PDA

View Full Version : Too much Alpha Male behaviour

Curvature
1st Oct 2007, 21:52
OK, so I have been neglecting the old body fitness for a while now. A combination of a certain 14 damn exams, late night snacking and now..the rugby world cup causing a large ingestion of beer.

My class 1 is up for renewal next month, and I stepped on the scales today for the first time in god knows when...AAAGHH. Current BMI calculated at 28!:eek:

Am I gonna get disqualified! I have since blown the cobwebs off the exercise bike and weights and filled the fridge full of lettuce.

Can anyone shed some light on what the limits are for the Class 1, before I now starve myself for a month.

IRRenewal
1st Oct 2007, 22:57
Is there a BMI limit for a class 1 medical?

Bob the Doc
2nd Oct 2007, 06:06
I would be surprised if there were a limit. As long as you can still fit on the seat you should be fine.

The doc may advise you about losing some pounds but I will be amazed if they rescind your licence.

gingernut
2nd Oct 2007, 13:47
From previous q&a's on here, it sounds like you have nowt to worry about, but it could be the kick up the ar*e you need to modify your lifestyle slightly:)

I've never heard of anyone failing a medical due to excessive BMI, perhaps others coudl enlighten.

cold_soak
6th Oct 2007, 09:51
Hi Curvature,

I have spend time in the cockpit with colleagues having BMIs waaaaayy above 28.

So stick with beer when watching the rugby :cool:

Shamrock274
6th Oct 2007, 17:26
Curvature

Tried looking in a couple of places including caa website, and could not find anything on BMI.

Probably not related to being a pilot, but i found this on NATS website for their controllers (who also need to get a class 1 medical)

Metabolic, Nutritional and Endocrine Diseases: Diabetes will normally be disqualifying. Obesity may be disqualifying. A Body Mass Index below 35 is a normal requirement for a Class 1 certificate.

All the best mate

ChocksAwayUK
9th Oct 2007, 12:27
Gawd.. if that's Alpha Male behaviour I'd dread to think to think what Beta behaviour was.

28 is nothing worry about, it's only just 'overweight'. Apparently the parameters are being readjusted to account for our ever enlarging population. I think there's even a new super-obese category. Also BMI isn't really that useful a measurement - it's only used as it's easy to determine. Someone could have a low body fat percentage and still be classed as overweight if they're a bit muscley. Don't get too hung-up on BMI. Anway, eating healthily and exercising are always good (and much more 'Alpha Male' behaviour surely?)

gingernut
9th Oct 2007, 19:32
:)Long term health risks are probl'y a bit more dependent on the size of ya'gut, than just your BMI anyhow.

Flyin'Dutch'
9th Oct 2007, 19:35
Lasors quote 35

Curvature
12th Oct 2007, 06:39
Thanks for all the replies!

I have since stopped the beer intake and am now exercising everyday. Feel great actually! Lost 2 kilos already. :ok: