PDA

View Full Version : Blame the Ops Dept ???

Captain Chaos001
15th Feb 2001, 10:13
Hi Guys

Ref the title of this topic. Don't you just hate it when this happens. Ops get the blame for everything that goes wrong within one's company.

Let me have you views on this topic,if this has ever happened to all you dispatchers/controllers out there.

CC

Hot and Dry
15th Feb 2001, 10:30
Well said that man........

Problem is most times it is our F**k up....

But if you are a Pilot they sit you down and discuss what went wrong over a coffee and how to stop it happening again...then they call it "CRM"

But if your Ops they do it behind your back first thing you know is when the boss pulls you in and Chinese whispers have blown it out of proportion........and the person who started it smiles every time they meet you as if nothing is wrong...

Wolf-In-Sheeps Clothing
16th Feb 2001, 07:01
Funny you should say that......
We just diverted an inbound ACE flight to LTN (was supposed to be LGW). Diverted due to rvr at 250-300m, LTN had 7km vis, Half-an-hour after he diverts, LGW rvr goes back-up to 900+rvr.!!! :rolleyes:
When the crew get back here (after 1hr plus tx journey plus 12hour FDP) they will attempt to "castrate" us in the office...... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif
We are just doing our jobs....

Mind you in ten minutes I have the priveledge of calling Flight Crew for a 0430hrs report, to retrieve the a/c!!! ;) :) ;)Teee Hhheeee!!!

Seee Yaaa Later..!

Ahhhh there back!! All agree that its Mr. Murphy and his well known law!!
------------------
Watch Out....
To Err is Human....
To Forgive is not Company policy...!

[This message has been edited by Wolf-In-Sheeps Clothing (edited 16 February 2001).]

walla
17th Feb 2001, 20:50
Hey guys,
I Know exactly what you mean, i work in the general aviation sector and we get the same crap.
Imagine this,one of your aircraft just dropped pax off at an airport.However the crew does not have time to fuel because the destination airport will be closed on arrival.If however he did have time and tanked up then the aircraft would be over its MTOW and landing weight,so you bring it back to its station and ask that outstation to refuel it before departure early next morning.
It does not get done so you miss your slot!!
Q) who's fault is it ?
A) Correct ops should have been at the outstation to make it happen.
mmmm whinge whinge what can you do except keep on smiling! They can'tmake you pregnant

vipero
18th Feb 2001, 00:33
If they blame us, we shoot'em...
nobody yet complained.
Try it once, it works for ever :)
Ciao
Paolo

"Flight Dispatchers tell pilots where to go"

walla
18th Feb 2001, 11:21
Vipero,
Cheers for the advise,however i would not waist my rounds (bullets)on them.
Instead i dish out the worst flights to the pilots giving me the most s**t and watch them throw their teddies in the corner.
Its great viewing and cheers you up no end.
Don't get me wrong not all our pilots are bad, just the chosen few.

lalapanzi
19th Feb 2001, 04:07
http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/blackeye2/GCconfusedpink.gif and you wonder why there is a them & us? http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/blackeye2/GCeekpurple.gif With block-heads like you in an ops department not surprising.

------------------
say it with icons!

Captain Chaos001
19th Feb 2001, 04:28
lalapanzi

You must be a pilot ?? All pilots as far as I am concerend along with the ops dept I work for agree that all pilots are a bunch of W***ers, S**t for brains, god anyone can fly a plane it doesn't take much brains to do a job like that.

Now the Ops jobs on other hand is much more stressful and demanding trying to keep you pratts in the air safe and sound.

I myself am in the Corporate Aviation field
having to deal with spoilt little brats (Pilots) who haven't been properly potty trained and are still on their mummy's milk.

CC

Stirling
19th Feb 2001, 10:04
Blame the Ops department, usually for something they have no control over?? Criticize them after the event with the luxury of time/facts/a quiet office etc

Frustrating at the best of times to work in Ops, but nature of the beast really....

vipero
19th Feb 2001, 10:13
Lala...if there's a "them" and "us" what shall we do? They cannot be blamed to be pilots... :)
Ciao
Paolo

Deep Float
19th Feb 2001, 13:57
.........and he's back!!!

VP8
19th Feb 2001, 23:55
If lala is who I think it is he's ex crewing/ops, carroect me if i'm wrong lala..

VP8

walla
20th Feb 2001, 00:58
Hey Lala,
Like Captain chaos said you are either a pilot or awanna be pilot,either way you have obviously got your head up someone's arse.
If you are in ops/crewing as suggested, are you one of these yes men who grovel to anyone with a pair of wings.(brown included)

And the them and us is caused by people like yourself.

lalapanzi
20th Feb 2001, 03:30
My my I have hurt the feelings of the ops staff. http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/cwm2/la.gif
So lets see Captain Chaos001 - why the need to pass yourself off as a Captain? Must be your hidden desire to attain to that humble position, realising never really going to make it. http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/cwm2/cwm14.gif Oh lets not forget you only get to play with toy aeroplanes. http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/geno/asshole.gif
Vipero - Is there an answer? http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/geno/bazooka.gif
Deep Float - if you are refering to me, never been away!
VP8 - http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/tweetz/scared.gif what would you like corrected?
Walla - Like the would be Captain got it wrong so have you. All it takes is tact, persistance & you soon have the pilots doing what you want. Oh you also need to sound 100% convincing that you actually have a handle on the plot - is this where you lot get it wrong?? http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/s/tweetz/moon.gif

------------------
say it with icons!

walla
20th Feb 2001, 04:52
Lala,
Whats with all the icons,i take it this is your idea of wit ?
No thats right you have just led a sheltered life inside you boring ego.
It takes alot more than you can dish out to hurt us up ops lads.
(oh yeh how do you do those icons)
Walla

lalapanzi
20th Feb 2001, 14:19
Walla
You seem to know alot about me & my ego. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif Anyway you complain about me using icons, then you want to know how :)
Is that not typical of ops - Criticise what you don't understand, then want to be included in the bigger scheme of things. ;)

------------------
say it with icons!

KYGMSY
20th Feb 2001, 23:28
This is becoming like the topic I posted a few months back :

Lala - It's because of us that you do any flying at all. WE tell YOU where to go.

At the end of the day you pilots are nothing but delivery boy's and glorified post men.

Thrust Bump
20th Feb 2001, 23:50
Lalapanzi is NOT a pilot http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

vipero
21st Feb 2001, 02:06
KYG, you're da man!

///Correct Version///
Walla, just click on icon with the "right" button, select "properties" and copy the site...easy...

Ciao
Paolo

[This message has been edited by vipero (edited 20 February 2001).]

walla
21st Feb 2001, 03:04
Vipero,
Cheers buddie, a new toy to play with Yippeee.
We can all be just like Lala.

Lala ref your ego na i don't know anything about it, but at least the subject waisted a few hours, what can we discuss now ?

lalapanzi
21st Feb 2001, 03:10
Vipero - I think you meant right mouse button :)
KYGMSY - don't recall any mention of being a pilot http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/cgi-bin/r.cgi?anym If I recall all you could do then was slag pilots off - envious

------------------
say it with icons!

lalapanzi
21st Feb 2001, 04:11
Walla - glad vipero cleared that up for you.
Await with interest all your icons. If problems e-mail me. ;)

------------------
say it with icons!

walla
21st Feb 2001, 04:22
Erm i'm a bit fick me, i cannot seem to get the hang of this icon craze.

where exactly are the the icons from which iam supposed to right click, select properties and copy ? i am an icon virgin and wan't to lose my cherry.

PiperChauffeur
21st Feb 2001, 23:21
Walla - U might want to look at a thread in misc. There is everything explained about the boring icons http://www.geocities.com/thehugmonster/animations/iconpuke.gif

And yes, I hate it too, when the ops dep is blamed for everything. Blame us for the weather, u/s AC, strikes in other deps, U must have to understand IT IS WHAT WE ARE HERE FOR!! Dispatching is just an extrajob we do, when nobody blames us.

boxjockey99
22nd Feb 2001, 23:30
Guy's I'm gonna venture into what is becoming a heated argument and put my two pennethworth in also.

I have to admit I am a pilot although I am currently undergoing my training as part of a sponsorship with one of the airlines.

As part of this sponsorship the company asked me to do 2 weeks in ops as a way of learning how and what ops do. this experience included working the 12 hour day AND night shift and all the crappy jobs that ops end up with. As it turns out I am now a part time Ops Officer.

What I am building to is that I don't think that crews are aware of exactly what ops do for them (for example how many of the crews understand the intricacies of CFMU or know how to book slots etc, they just expect it all to be done.) I think the time I have spent and continue to spend in the ops environment will make me not only more efficient as a crew member but also make the working relations between ops and crews that little bit less 'us and them'

Perhaps crew should be asked to do the same as I have done, perhaps they might learn something about commercial air operations that my benifit them (such as when to put in an REA)

Hope that pacifies some ops people and sparks a little more debate!

BTB
22nd Feb 2001, 23:58
Boxjockey, what a CRM babe! You must have OD`d on Lennon tapes from 1972. Right though.

Stirling
23rd Feb 2001, 03:46
Well said boxjockey!

As taildragger has found out to his detriment on another ops thread, some ops guys seem to be very much stuck in the us and them past.

Splendid idea that you fly boys (and girls!) spend some time with the hard working ops lads - bit of appreciation for what the other side does never goes amiss - just be sure you can find you're way to the kitchen!

BTW, can I borrow some of those Lennon tapes, cr@p set of shifts just finished!

lalapanzi
25th Feb 2001, 18:59
Has anyone ever stopped long enough to consider why 'it's blame the ops department'?
The negative responses that have been posted indicate that those people have not yet grasped the ops function.
As the nerve center of the airline, all departments look at ops for the answers, you have control of day to day ops. And just like in any other business in order to function efficiently there has to be a two-way flow of information.
As the Ops Dept don't forget you are also in the service industry and your major customers are the aircrew, like it or not, that is a fact. Now these customers expect a level of service in order to perform their task - operate the aeroplane, just like you when going into a store expect a level of service, this is no different.
Basic functions should be to get to know your customers. Understand their needs, and quirks. By knowing what they expect you can anticipate their needs, and keep ahead of the game. They are individuals and as such will have varying levels of requirements. Admittedly some will be more demanding than others, but having identified this you can react accordingly. Once they realise that you are on top of the game it only gets easier.
You are there to ensure flights operate as per the company's commercial programme. Aircrew are tasked with exactly the same function. Just as the dispatcher has their job, passenger handling theirs, catering, cleaning etc etc, the prime objectives are all the same.
Company's can help by opening CRM to all front-line departments. Courses comprising of pilots, cabincrew, ground operations & engineers will give an insight into each others areas of problems and will lend to a better understanding of each other.
I have no doublt that this will not sit well with the die-hard them & us brigade. It is not pampering to the needs of 'pilots' it is doing the job you are paid for.

Stirling
26th Feb 2001, 09:59
Lalapanzi.....
Doing the job we are paid for?? Absolutely right, but does that mean we have to sit back and take the constant flak for apparantley every problem that occurs within the airline?? I'm afraid that, if you have any kind of personality whatsoever, it will p**s you off, and you'll do your utmost to inform/educate those accusing you of exactly what problems you are facing - CONSTANTLY!
Is that so wrong or will that offend the delicate pilot 'customer' fraternity you so desperately want to belong to? Maybe that'll lead to the better understanding you mention....or not.

I enjoyed reading your comments about not having grasped the Ops function. I think we all know only too well what the Ops function has become, and it's certainly not what it used to be. Maybe it is pilots/cabin crew/airport staff in general that cannot fully appreciate the Operational decision making process, and have no appreciation of what being the nerve centre involves, and it is they who are in desperate need of education. The flow of information can be very difficult, especially when the party you are attempting to get your point to is not interested because 'it's only ops mucking the programme around again'. Again, who's fault is that?

Our customers are the flight crew? Have to disagree with your choice of words - shop steward is something I'll never be! - but I take your point. Indeed they are, but are we not working together, not for them? Lets not forget that for a start. For an annoyingly increasing majority, being on top of the game is not good enough for some these days.

Companies, as well as individual attitudes, can play a huge part in decreasing the divide that will always be there between Ops and flight crew. Dont get me wrong, I'm certainly not one of the infamous 'them and us' believers, but the divide is their and will always be. Appreciation and respect is a two way thing that, as has been proved on many threads including this one, is diminishing towards humble Ops people.

vipero
26th Feb 2001, 12:54
I agree with you Stirling.
Maybe this is not making you too happy, 'cause I consider myself one of the infamous ones, but I turned this way after having worked with "them".

Ciao
Paolo

KYGMSY
28th Feb 2001, 00:05
Does anyone have any problems with the engineers then ?? We don't, only pilots.

lalapanzi
28th Feb 2001, 04:15
Stirling - thanks for your comments, which on the whole I would not entirely disagree with. Educating the aircrew as to the actual function ops is there to perform is something that needs to be addressed right at the beginning with new intakes.
Do you not think that CRM to include all front-line staff is a way forward?
Do you also not think that a reason many of the pilots don't appreciate or understand ops is that they no longer have that one to one contact. As company's have grown, ops & crewing have become accessible via telephones or e-mail, the doors are kept closed.

walla
28th Feb 2001, 11:48
Lala,
I agree the CRM course should be for anyone working as a team both ops and crew.
ref pilots not having one to one thats also true.
our company is small so there is that one to one, some crew are from the old school and do their own thing anyway.
Walla

flugpants
28th Feb 2001, 17:17
Give a pilot a choice.....and he will want both options available to him at all times....make a company decision and it will always be the wrong one in the eyes of the flight deck!!

Pants!!

------------------
Remember - wherever you may be.....there you are!

Stirling
1st Mar 2001, 22:49
Lala..agree with both yourself and Walla. CRM is an ideal way to address some problems from the outset, especially with new intakes. Some old school may still disagree with the way things are done, but at least they can appreciate the reasoning behind decisions taken. Should we stop at just flight crew education, or take it one step further to encompass other ground handling staff? Again, my opinion is that this can only lead to better working relationships.

Although the one to one comment rings true, personally I think this contact is essential for crewing, but not really a necessity for Ops. So long as an Ops department is proffessional on all fronts and approachable when required, the need for a constant stream of crews through the office can be an irritation, especially with the larger operators. It's certainly a fine line between discouraging crew contact and encouraging them to come to us with relevant requests. Where do you draw the line?

vipero
1st Mar 2001, 23:28
Good point Stirling.
I would not imagine all pilots coming to ops desk asking for changings or different kind of needs. Standardization is what can save us all, since as we say in Italy: "some wants it rare, some wants it well done...". Of course we cannot provide customized briefings, according to whom is going to receive them (our rep in Mexico have a picture of each cpt, and according who's coming they assume different attitude :) it's a joke, but not too far from reality...).
It is indeed necessary that flying crews report what is wrong or what could be improved, but following the company's line of responsability. Then reports are discussed, and when a change is considered applicable, it is applied to the whole community.
Our pilots, when leaving from the homebase are briefed by dispatchers, but when leaving from outstations they just receive a stack of paper without meeting us. They normally operate the same, then I guess a physical meeting is not actually necessary.

Ciao
Paolo

lalapanzi
2nd Mar 2001, 03:12
Stirling - when I mentioned front-line staff that includes Dispatchers, Passenger Handling, Baggage loaders, even the engineers http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif
The time has come for a better understanding of all roles and just where they fit into the equation. Come on lets invite the cleaners & caterers, their role is no less important.

------------------
say it with icons!

Low life
6th Mar 2001, 11:09
Its strange, am often commended for my comunications with handling agents, Engineering, and other agencies, but I have an "Attitude problem" with pilots. It seems to me there is a very small number (in my company at least) who need you to blow sunshine up their arse before they will do what they are paid for. These few then throw teddies all over the place if they dont get what they want and as soon as you say "Grow up" they run crying to the fleet office crying "he's been nasty to me". fortunately in my company these muppets account for about 10%, the rest are decent crews who seem to understand the workings of commercial aviation

Doctor Cruces
6th Mar 2001, 16:42
Imagine these scenarios. They are all real and happened to myself or my colleagues. It just goes to show that it really IS all Ops fault ALL of the time.

The week before Xmas a small airport closes because it has snowed and the airport doesn't have sufficient servisable equipment to clear it and when it does get cleared runs out of de icer for the ramp and it is so slippery that it is dodgy even to walk on. When it does open up again the shiny jets, of course, get preference. This, in the very unhumble opinnion of the CEO, is definately ops fault and we all get one of his special morale boosting talks, feely interspersed with the usual words like bunch of f***ing wa**kers, useless, why do we have an ops department, could do better myself etc etc.

When we do fly again, it seems there is no de icing fluid for aircraft to be had in all of Ireland. This is because no one expected it to snow (after all it was only MID winter) and there has been an unforseen demand for the stuff. Also the ferry that has the extra de-icer on board can't sail either cos the wx has been too bad. Quite naturally the boss isn't really best impressed as we should get some over on the ferry (which is not operating but that doesn't seem to matter and is probably something to do with ops being involved ) Obviously another Ops failing. Morale boosting talk full of words such as f***ing wa**kers, useless, why do we bother having an ops department, could do better myself etc etc. (These of course are the edited, printable highlights of his tirades as indeed are all of these precis!.)

One of the customers repeatedly turns up late with frt for the flights and as a result the flight runs late, as do all subsequent flights on that particular a/c. As this customer seems to run the airline and therefore gets exactly what it requires, boss and commercial will not approach them about getting their stuff here on time so the aircraft can operate on time. Of course the customer complains that the flight was late off and it's all bl**dy ops fault again because they are a bunch of f***ing w**kers etc etc etc., and I'm going to close ops down and do it myself.

Another customer holds a flight at an outstation for so long that the crew have to go into discretion to complete the last leg. They do this on a regular basis. Commercial are not interested despite being warned by ops that the crews are getting sick of it and will one day soon tell them where to stuff their last leg, find hotac and not be seen for several hours with consequent crewing and scheduling problems. Ops Controller dare not tell customer that he is having his aeropllane out of xyz NOW as the boss will go absolutely ape and he will get a morale boosting talk, (see above.) As a consequence, it runs very late, is ops fault anyway and ops get yet another good morale boosting talk from CEO. (you know the script now).

One Capt has a tech problem on his a/c which reduces his take off performance. He does not wish to take the aircraft on his planned route for valid FLIGHT SAFETY reasons. The controller on duty threatens to report him as being uncooperative as he obviously does not wish to have a morale improving chat from the boss in the morning. The boss finds out next day and the captain is, in his absence, tried, found guilty of being a f***ing w**ker etc etc etc and the controller in question gets a pat on the head from the boss as being a chip off the old block!! Of course, ops shouldn't have put this particular captain on this particular route as this fault had been around for some time and this captain has an aversion to flying unservisable aircraft (Can't see why!.) So, notwithstanding previous pat on head, ops are a bunch of etc etc etc.

Depite much crew sickness leaving barely enough crews to go around and despite aircraft going u/s on a regular basis with the same problems as yesterday, the day before etc.,(looked at it chief, no fault found//changed a box that should do it and other EASY fixes) meaning that there were sometimes three or four u/s aircraft a day, commercial still insisted on selling aircraft despite advice from ops and crewing. Don't get me wrong, I am as aware as the next person that it is flying that pays my wages and extra charters make a lot more money than regular contract flights which is why we always try every possible way to get them done, but when we already are struggling to crew the existing flying by calling in favours, asking crews to give up days off, leave etc etc and having to move a/c round to get servisable ones in the right place, sometimes commercial need to understand that it is time to stop saying "yes" we can do that. Despite being advised, commercial still sell and the commercial manager says "I have every confidence you can crew it" and when crewing/ops can't crew it the usual morale boosting talk ensues.

The boss has such a reputation within the ops department that no-one wants to initiate a call to him unless it is absolutely and unavoidably necessary. No one is actually frightened of him but there is no requirement to make a bad day even worse than it already is by having a conversation with him that usually ended with words to the effect that as ops seem incapable of sorting it out he would come and do it himself. One person has already left because of him and the rest of Ops are looking.

So, don't worry about aircrew giving Ops a bad time, this bloke makes them seem like amateurs!! After him it was sheer pleasure dealing with stroppy aircrew.

Keep up the good work

Doc C

------------------
'An intellectual is someone who has been educated beyond common sense.'

vipero
6th Mar 2001, 18:08
Doc C...are you me?? same problems, CEO is like mine...Sure you're not me huh?

Ciao
Paolo

(and where they get there, we tell them how to get back home)

Doctor Cruces
6th Mar 2001, 21:06
Rats, I thought I had a split personality!!

But alas, no sorry big V, I'm not you.

Sad to hear my experience is not the only one.

Doc C

------------------
'An intellectual is someone who has been educated beyond common sense.'