PDA

View Full Version : Covering Letter - TR

The Otter's Pocket
1st Oct 2007, 17:11
So there is a huge debate at the moment regarding those people who are willing to pay for a TR.

For those who are already in an airline, did you
a. Pay for the TR and then apply for jobs.
b. Apply for a job without a TR and then on the covering letter state..."I would be willing to pay for a TR".

I would welcome the views of other pilots job hunting regarding this issue.

I haven't made up my mind as to which is the right way of doing this, I would rather not have to pay for a TR.

As I am too skint working as an FI.

Eff-Ohhh
3rd Oct 2007, 10:54
Hi there. This in only what I conclude after speaking to recent arrivals at my airline, and is no way advice for the market in general, but...

I gather that If you completed an intergrated course at a school that has had some input from your targeted airline into the content of the course (SOPs tought during MCC etc.) then whether you have a type rating or not shouldn't make a difference, and they'll probably give your CV a good look.

If you are modular as I was (all but one of the people on my course were modular), they seemed to look at candidates whom showed evidence of getting aerial work experience after IR training rather than just a type rating. As a guide, my course was made up of a parachute dropper, a flying instructor, and some air taxi guys. The person with no experience at all couldn't keep up with the type rating an was saddly booted off the course.

So if you're interested in a job where I work (BMI), I'd say don't bother with a TR, and try to get as much on your CV to show that you are willing to make serious sacrifices for what you love (6 months air taxi is proof enough).

Good luck. :ok: