PDA

View Full Version : Licensing

JSaeroengineer
30th Sep 2007, 21:21
Hey everybody,
Just a quick question- im a 16 year old currently studying aircraft engineering nvq2, and next year i will be completing my 'A' License in aircraft engineering. As i have ambitions of moving to, and working in the U.S.A, are there conversions that go from A/B license to A&P license?

thanks for the help

mainwheel
30th Sep 2007, 22:58
JS,

You will need your licence, documented and certified proof of 3 years experience in all ATA chapters.

You sit 3 exams, do an oral and a practical and your home.

There are schools all over the USA that can accomadate you.

sdh2903
1st Oct 2007, 11:27
EASA A/B does not convert to A&P in any way. You will have to do the full A+P syllabus as described above, however in my opinion it is not as dificult a process as the EASA license.

munster
1st Oct 2007, 15:25
welcome to the world of aircraft engineering. in my opinion you would be better off studying for your B1 or B2 from the start. (its only a few more exams than an A licence), get your experience with a UK airline, then spend your time in the US on holiday, pay rates in the US are terrible compared what can be made in the UK. for more information try a look at www airmech.co.uk

good luck:ok:

ps as a contractor you will be making more money than the pilots

JSaeroengineer
1st Oct 2007, 15:26
:ooh: whole A&P syllabus to do :ooh:
thats daunting :eek:
Thanks for your help guys

JSaeroengineer
1st Oct 2007, 15:28
yeah i've tried going straight for my B license, but the only way i can be accepted for an airline is if i have an A license :confused:

pedro37
2nd Oct 2007, 06:47
:ok:The exams dont cost too much nowadays, so invest in yourself and sit the B licence exam when you have done most of the work anyway.You cant hold the full licence until you are 21.But it will make a vast difference to you and your career prospects.A licence£20000,B licence £35000+.Best £25 you will spend, not even a night on the piss.

sdh2903
2nd Oct 2007, 15:41
It would definitly be a wiser move to go straight for the B license, you do 85-90% of the work doing the A license syllabus then you have to go over it all again to do the B.

Also dont forget you will automatically get an A license when you complete the B.

I also wouldnt be so dismissive about not getting a position with an airline unless you have a license. There are many companies out there who employ unlicensed mechanics especially in base maintenance, where in my opinion you will learn a lot more about aircraft maintenance and gain the relevant experience for your license. Then you would be in a better position to get employment out on the Line.

The license isnt everything for someone at your age as you cant even hold an A license till you turn 18 anyhow. If i were you I would try and get some on the job experience somewhere maybe even at weekends/evenings just for starters.