PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit sterilty

solocmv
30th Sep 2007, 12:37
Hey All,
On a recient international flight back home with our carrier, I was both suprised and encouraged that children were being given access to the cockpit.
While this practice is fantastic thrill for those concerned, I thought it was of a by gone era.
Is it actually allowed by the airline and the regulations?

Cheers,
Solocmv.

Aussie
30th Sep 2007, 13:05
Whos "our international carrier" Qantas or Jetstar????:}:E

MinimaNoContact
30th Sep 2007, 13:05
Which airline??

Wizofoz
30th Sep 2007, 13:56
Solo,

Might I suggest you DON'T identify the airline concerned, as I would pretty much guarantee that if this was happening, someone was seriously breaching both SOPs and the law, all be it with the best of intentions.

I hate the fact that we can't let kids up front any more (including my own!! My 9 year old might be a terrorist without me knowing, after all (actually, now I come to think about it...)), but it is a fact of life under every jurisdiction I am aware of.

Best not dob these people in- though I've no doubt they'll get caught quickly enough if they keep it up.

SmokingHole
30th Sep 2007, 15:10
As a pax on a BN-PH flight a few months back on VB, while sitting in my fave seat 1A, Captain comes out to make himself a cuppa. I couldn't help myself so got up and started a yarn and soon established we had mutual friends. Several minutes into the conversation, two CC approached us presumably to check things were ok and left when satisfied with the response.

I did ask about a look 'up front' but a firm yet courteous 'No' was the response. Think we were both dissapointed.:(

Such a shame that this is just the way things are now. Good on him for sticking to his guns I guess.

Airbus_a321
30th Sep 2007, 17:21
On a recient international flight back home with our carrier, I was both suprised and encouraged that children were being given access to the cockpit.
----and what's the problem on that:confused::confused:

Peter Fanelli
30th Sep 2007, 17:32
Well given that we don't even know where his "home" is, aren't you all jumping the gun a little here? Just because he shows Australia as his location doesn't mean it's his home therefore QF and Jetstar may not be his home carriers.

****!!! I wrote Jetstar in full, is that allowed?

D'oh, I did it again!

Capt Claret
30th Sep 2007, 17:59
It might also have been a flight 'home' with a transit stop somewhere, during which time, the pre-pubescent potential terrorists were granted access to the flight deck, further enabling their evil plot.

Ron & Edna Johns
30th Sep 2007, 20:18
Whilst in the air or on the ground, solocmv?

On the ground - it's perfectly ok. This year, anyway, until DOTARs get their grubby little hands on that piece of info. "My God, CHILDREN have actually been daring to look in the cockpit during turnarounds? BAN IT!!"

And "Cockpit Sterility"? That's all about keeping chit-chat about non-operational matters down to a dull roar during certain phases of flight, eg, not talking about Port Adelaide's flogging when you're at V1. I hardly think painting a picture of little Johnny or little Mary contaminating the pristine, non-terrorist-tainted flight-deck environment is hardly a fair or reasonable one.... :\

ABX
1st Oct 2007, 00:30
D'oh, I did it again!

You crack me up Pete!:}

cunninglinguist
1st Oct 2007, 02:45
and what's the problem on that

other than being against the law, nothing.

My 9 year old might be a terrorist without me knowing

Wiz, are'nt all 9 year olds terrorists ;)

Jet_A_Knight
1st Oct 2007, 03:16
Cunning - you're wrong, there is a difference between a 9 year old and a terrorist.

You can negotiate with a terrorist.:suspect:

C441
1st Oct 2007, 04:20
And thus it follows that the national airline's hierarchy and the pilots association are really a bunch of 9 year olds!

Agony
2nd Oct 2007, 03:02
Harsh......................but fair !:cool:

roamingwolf
2nd Oct 2007, 03:46
i thought cockpit sterility was when the astronauts all had the chop and were firing blanks

Skystar320
2nd Oct 2007, 05:25
ooooh dear, its such a shame really. You could have walked in a couple of years ago.....

Oh dear, seems I just get my government ID out (not ASIC) to be privilaged?

works wonders

woodja51
2nd Oct 2007, 14:19
yes so sad to see cockpit access denied due to the paranoia of the governments of the world... I still see more folks die in silly and unnecessary accidents -like running off runways at high speed/GPWS/TCAS ignorance/ etc...and other assorted aircraft crashes than did in 911 attacks. (and continue to in IRAQ, afganistan etc etc because of it...)

If they(the pollies) spent as much time/effort/ money etc on pilot training + standards as they do making us taking off our shoes and stopping little 9 year old johnny from coming to say hi and take a few happy snaps we might actually be safer overall.... but it gives the illusion of safety.. of course you dont see any El AL flights have a problem.. wonder why that is?? perhaps they exclude certain types of pax?? oops PC incorrect?
should get some bites for that one!

Union Jack
2nd Oct 2007, 14:40
"Captain comes out to make himself a cuppa. I couldn't help myself ..."

"... two CC approached us presumably to check things were ok and left when satisfied with the response ..."

It's not difficult to make a cuppa, but it's nice to know that the CC were concerned enough to check that the Captain could manage by himself!:)

Actually, I'm more concerned by the fact that he had to do it in the first place .... or maybe he just wanted to stretch his legs.

Jack

PS Ask on the ground next time!