PDA

View Full Version : Performance question (RoC)

Vone Rotate
30th Sep 2007, 08:54
Good morning people...

Just started my days studying only to be haunted by a question I came across last time and still can't work the bugg$* out:ugh::ugh:.

If anyone can explain what needs to be done would be a big help. Failing this I'll call my tutor tomorrow. Here goes and no laughing!!

An aircraft with a gradient of 3.3% flying at an IAS of 85Kt at a pressure altitude of 8000ft with a temperature of +15 C will have a rate of climb of:

a) 284ft/min
b) 623ft/min
c) 1117ft/min
d) 334ft/min

Any help on how you get to the answer would be soooo much appreciated.
Thanks.

Keith.Williams.
30th Sep 2007, 11:15
This type of problem can be solved using the fact that

% Climb = approximately (ROC in ft/min) /( TAS in Kts)

This can be rearranged to give

ROC = approximatley % climb x TAS

To use this equation you ust use your CRP5 to convert your IAS of 85Kt at a pressure altitude of 8000ft with a temperature of +15 C, into TAS. I do not have a CRP5 to hand, but you should get about 100 Kts TAS

Putting this together with your 3.3% climb gradient into the equation gives

ROC = approximately 3.3 x 100 = approximately 333 ft/min.

If you wish to be more accurate use the equation

Still air % gradient = (ROC/TAS) x (6000/6080) %

You can find this equation in your CAP 698.

helimutt
30th Sep 2007, 11:45
Strangely enough, since doing my exams over 5 years ago, and now flying commercially, i've never once needed to work something like this out!! LMAO:ok:

Keith.Williams.
30th Sep 2007, 13:21
Ah well, now we are getting into the question of

What is the link between what you need to know to pass the JAR exams and what you need to know to fly commercially

I'm afraid I do not have a simple equation for that one, and you will not find one in the CAP698.

ITO
30th Sep 2007, 13:26
YA ! That's sur, you got to the point, and we can add to that so many theoritical deeply detailed aspect found in the ATPL that will most probabelly never be used, except during the exams, so that the papers you'll get stamped by the CAA will state that you have the required knowledge, up to standard, and after some years, using the FMGS, and other electronics poping up on nowadays airplane, you'll not have them anymore. Aaaaaall forgotten :}:}:}

Vone Rotate
30th Sep 2007, 14:34
Thanks Keith, that was spot on...

I'm in the fire service, when in training school we had to learn everything about everything as an example when we covered knots and lines (or ropes) we didn't just have to learn how to tie the knots we also had to learn how the lines were made, the length, thickness, color, weight, weight when wet, the name of the guys cat who made it in the factory etc etc.

I thought those days were behind me..... How wrong was I:{
I suppose as was the case with the fire service, as well as ensuring you have a good understanding of the career you are embarking on its a way of filtering out the ones who really really want it to those who would just 'like to do it'. Its all a big game!

Good luck to all those who read this and are, like me, getting down at times with the thought of all this hard work in front of you. Like all things in life if you really want something you have to work for it:ok:

helimutt
30th Sep 2007, 21:17
They are just hoops! Jump through them to get to where you want to be. The exams aren't that difficult, and yes, I guarantee you'll forget vast amounts you learn for the exams.!

1....2.....3.....Jump!

enjoy.:ok: