PDA

View Full Version : Qantas not paying new starters for over 6 weeks!!!

Long Bay Mauler
30th Sep 2007, 06:38
I have recently heard of two new employees not being paid after their initial six weeks of employment at Qantas.They are still expected to work as normal and not grumble,yet the only response from management is that they will look into it.:=

For a billion dollar company like Qantas,this simply isnt good enough!

I bet all new executives get paid from day one,so why shouldn't employees in other positions such as ramp,ground handling,check-in,etc?

Considering this is an election year,and Qantas are pumping so much money into the Workchoices campaign,I think that this should be perhaps highlighted to the public and potential new employees that GD & co may not pay you straight away if you start at the red rat.

I suppose it is only fair that the lowest wage earners in the company help fund the 27% pay increases for certain executives.

Has anybody else heard of similar stories?

bushy
30th Sep 2007, 06:53
When I did charter work for Qantas travel they would not pay the bill for six weeks, or more if you missed the day they did the accounting.

TINTIN25
30th Sep 2007, 07:35
Not acceptable for any business unless there was an understanding that the 6 weeks was an unpaid internship?

Part of the blame has to go the new pilots too. You will find some people are desperate to fly the big jets that they will accept anything just to be there.

tail wheel
30th Sep 2007, 08:40
"I have recently heard of two new employees not being paid after their initial six weeks of employment"

"I have recently heard" or "I know for a fact"?

Have they agreed to no wages during a new type endorsement period?

If they are due for wages, have you advised the "two new employees" to immediately contact the Qantas personnel department or which ever section pays the wages?

If they don't get satisfaction from Qantas, have you advised them to immediately contact the Office of the Employment Advocate (http://www.oea.gov.au/)?

Do you really think posting on PPRuNe may expedite payment of their wages?

I know this is a rumour network but we expect some integrity to the rumours!

Tail Wheel

slamer.
30th Sep 2007, 10:15
TINTIN25Part of the blame has to go the new pilots too. You will find some people are desperate to fly the big jets that they will accept anything just to be there.

Great, poor new hire has to take the blame, while the incumbents sit back and watch from the sidelines.. where is your association on these matters?? ....:rolleyes: ( I will assume these are pilots you are talking about)

Consider this... unpaid new-hire, jumps in brand new multi-million dollar simulator and puts it on its side (think of that figuratively)...... who pays...???

Air NZ tried this (not paying) a number of years ago, but after a short time "wisely" thought better of it.

Long Bay Mauler
30th Sep 2007, 11:49
Yes Tail wheel I know these two people for a fact havent been paid.

And because they are new starters,they feel intimidated.They feel this way because they have to keep asking for their rightful pay because their probation period is not up yet.

No they didnt agree to start work for no pay.They in fact expected to be paid at the end of their first pay period,namely in this case,the first fortnight.

No they are not pilots,but yes they are employed by Qantas mainline.

And Yes,I have advised them to speak with PeopleConnect because their direct manager has not taken this cause up with the speed with which it requires.:ugh:

I realise that PPRUNE is not going to get them paid any quicker,but am wondering if this is part of a larger problem.If it is,then this sort of rubbish should be dealt with.We are talking about people who have a mortgage and kids,and bills,etc.I just wanted to see if other employees are having the same or similar difficulties getting paid at the moment.

We all expect the right thing to be done when talking about wages,because companies are not charities,and as such shouldnt get our labour for free.

QF-Conductor
30th Sep 2007, 12:34
It is fact.
No pay plus no security clearance.
It is happening.

Long Bay Mauler
30th Sep 2007, 12:41
Yes sounds like you know of same/similar story to what I am talking about.

captaintunedog777
30th Sep 2007, 20:30
Bug a lug

Qustion why would you post a stupid post like this when it does not relate to any pilot or aviation issue? You should try "My Bitch at today tonight" I think the moderators need to tidy up this forum.:ugh:

Sunfish
30th Sep 2007, 21:01
Yes it does relate to aviation since the subjects of the post apparently are employed by an airline.

Furthermore, if the allegations are correct, it suggests a deeply troubling attitude to employees. One wonders for example, if these people have not been paid, what has happened to workers compensation, superannuation and even Qantas's own insurance?

How can Qantas even give them any directions as an employer if they are unpaid?

They are effectively in limbo, and the courts will tear Qantas to shreds if by chance there is an accident or incident involving either of these two.

captaintunedog777
30th Sep 2007, 23:27
Sunfish

Try Kindy. You think I or others professionally employed within the industry wanna hear the goings on 2 dunny cleaners employed by Qantas but not yet paid. Go vent your hate on Qantas in your cubby house.

Will964
1st Oct 2007, 01:27
Captaintunedog777
Your ignorance astonishes me. I for one like to be aware of any organisational issues surrounding the company I fly for, and hence the health of the organisation. These individuals who are not being paid could be your dispatcher, baggage loader, engineer, tug drive etc. Considering your level of flying experience, I would have hoped you understood that those issues affecting the safety of your aircraft are not always in open sight. And, apart from the fact that these issues may directly affect you, why not have some compassion for your fellow colleagues!!!

captaintunedog777
1st Oct 2007, 06:27
Will do you honestly believe a publicly listed company such as Qantas is now not paying its employees. Come on!!!

Sunfish
1st Oct 2007, 08:55
Doggy, go and start looking at insurance and employment law, which is what I am referring to....

To put it another way...... an uncontracted, probationary, acting lance blank file runs a forklift into the side of a 747.

Guess who pays?????

cribble
1st Oct 2007, 09:12
Doggy7
Your faith in big business is touching (your surname isn't "Dixon", perchance?)
I was one of the (at least) two pilots rejoining Air NZ in '94 who were not going to be paid until we had finished our sim work. In that company's defence, it only took a request for a letter to that effect (for the Social Services folks) to get a "food and shelter" payment to get us through.
The Brierly rapists of that time are really not much different to the QANTAS owners: witness the recent buyout saga.

QF-Conductor
1st Oct 2007, 10:28
Will do you honestly believe a publicly listed company such as Qantas is now not paying its employees. Come on!!!

Dog7

I hope your not this blinkered flying your aircraft.
You have probably already depended on the a couple of these people to get your figures and loading correct. Hope they don't have the same attitude towards you as you have towards them.

Remember, as Brisbane Catering have already stated, it takes a long time to get a security clearance and we have a staff shortage problem.

Oh.. and the two subjects are linked, non payment of staff and non-security cleared if you think about it.