PDA

View Full Version : Federal Air, Durban as a flying school.

Contacttower
29th Sep 2007, 22:28
I'm considering doing some flying training with Federal Air, can anyone recommend them? I'd appreciate any comments/experiences people have about them.

Current Limiter
30th Sep 2007, 08:15
I have had experience of all the flying schools at Virginia. In my oppinion, Federal Air run a good shop, but I think that the most professional school must be Virginia Flight School. Not sure what are the price differences for the training that you want done, but perhaps shop around a bit.

Good luck and safe flying.

I.R.PIRATE
30th Sep 2007, 17:27
Federal Air is a very decent setup with a good bunch of instructors, who have experience in the charter environment as well, which I certainly value in this day and age when 220 hour instructors are the norm. Most of the Federal Air chaps are current on various turbine aircraft and active in the industry which makes a major difference in the type of experience they can convey to students.

I have heard some serious horror stories about the other school mentioned, when it concerns moving on and making a career for one's self. Credible threats of "I will make sure you wont get a job in this industry...etc etc etc, especially when it comes to perhaps taking freelance work away from some of the bigger boys in that outfit"...so I would do some home work first.

night_rider
1st Oct 2007, 09:43
In my honest opinion,

FedAir - They more worried about turbine time and with 1 X 152 (FDF or something good luck....) All the pilots I know working for them didnt train with them so I wouldnt let that worry you...

Natal Flight School - By the time I post this I think it will be owned by someone else.... I wouldnt put to much of my money into that one...

Virginia Flight School - With 2 DE's , over 15 instructors and about about the same amount of planes(150,152,172,PA28,Arrow,C206, and a few more, some new and old ones!), I wouldnt go any where else! They have a online system there now linked to CAA for the PPL exams.

Enjoy who ever you choose, PM me for some more insight into any of the above company's!

NR!

Frallifraxer
1st Oct 2007, 14:30
I have been to Fedair and i love it greet place top instructors and super aircraft at FAVG my money would go to Fedair and maybe Natal flight academy not the other place last time I checked they where located in a old caravan without wheels. :ugh: If you want more info about fedair you can PM me

Flyer14
1st Oct 2007, 21:19
Last I checked Fedair had 2 C152s, a C150, a C172RG and 2 C172 one of which also had a G1000 glass cockpit. Not a bad school if you asked me.

Irene
2nd Oct 2007, 15:23
My experience with Federal Air has been on both the training and charter aspects. They have some good instructors but the training programs have been setup very poorly and lack anything more than the absolute legal minimum. Not impressed with their flight school also because of the way in which they have treated some of the students in the past - very schoolboy like treatment, not client orientated.

VFS - Its a sausage factory but there are some good instructors there trying hard, but the system is structured for maximal daily sausage production.

NFA - Used to be very good, now with new owners, I don't know. Previous owner of NFA was a lost :mad: in a perfume factory.:ugh:

Pegasus - Taliban training school, need Bhurka to get in:} Used to be in big :{ with CAA, not sure about now. One of their instructors went a bit :8 at another time too.

My advice, look past the fancy broucheres and if you are not limited to training in DBN then look in PE/EL area as well as JHB. If you are wanting to train in DBN, then be prepared to deal with training schools run by pilots who haven't the first clue about customer service as their experience is mainly behind the control column of an aeroplane. As good as that experience might be.

night_rider
2nd Oct 2007, 18:23
Those comments above arnt to far off the mark....

But I must say, VFS has come a long way...... and I feel its the most professional setup on FAVG by some way... but then its not my money so choose wisely!

Contacttower
4th Oct 2007, 11:19
Thanks to all for your replies...like some suggest, I'll shop around. I'm also interested to know of any places where I could hour build on a taildragger.

night_rider
4th Oct 2007, 18:02
So many flying schools claim they teach on Taildraggers..... but then its worse than, "oh you didnt read the small print"

1. you need 150 hours total time
2. You need to be taught by the CFI
3. OUr CFI is on leave..
4. the Taildragger is in for Major..
5. You now need 180 hours total time...

Im just saying I have seen very few flight schools that teach it... so just becareful they dont sell you a , sure we can story, and then nothing comes of it...

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Oct 2007, 20:11
303 Squadron, Boksburg/Benoni. Use Cubbies which is an arse ugly J3 lookalike.