PDA

View Full Version : flight dispatch courses

scrummer
8th Oct 2000, 16:25
Anybody know of any colleges currently running despatch courses either CAA or FAA. If anybody could send me an E it would be most helpful

SCRUMMER

Lozza
21st Oct 2000, 23:40
looks like you and me have got a bit in common scrummer-trying to get on a dispatch course,looking to go to dubai etc.

with regards to the former,the only way to do FAA is abroad-believe me when i say i've researched my proverbial bollocks off on this subject!US seems to be the best place although it'll cost about £4,000 to do it all-in including 6 wk course/accomodation/spending money etc.if you can't afford that(which i certainly can't at the moment...but i'm working on it!),then the city and guilds seems the only other route-i'm sure you know all about this anyway!
if the FAA interests you there's some good sites out there to look out for dispatch schools in the US.try www.airlinedispather.com-this (http://www.airlinedispather.com-this) is the school i intend to go to once i've figured out how to rob my local Lloyds bank!

if you know of any other info not mentioned here,let me know...i'd be very interested to hear.

good luck mate....who knows,maybe we'll be dispatching together in dubai before long!!

FH Desp
1st Dec 2000, 20:34
Am I to assume you don't need a CAA licence to despatch in the UK? If that is the case who needs it?

Certainly in these parts of the tropics any old bod can - and does!!! ;)

Please don't shoot me down on this one. We get two weeks with an ex-supvr and a month of on-the-job.
To me FAA and CAA licences are a mystery.

FH D

2nd Dec 2000, 01:36
What is the City and Guilds course and where can I get the information for that.

And could someone please tell me how to get a dispatchers job? It seems like that old viscous circle, 'can't get the job without experience, can't get the experience without the job'.
Would I be employable after one of these courses?
Please help.
From another Dubai hopefull.

Blue Boy
2nd Dec 2000, 13:23
Guy's, I have my FAA Dispatch Licence from my time with CO. With regards to C&G, a good course but to my knowledge is not recognised in the UK.

To get a Dispatch job in DXB, where I am, you do not need it. Experience is all that counts, the usual Weight & Balance cr@p, a knowledge of weather, etc, will help, but as I say is not that important.

Good Luck on Monday, Scrummer

[This message has been edited by Blue Boy (edited 02 December 2000).]

Lozza
2nd Dec 2000, 15:16
Blueboy,what does your role actually include as a dispatcher in DXB?
I was thinking of applying myself but a colleague of mine who know's someone out there reckons that the "ramp rats" just spend all their time tear-assing between 3 or 4 a/c at a time and don't even do weight and balance.
Hence,his comments have put me off slightly.Any info you can provide to the contrary would be greatly appreciated.

Blue Boy
2nd Dec 2000, 16:23
Lozza. That's true, a disptacher does not do W&B (at the moment), but must have the knowledge. As for running between 3-4 flights, complete cr@p I'm afraid. There are slight differences in how the job is done over here, but not too many. Wouldn't swap it in a hurry to go back to the UK.

Whooaahh
5th Dec 2000, 15:07
Blue Boy,

Are your with DNATA/EK or next to the 30L threshhold?

Whooaahh!!!

Blue Boy
6th Dec 2000, 10:38
DNATA

Mad-Dog11
19th Dec 2000, 03:59
Hello guys,
I got my licence in Dallas at the AFDTC. The course itself costs just under 3000USD + 800USD for the housing. It is worth it though - if just for the 75cent pints of beer that they sell in the bar next door to the school! Overall you would need approx 5-6000USD for everything....and those Texan women!!!

But seriously it is worth it. You spend 6 weeks in a class with guys from all over the world who work for airlines or FBO's. Its amazing how many good contacts u can make in 6 weeks. Most of the job leads that i hear come from ex-classmates!

Go for it!

kink
19th Dec 2000, 14:58
Lozza - I did my course in New York last year. We've got a complete list of the schools in our office if you're interested. I've been helping a colleague try and sort out his course, finding the easiest way was giving them a call. Most reply to e-mail too.
Courses get snapped up fairly early.
Blueboy - DXB sounds interesting..could you let me know a little bit more?

Pete McGuirk
22nd Dec 2000, 18:51
I am enroilled at the AFDTC in February, can anyone who has done their course give me any pointeers on the format of the test and also the oral exam?? Also as a Brit does anyone know of the difficulties I may encounter trying to find a job over in the states?? Thanks for any help.

23rd Dec 2000, 03:00
Pete,

The only problem I can foresee is;

You NEED to have permanent residency in the US to be employed by anyone out there.
If when you get back you manage to find a job here, please let me know.
I work for American Airlines at LHR so I know a little about it. (AA only recruit FAA dispatchers at Systems Operation Control SOC in Dallas).
On a lighter note, I have just got back from the AA training centre and I passed the Dispacher centre where I assume you are doing your training. It is not actually Dallas, its on the outskirts but its a lovely part of town. You'll be blown away by the airport, 6 runways, most of them active, very interesting.
I believe on your course you will visit AA's SOC, you'll be quite impressed I think.
Good Luck, let me know how it works out for you.

Happy Holidays.

Pete McGuirk
23rd Dec 2000, 16:10

Cheers for your advice and help - that is basically what I thought, I shall just have to give it a go and see what happens!!

I shall certainly let you know how we get on.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to all!!

Blue Boy
26th Dec 2000, 05:59
Pete,
Check your e-mail.

Lozza
27th Dec 2000, 16:19
Blueboy,
Any chance you can e-mail me with the lowdown on DNATA?
What I'm interested in is salary/perks/promotion/job description....you know,the usual stuff.
Any help greatly appreciated!
Cheers mate,
Lozza