PDA

View Full Version : So what do we do now?

oriental flyer
28th Sep 2007, 10:25
Okay! I have a question, since we rejected the recent company's wonderful pay offer , what do we do now? .
There seems to be total apathy amongst the crew it isn't even talked about anymore . Do we simply continue as before without any pay rises ? " the company will love that status quo , it's a huge cost saving and bonus for them .
The only thing that I see moving management to any sort of agreement with the pilot body is market forces, and unfortunately people are just not leaving fast enough to really hurt them at this time.
So as I see it we are all in a bit of a dilemma. The AOA isn't doing much at this time and we have limited choices . So are there any bright ideas out there ?

The Management
28th Sep 2007, 13:28
The members don’t have the backbone or what it takes to get a pay rise. They can’t seem to maintain their contract. Most will get some unsuspecting soul to do their dirty work but never put their head above the parapet.

Yes you are in a dilemma. Don’t think you will get much here or from any CX pilot. The AOA and pilot group just gave away their contract and got absolutely nothing in return. Don’t you just love it?

Market forces are here but it’s not what you think. We have many applicants to join The Cathay Pacific Group. Our freighter problem has just been solved with the integration of the ASL pilots into the The Cathay Pacific Group and I hope they are greeted with open arms. Remember we still have an intimidation clause in Volume 1 and we expect all crew to adhere. Thank you to all the pilots who flown the freighter and helped us get through these difficult times. The pilots that did not are put on a very special list.

Later this year we will be introducing a new Approved Flight Time Limitations scheme. We will introduce the new ULH scheme, which will take the new duty to just over 20 hours with four crew. We will introduce the new 15-hour three pilot operations with in-flight napping. As I have said before many airlines are doing this with great success and it cuts down drastically the amount of crew our airline will need in this time of expansion.

We will be introducing more productivity gains in the future, so it is not over by any means of the imagination.

Within a year we expect KA to be fully integrated into The Cathay Pacific Group. I will leave the terms of the contract to your imagination.

The AOA will not be provoking with Management of The Cathay Pacific Group. The AOA does not have the backing of any pilot. Most hide behind the AOA.

No pilot will jeopardize his or her jobs. That is fact. How many 35-year-old Captains of a wide-bodied jet will put their head above the parapet? What 27-year-old J F/O will do the same? What will a 45-year-old Captain with children do? What will the pilots do that have many mortgages? The answer is nothing. We have you just where we want you, scared.

You have lost, it’s over and you will have to accept what we are willing to give you.

Retirement age will increase and we will have a merged DEFO salary. With this new on shoring, we will introduce new companies with new Conditions of Service. Expect this, there is nothing the pilots can do about it.

It was said, not many will leave The Cathay Pacific Group, it is the best employment contract in Asia.

We have done well on our currency trading and the Hong Kong based crews are among the cheapest pilots in the world barring expatriate benefits. We will be working on those benefits in the coming years as this is addressed in our 5-10 year plan. We hope to complete it sooner than 5 years but will have to wait until the expansion is over and we are up to speed.

Once again we like to thank our crew who help forge our new freighter agreement and who were instrumental in our new 15-hour 3 pilot crew. You were invaluable to say the least.

Here is to my year-end bonus. It’s getting closer.

The Management

Numero Crunchero
28th Sep 2007, 13:45
I would laugh except I think it is a little too close to the truth!

Sqwak7700
28th Sep 2007, 18:25
With this new on shoring, we will introduce new companies with new Conditions of Service
...I am expecting it. With a smile. ;)
I can read the headlines now... Cathay Pacific Airways, a company from Communist China, has asked the US government to step in and avert a strike from it's US Based pilots, which are members of the Teamsters Union.
...Good luck.
Goodbye fear and intimidation, hello Union productivity breaks and real Union job protection. :E:ok:

Mr. Bloggs
29th Sep 2007, 00:21
You can’t even get pilots to withdraw goodwill. That will put one’s head well above the table.:rolleyes:

Seems everyone is happy about their package, so please no complaining. All talk thingy.:suspect:

Good luck with it.:ok:

Call the KA pilots, they know how to do contract compliance. Oops I said it, I think cpdude just pee’d his pants.:E

Apple Tree Yard
30th Sep 2007, 01:58
How will we respond to unilateral changes to our contract? Comments?

ChairmanBoysClub
1st Oct 2007, 17:37
Im getting sick and tired of hearing you guys cryin' out sooo loud. Lets face the fact - the average CX pilot have got absolutly NO guts. As a matter of fact thats prob why you were employed by this outfit in the first place. Screaming out loud down at Stauntons or the B-scale bar in Hudson bay only confirms what I just said. In the end it makes no difference. The smart guys have already left or will leave - unf. not at the pace needed to make the great leaders of CX take action.

Keep on cryin'. :D

cpdude
1st Oct 2007, 20:13
No cryin...no complaining CBC. Why...because I'm an

"Army of One"!:}

I have my own war and take my own actions and answer only to myself. I am happy and professional at my job just not helpful. Whether it has any effect on the company is irrelevant but I suspect if enough of these armies emerged it most certainly would.:)

I do get a big kick out of these weaklings that hide at home afraid to answer the phone. JUST SAY NO!...CANNOT!:ugh:

missingblade
2nd Oct 2007, 05:41
Activism climbing at airline unions

Leaders pressured to take harder line

By Julie Johnsson |Tribune staff reporter September 16, 2007

http://m1.2mdn.net/viewad/817-grey.gif (http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v8/35df/0/0/%2a/z;44306;0-0;0;12925551;21-88/31;0/0/0;;%7Esscs=%3f) http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/trb.chicagotribune/biz;ptype=s;slug=chi-sun_laborsep16;rg=ur;ref=googlecom;pos=1;sz=88x31;tile=2;ord =42546739? (http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/trb.chicagotribune/biz;ptype=s;slug=chi-sun_laborsep16;rg=ur;ref=googlecom;pos=1;sz=88x31;tile=2;ord =42546739?)

United Airlines pilots have put a new face on labor unrest -- it's a giant inflatable rat holding bags of money, the pilots' latest universal description of upper management.

United's unionized pilots last month used the rodent to greet passengers at the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport as they were checking in, the latest in a series of stepped up public attacks on company management as union leaders face key elections Oct. 9.

After six years of relative calm, union activism is escalating across the airline industry. And it's not just management on the hot seat. Rank-and-file employees, seething over losing one-third or more of their pay and management's perceived greed, are striking back at the easiest targets too: the union leaders who agreed to those concessions. As emotions rise among workers, so does the pressure on union leaders to take a harder line with management, or be replaced by someone who will.

"If Attila the Hun were running he'd be elected," said Michael Boyd, president of the Boyd Group, an Evergreen, Colo.-based consulting firm.

It's a volatile situation that appears to be building into one of the labor paroxysms that seize major airlines each decade. The last spasm, in the late 1990s and 2000, resulted in rich contract concessions that helped speed some carriers, including United, into bankruptcy when the market for air travel collapsed following the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

Momentum swung labor's way, some experts say, when Northwest Airlines pilots last month won time-and-a-half overtime pay from a management team known for its unyielding stance on labor issues.

Pilot shortages had forced Northwest to cancel thousands of flights during June and July. Executives blamed the weather, air-system congestion and pilot absenteeism for the disruptions; pilots said inadequate staffing was at fault.

"Every five to seven years the baseball bat changes hands," said Kit Darby, an airline pilot who is president of Atlanta-based AIR Inc., a firm that specializes in pilot recruiting and job placement. "I think we have the official changing of the baseball bat."

Already pilot contract talks are under way at American, Continental and Southwest Airlines and are expected to set the tone for the rest of the industry through the end of the decade.

Negotiations at American, the world's largest carrier, are of particular interest to other airlines and unions because of the ill will that has crept into labor relations since unions voluntarily gave up pay in 2003 to keep the carrier out of bankruptcy.

American's pilots say they are in no mood to be conciliatory. They are angered by incentive plans that have granted rich payouts to senior executives but not to other employees.

In fact, talks ground to a halt this summer after pilots voted out union chief Ralph Hunter, who presided over the 2003 talks. Lloyd Hill, who replaced Hunter, has vowed to take a more aggressive stance. Negotiations are set to resume Oct. 2.

"Across the industry, pilots are done giving up [pay] and we're ready to recoup some of the losses," said David Aldrich, a Miami-based pilot for American and a spokesman for the Allied Pilots Association, the independent union representing the carrier's 8,325 pilots. "Management's had time to fix the store since 2001. It's time to stop giving away our services."

willnotcomply
3rd Oct 2007, 17:36
Any idea on resignation numbers of late? I know of two in recent times. I think its fair to say that the company are winning, AGAIN! Jetstar and VB are looking really attractive, purely from a currency perspective.