PDA

View Full Version : Manual or Computer Rostering - Which is it to be?

lalapanzi
4th Feb 2000, 01:25
I have been tasked with gathering information/advice on computer rostering.

Does this really work?
Is it more efficient than manual rostering?
What are the advantages, if any?
Is one system better or more user friendly than anothers?

Whose system would you recommend and why?

Sorry for all the questions, not sure where to start on this one. Seems like it could be a major information gathering task.

If prefered send details to my e-mail.
Thanks

JB007
4th Feb 2000, 02:51
L,

I've worked with AIMS for quite a few years now and from a Crew Control point of view it's probably the best of the best - but very expensive.
When it comes to rostering, well, this is where you need to work at it - depending on what your flying programme is ie Charter, Schedule, you need to "mess" with the setup a little to suit you..

AIMS also has an Operations add-on - in short, stick to manual boards !!!!

If you need AIMS e-mail / address / names in Athens drop me an e-mail.

Cheers

------------------
The World is not Enough

no sig
4th Feb 2000, 02:56
lalapanzi
All depends on what size of airline you are working with numbers of crew and aircraft. Computer systems offer lots of advantages over and above the rostering element,e.g day to day crew tracking, ops control, statistical analysis and FTL records and more. On the other hand if you have only a couple of aircraft and limited number of crews there is still a place for a good manual roster and crew tracking.

I am sure the professional crewing bods will respond with a more in depth comment. But for what it's worth, there are a number of reliable and proven systems on the market and I would recommned you shop around and ask other airlines of a comparable size what they are doing.

But I can tell you that computer systems are not perfect and usually still require the skills of a good rosterer to set them up and 'fine tune' the output. But on thw whole few airlines of any size these days would be without.

Off Blox
5th Feb 2000, 14:37
I agree with JB007 - AIMS is the best I've used despite early reservations about computer systems. From a day to day point of view its great. Rostering is different. You will probably have a head ache to start with but then I think u use it already don't u ?

lalapanzi
6th Feb 2000, 04:16
Sorry off-blox u obviously have me mistaken for some-one else.
Company I am at is rather small and is considering updating to a computer rostering system.
I have heard of Aims, but not seen any specs on it. Do you have anything could e-mail?

Dr. Floppy
9th Feb 2000, 18:25
lalapanzi,

We were informed the other day that TransAer have started up an AIMS User Group - a scaled down version of this.

I popped in, but there aren't many posts yet. Might be a good place to ask for info though.
http://www.transaer.com/ezboard if you're interested.

Off Blox
11th Feb 2000, 02:04
Lalapanzi - check yr e-mail laddy

AREA2K
11th Feb 2000, 08:03
we got RM ( THE RESOURCE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM)IN LAST YEAR. This thing is excellent. you will have your work cut out , That is for sure.They are based in Luton. Ring them for a demo - you wont be dissappointed.

lalapanzi
11th Feb 2000, 16:10
A2K thanks for that, unfortunately can't seem to locate a ctc nbr for RM in the Luton area. Any ideas?

Off-blox, checked my e-mail - still looking for whatever you have sent boyo.

Ganymede
11th Feb 2000, 23:52
Speaking as one of those sad people who designs crew and aircraft roster management systems for a living, it really does depend on the size of your operation.

I suggest that you look very carefully at WHAT you want a computer based system to do first, and THEN look at which one - there are SO MANY proprietary (is that spelt right?) systems out there - llok at AIMS and the offerings from Lufthansa Systems for example.

What I mean by 'What do I want it to do?' is -

Do I want it to do the leg work for me and leave me the fun stuff to work out myself?

Do I want it to do EVERYTHING for me, leavng me with no scope for creativity?

Do I want it simply to find AN answer - not necessarily the best - which = cheaper and faster but not as bright...

Do I want it to find an answer and then optimise that answer = expensive and potentially slow?

Do I want to fit it into an existing portfolio?

Have a think about these before you go looking seriously and you may have a better yardstick by which to measure your product.

Also, look at constraint logic engines like ILOG Solver if you are thinking of tackling building a small constraint logic allocator in house (yeah, I know, out of most smaller operators leagues, but what the hellll.... Live a little)

May the winds carry you home safe..

Off Blox
12th Feb 2000, 02:44
LALAPANZI - CHECK YR E-MAIL - HOPE IT WORKED