PDA

View Full Version : Yield management and Dixon's failing

QFinsider
27th Sep 2007, 18:03
Here we are, further evidence that sacrificing yield, transferring assets and following a blind Oldmeadow wank strategy will deliver nothing. Dixon believes crew costs must be reduced in order for business to survive. For this to occur at the unionised Qantas, his strategy is to send new aircraft and routes going to jetstar. Funnily enough it is the premium product that actually delivers for the shareholder he claims to represent...

THE AUSTRALIAN 27 SEPT
"BUSINESS and first-class airline traffic out of the Australasian region has grown sharply on many routes despite a continuing global trend of weak growth in premium cabins.
Figures released yesterday by the International Air Transport Association showed that with the exception of routes to Europe, where figures fell by more than 26 per cent, premium traffic from the southwest Pacific to most other regions was higher in July.

Traffic for the month was 28.8per cent higher on routes to Africa, 21.8 per cent up on routes within the region and 7.1 per cent greater on routes to the Middle East. It was also 13.1 per cent higher on routes to the Far East compared with the previous year.
Global growth for the month was 1 per cent, down from 1.9 per cent the previous month and significantly lower than a 4.6 per cent growth in economy traffic.

IATA said this continued a weak growth trend over the past four months and was due mainly to a sharp fall in premium traffic in Europe, which accounts for 28per cent of the world total.
Excluding the European routes, the global growth rate was 5.1 per cent.
There was also good news for airline profitability in that premium traffic revenues remained strong despite the low rate of overall traffic growth.
Premium traffic revenues grew an estimated 3.2 per cent in July, down from 5.4 per cent in June, but still ahead of the rate of volume growth.

"The global economic environment is still relatively positive for premium traffic demand, though it is subject to several risks," IATA said.
"The volatility in global stock markets in recent weeks has, so far, been confined to the financial sector but could affect growth in the wider economy -- and, therefore, premium demand -- if it leads to a fall in liquidity and higher cost of capital for firms.

"The current view is that borrowing difficulties could provide a brake upon growth, but will not end the expansion of the global economy and airline traffic seen in recent years," it said.
Macquarie Airports this week released figures showing traffic in August increased 8.2 per cent at Sydney Airport, and Qantas reported mainline domestic load factors for July of 85 per cent.
The group filled 83.8 per cent of its seats across all operations and saw yields rise almost 11 per cent for the month."

So here we are at mainline, with yield being the reason for the profit, not the volume. Yet our single track uneducated yobbo persists with a low yield model on the pretext that you can sell seats for anything you like, provided the business pays for little of its infastructure and allegedly lower crewing costs are achieved...
Wake up Geoff. and then bugger off

lowerlobe
27th Sep 2007, 20:53
Cabin Crew management had admitted for years that J/C in particular was the bread winner for the company.That is why they put so much money into the J/C product such as the J/C sleeper seats even to the extent that it competed with P/C.

Even the business element of Y/C has been recognised by BA and other airlines and that is why they have a premium Y/C.This means that although the number of cheaper seats in Y/C is being reduced it has increased yields.

Darth however,has been slow to understand or think of this probably because he was too interested in takeovers...:yuk:

Sunfish
27th Sep 2007, 20:56
Contribution margin is the key. I would expect that Jetstars contribution margin is negative or zero.

PAF will explain it to you......:}

Eastwest Loco
28th Sep 2007, 14:47
Well here is a strange and wonderfull field of discussion.

Yield management. My little Agency has moved to Qantas Platinum of late, and this gives us access to a wide range of enhanced services which is a very nice thing considering our high care corporate base.

The thing that amazes and perplexes me is the Pacific and Indian Ocean routes.

In numerous incidences recently we are unable to get D class on Global fares on LAX or SFO to SYD services on the QF side of the codeshare, but can get the D on the AA side of the codeshare an the same aeroplane - on Qantas metal. This makes no sense to me at all.

I do apologise for not explaining earlier, but D class is business class at a less than premium dollar value, hence lower yield.

Common sense decrees that American would be buying the seats at less than premium on their SPA negotiated rate wit QF so why does QF not offer seats at a similar rate?

I would like to support an Airline that supports us (in most ways) and keep my figures at a suitable level but this does make it hard. The punter comes first and if we have to do the AA thing we will.

The same situation exists on the JNB run ex SYD - sell the SAA seats on the bird far cheaper in all classes than QF in 90% of all cases.

Go figure!

Best all
EWL

lowerlobe
28th Sep 2007, 22:56
I sincerely hope that someone will raise this issue at the AGM as well as the expected questions about the takeover and performance of the board.

It's interesting that PAF has not been here to assist in his postion of careers advisor in business and economics faculties for our universities.

Managers Perspective is busy organising the agenda and catering for the next QF AGM and aircraft is busy studying for his HSC.....good luck to all of you:E

Enema Bandit's Dad
28th Sep 2007, 23:44
You're wrong lowerlobe. You're getting aircraft confused with his older brother!! :p