PDA

View Full Version : Algeria oil and Gas Flying

AC69
27th Sep 2007, 15:48
Hi would appreciate any info on Security and living conditions of expat pilots working in Algeria at present doing oil & gas survey flying.
Thanks

south coast
27th Sep 2007, 16:07
Hi there

It is very safe and great fun flying in Algeria.

The locals were wonderful people and you will make lots of good friends there.

The companies that operate there are very professional and they pay well too.

Go for it!

SAT_BOSS
27th Sep 2007, 16:48
Presume you are talking about Hassie. Its as SC says, great flying / people fairly good food, funtimes with (ROM) was it SC? and off course a shrugg and a laugh at Shakib

I suggest you contact a Swiss Company called Zemex, they are also flying there and very professional. NAC is now out of it and believe Solenta as them main players.

Enjoy ..... and re safety ... the oil boys are very well taken care of i used to go jogging around with no hassles

poorwanderingwun
27th Sep 2007, 20:29
always gives me the willies when people start asking about 'security' while wanting to tell their friends that the're 'bush flying' in some out of the way place... if it bothers you then don't bloody go there... whimps need not apply... go and fly scheduled in la la land.... and remember... you won't get out of this life alive...

rattex4U
27th Sep 2007, 20:46
South Coast- its always nice to hear from such positive pilots like you, i remember you had a blast of a time and made a lifetime of friends in Algeria whilst working under pleasant conditions for a super company :ok::ok::ok:

AC69
27th Sep 2007, 21:18
Thanks SAT BOSS

I have worked in East Africa for 8 years and that included South Sudan in the war years so no real surprises in store for me then.Cheers

AC69
27th Sep 2007, 21:20
Ooops, Thanks too, South Coast.

south coast
29th Sep 2007, 14:47
Hey Ratty

Yes, some may have thought I was being sarcastic, but, to be honest, I would not trade those days in for anything.

We had excellent fun, Radio Jah, beers in the BP bar, long nights of RISK.

Good times.

hoggsnortrupert
29th Sep 2007, 17:43
Thats ZI not ZE:

Not a patch on the company it was, and still paying same as it was in 2004, :(and you have to put up with "ADOLF". :E:E

H/Snort.

chuks
2nd Oct 2007, 10:15
I am working in the very sector you are asking about.

It seems fairly secure. Algiers has seen some bad attacks but out here in the desert it's pretty quiet. You have the usual considerations of letting people know where you are going and not to just wander off on your own but that's pretty much the Third World, isn't it?

Zimex (zimex.ch) is looking for people all the time for the Pilatus Porter, the DHC Twin Otter and the Beech 1900. If you can walk and chew gum and have a JAR licence then the world is your sandy, little oyster. (I used to get the pearls in Nigeria but there you did get shot at now and then.)

Then there is a South African operator, NAC I think, also working here at Hassi Messaoud with Beech 1900s and LET 410s. They pay even less than Zimex but I think you get free biltong or something. The deals are different, so that you need to make up your own mind.

The people are very much easier to work with than in West Africa. Burocracy here is like living under a big, wet blanket. Switch airplanes, expect to have to file a new flight plan with a minimum 30-minute delay before start-up, and that is just for VFR! If you like sitting in a hot Twotter (45° in the shade) waiting for your start-up clearance because there is "heavy traffic" (four aircraft) then this is one for you!

The food is good and when you get out to the desert there is a beautiful Arab girl behind every tree, just waiting to make love to you.

HavingSaidThat
2nd Oct 2007, 10:25
chucks,

like the part about the Arab girl behind every tree. Used to fly into Hassi years back. Remember landing with a load of oil workers from Europe in the afternoon of 9/11. Gave you an itchy feeling. Did not see many females hanging around that airport thou. But I guess they're all out in the sand taking care of you ;)

Never did Twin Otters and Beeches. Are you saying that Zimex.ch is giving you the type rating if you tell them you love to hang around in the sand getting tanned in 45Celsius+:cool:

What rotation pattern do you work?

international hog driver
2nd Oct 2007, 13:07
Chuks is on the money here.

First prerequisite is that you need a JAR licence.:ok:

Second is to be able to chew gum and walk at the same time.:E

Third is being able to deal with isolation…… if your on a camp base.:}

Rotation is 35 on 35 off, paid base pay year round, per diem when on duty (in country or training).
;)

chuks
3rd Oct 2007, 17:05
To get the job I think you need some suitable experience in at least the Pilatus Porter. In my case I had plenty of Twotter time but they still wanted to know if the sight of lots and lots of sand caused me to freak out. I already had a JAR licence and I got the type-rating with the company. That is not to say you can rock up and expect a job and a rating without time on type.

This is not the place for someone with no practical experience to learn on the job; the weather can be an absolute bitch. The wind starts blowing at 30 or 40 knots, the viz goes to zilch in blowing sand and then you had better have a Plan B ready. I thought I knew what flying in poor visibility was but I had no idea just how poor, how quickly. Nigerian Harmattan dust haze is much easier than this desert weather.

Add to that the stunning but dry heat, over 50° at times, the lack of girls and cold beer (no booze on the job for the most part), the boredom and isolation, especially if you do not speak Frog... it is no picnic. If big, hairy spiders are not your thing then you might want to give it a miss, plus you need to remember to shake out your shoes for scorpions in the morning.

Check out the address given and fill out an application to see how they respond. I know there are plenty of young, low-time guys finding work; it is a good job for someone just starting out. Good luck.

Alpha Bravo Bravo
3rd Oct 2007, 17:15
chuks
Way better than Nigeria....

Chuks, after you have finished eating all our pizza:hmm:

Papacharlysix
4th Oct 2007, 17:55
Being there for more than a year, I can only agree to all comments; great place, great people, interesting flying conditions, good working schedule and good company.

Go for it if you can !!!

AC69
9th Oct 2007, 16:52
Thanks Chuks

I will be in country this week. Not sure what place I'm going to be posted to.
Looking forward to something different.
My flying will be mostly at night so assume better temps and conditions.

Cheers all others for sharing the info. :ok:

Andre01
29th May 2010, 18:54
Sorry for re-booting this old thread but I have a specific question about Algeria aviation.

Recently we started building a Murphy Rebel kit and in search for a decent color and markings layout I stumbled over this magazine article.

eaa | 1995 | 1110 | Flight Archive (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1995/1995%20-%201110.html)

Accordingly to this article 16 kits were to be delivered to Algeria so I wonder if any of you ever encountered one of these planes. So far I couldn't find additional info or photos.

Regards,

André