PDA

View Full Version : SAA Retrenchments

Frogman1484
27th Sep 2007, 07:41
Heard form a friend of mine that his brother in law has just been retrenched from SAA after 17 years service. Obviously he was the only while face male to go from his department.

He did say that apparently some air crew also got a pink slip, can any one confirm. :{

fluffyfan
27th Sep 2007, 07:57
Frogman as far as I know no aircrew (cabin crew and flight) have been retrenched, the company has offered people Voluntary severence packages, which hundreds of cabin crew have jumped at due to the once off payment, in fact I remember the cabin crew saying more people have applied for the VSP than they require..........and its people of all colour.

As for management well lets just face facts SAA is top heavy and they need to get the numbers right............what did your mate do?

sbh684b
27th Sep 2007, 09:00
No one have been Retrenched yet from SAA.
As fluffyfan said, SAA offered Voluntary severence packages. If they dont get enough aplications they will have to retrench after that, but it looks like enough people will take the packages.

dikkes
27th Sep 2007, 11:08
VSP was oversubscribed, cabin crew notified yesterday as to who qualified or not.

Frogman1484
27th Sep 2007, 13:35
Well I can tell you one thing for free...He did not volunteer for a package. He go notified 2 days ago.

ZSSAK
27th Sep 2007, 16:23
Out of interest....
Those cabin crew that applied for the VSP were notified yesterday if they had got it or not, the majority of them will have the 30th September as their last working day,some have even done their last flight already,the rest will finish at the end of October.
As for the rest of the "junior" staff,they will surely get their VSP offerings in the weeks to come.....

Q4NVS
27th Sep 2007, 19:49
I sincerely hope that in the "True" Spirit of Restructuring, the one's that stay behind are those who are keen to work...

Now is the time to make each Passenger feel special and NOT to blame the crap service on Restructuring - I'm watching the "Sands of Time"

:zzz:

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Sep 2007, 20:22
Don't hold your breath.

Wouldn't be surprised if a bit of surreptitious social engineering is carried out at the same time....:rolleyes:

ERASER
28th Sep 2007, 07:21
Well, I wonder if the "Voluntary severence packages" (VSP) will be the same as the previous VSP's, "if you apply for the VSP you will get 2 or 3 weeks salary for every completed year service, but if we tell you to go 1 week p/c/y only".

Oh, yes, the SAA "robot" system of the restructuring. Green you are okay, yellow for vacant positios and red for affected staff. Seems that some of the pale 50 year old positions went from green to red over a weekend........and some of the not so pale positions went from red to green in the same weekend. :E

PS : Yes, the actual retrenchments started, they were "unsuccessful" in the job interviews...........for their own positions........:eek: The hunt for "new" talent has begun :}

E

Beta Light
28th Sep 2007, 11:43
ERASER
The restructuring was supposed to make S.A.A. lean and competitive. If what you say is true (easy to believe though) this will just dig the hole deeper.

dikkes
28th Sep 2007, 11:51
Speaking from the cabin crew side, the 2 weeks for every year of service applies to VSP as well as redundancy. The only diff is with the VSP you got a additional 6 week sweetner if you lesft befor end of SEP.
Interesting about the card system, I should start worrying as I'm over 50, pale, male and in charge (not a manager thoughhttp://www.pprune.org/forums/images/icons/winksbuddie.gif). Let's see what lies ahead.

MrBernoulli
29th Sep 2007, 23:34
If you're white your card is marked. Make way for the new SA! Which will continue down its already well-trodden path, eventually sliding into a cess-pit of its own making ....... while all the you-know-whos dash off into the sunset to their Swiss hotels, bought with tax-payers money.

Been there, done that, got the book, video and T-shirt in Zimbabwe.:uhoh: