PDA

View Full Version : How can I get into the industry?

jazzop
12th Sep 2000, 03:39
I was wondering if anybody had any advice on how I can get into the industry. I live in Australia and not near an international airport, so I guess I'm looking at Qantas, Ansett, Impulse and maybee VirginBlue. I eventually would like to get into ops or dispatch but am happy to start anywhere. I have heaps of experience with contracts, dealing with customers and managing a team of workers. I am also studying a Management and Law degree at uni. If I should hust send in my resume and hope for the best what should I put in it?
I'll appreciate any advise.
Thanks

fcit
13th Sep 2000, 05:28
jazzop,
don't just consider all the major one's. If you flip the yellow pages, you'll find a whole bunch of small business and ambulance operators. Turnover there is usually quite high (due to the fact that trained staff is moving on), but you might be able to secure a sound basis for your future endeavours at one of the majors.
Biz operators also offer the chance that you get the 'big picture' about the entire operation.
If I remember correctly I overlooked some job adds in the DownUnder Forum, so I'd suggest to start from there....

Cheers
fcit

Lozza
15th Sep 2000, 00:54
the problem in the UK seems to be getting the experience in the first place.most airlines at LHR operate a system of internal recruitment,meaning you have to spend a couple of years doing check-in before you can get into dispatch/ops.this is a problem i currnently find myself in-having got 3 yrs good experience at Air france,i recently moved to Virgin which,frankly,has been an unmitigated disaster!however i can get into BA or United for the above reasons.anyway,the system in Oz could be different so don't give up-it's the best job in the world.

Hypoxiated
15th Sep 2000, 04:17
National Jet in Adelaide are looking for 2 or 3 OPS Controllers to monitor their Qantas Airlink and Australian Air Express contracts.
People and conditions are quite good, even though the pay could be better.

E-mail me if you would like more info.

Cheers

Boxer
20th Sep 2000, 21:18
Could someone tell me where I could do a course on .... logistics/statistics relative to crewing... you know management stuff??
Cheers

JB007
20th Sep 2000, 21:26
I don't think there is such a course - experiance tends to count for everything, but keep your ear to the ground, a few ideas are been kicked about at the moment.

Cheers

------------------
Hear All...See All...Say Now't.

D in YVR
24th Sep 2000, 00:40
Thanks for raising this topic. I am a new viewer of these message boards.

Can somebody provide me with a typical description of an Ops position? If you know of a web page with this information, please provide the address.