PDA

View Full Version : 654 Squadron AAC

654historians
26th Sep 2007, 10:10
Good morning all,

I as the junior subbie in 654 Squadron have been tasked to update the History page on the AAC site.I was hoping to get any infromation relating to the history of the Squadron between 1997 and 2007. Information on Exercises, Operations and any other interesting facts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

654historians

diginagain
26th Sep 2007, 10:40
A little outside your timeframe I know, but during their stay in Detmold they were a bunch of chippy lightweights who were forever trying to nick our mascot.

:p

Machen Wir.

MReyn24050
26th Sep 2007, 17:34
As an ex-member of 654 Sqn LAD REME 1978 - 1980 I suggest you ask submit your question on the following website.
http://www.contact.armyaviation.co.uk
diginagain.
The trouble was from the other end of the hangar i.e. 659 and 669 Sqns AAC.
Mel

diginagain
27th Sep 2007, 03:44
Of course it was, Mel, of course it was..........

MReyn24050
27th Sep 2007, 10:11
I knew you would agree. As you know we shared almost everything.;)http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Aircraft/49Regtshareahanger1978.jpg

diginagain
27th Sep 2007, 13:53
Cheers for that, Mel.:ok: Had some fun and games with that lot. Who was it that decided that the first cab required each morning was at always at the back?

MReyn24050
27th Sep 2007, 15:16
Yes,those were the days I think it was known as "sod's law" or the ASM's revenge.
I recall an occasion in 1981 when I was with 71 Aircraft Workshops, next door to 4 & 9 Regiment's Hangar, when we had an Active Edge call out in the early hours of the morning. The Workshop's 2IC was one of the first to turn out, due to the fact he was a "liver in" in the Officer's Mess next door to the hangar. He was walking through the hangar when he was approached by a US Army Colonel who introduced himself, producing his Identity Card and stating that he was there to observe the Unit's reaction to the call out order. After about 30 minutes and watching the boys book in he asked the 2IC when the aircraft would be pushed out, to which our 2IC stated that none of them would be going out the hangar at this time as they were all in a state of rectification or maintenance. The Colonel replied in a rather surprise tone "Hell, Major! Are all your aircraft unairworthy?" to which our 2IC replied "Yes Sir, you could say that." The poor Colonel nearly went blue in the face and asked "Are you telling me Major that 4 Regt AAC are declaring an un-battleworthy situation?" to which our 2IC replied with a certain amount of relief "Sir, this is not 4 Regt AAC but 71 Aircraft Workshops REME". Exit one rather red faced US Army Colonel.