PDA

View Full Version : Any Expats working in SA?

Wildduke
26th Sep 2007, 05:41
I'm an Australian that would like to get a South African work permit. Does anyone know how I go about it?

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Sep 2007, 07:25
What's your level of experience?

planecrazi
26th Sep 2007, 07:50
How many points are you worth?:}

fluffyfan
26th Sep 2007, 08:50
Wildduke......to answer your question, yes there are expats working for South African companies, it might not be so easy getting a job flying in South Africa but there are a number of guys Aussies and kiwis working for contracting companies like Norse Air and numorous others, flying out of Afganistan and various african countries..........I dont know many people from these companies anymore but suggest you get your SA ATPL and then start looking.

Leftpedal
26th Sep 2007, 11:24
I managed it but it wasn't easy. You cannot work while waiting for your application to be processed which kills off most applicants. My application took 5 or 6 months and most employers will find a local in that time (I nearly starved to death). I'm told it is easier to apply from overseas via the SA embassy. You will need to provide your birth certificate, police clearance letter, written offer of employment, job description and contract of employment and details of your highest educational qualification - pilots licence does not count. The system has recently been changed to a quota system whereby a fixed number of permits are allowed for each profession each year, but you may still need another letter from your prospective employer, confirming that no South African is available to take the job. Oh and the permit is only valid for a maximum of 3 years after which you will have to re apply, AND you may not change employer or job description unless you re-apply. Which will take about another 6 months. Did I mention the fee is about R7000? (about $1000 US) or it was when I got mine.

Having said all that, once you have a work permit the application for permanent residence is quite staightforward and with that you can apply for any job. Bear in mind that there are unemployed pilots in South Africa and an Affirmative Action programme which means foreign white males will be at the back of the queue. Still, I made it (helicopter pilot) so it can be done.

Suitcaseman - I know one guy who has just been deported despite being married to a local. He had a marriage certificate but never applied for a visa. I'm told that the procedure for a work permit, even with a marriage certificate, is still the same.

Beeech19
27th Sep 2007, 06:58
Just fly to Harare and take the bus to Jhb, no visa required...:ugh:

Vref +10
30th Sep 2007, 20:49
So True just go through beitbrug...

Am a South african, I Would like a work permit in Aus.
The crime Just to much.. Can't do anything at night..
get robbed flying your model airplane in open field.. in daytime:yuk: