PDA

View Full Version : Tanzania

fling-wing_1
26th Sep 2007, 03:35
Hi all,

I've an opportunity to possibly do some flying next year in Tanzania. Specifically along Lake Tanganyika inland to Dodama. Curious if anyone flying in country right now could give some insights into flying and working in country.

Posted this over on Rotorheads and searched the archives but the pickings were pretty slim... :(

Soap Box Cowboy
27th Sep 2007, 13:49
What information would you like to know?

Yakka
28th Sep 2007, 09:48
Hi,
I flew in Tanzania for about 2 years up until about February this year. It is totally enjoyable and challenging. Lake Tananika and Dodoma areas are fairly scenic however they do offer some tricky weather situations. There are 2 wet seasons every year, a long and a short. The times for these seemed to change by who you talked to over there but basically it will be wet at Christmas and dry in May, June, July. I suggest buying your own GPS to carry at all times. Converting your licence is easy enough from any other licence however it does take time and patience. If you can get any info about the conversion exam from the company you are working for. Good luck and i hope this helps. One last tip is to always check your fuel throughly.

Gooneybird
29th Sep 2007, 07:16
Lake Tanganyika is one of the worlds most beautiful places and really quite unique.

Check what vaccinations you need, I seem to remember you need yellow fever. A lot of countries insist on seeing your yellow fever vaccination card before letting you in to their country.