PDA

View Full Version : Considering Ops

jet jones
4th Jan 2000, 13:34
Good Morning folks. Are there any ex forces people out there? How does one get started in flight operations ? What are the hours like and how much on average does a newbie earn after a year. Are there any exams to be taken? I am in the process of going into the Airforce as a flight Ops officer(to old to fly at 24) Is it difficult to convert to Civil aviation after one leaves the forces? Is there anyone who has transfered from Flight Ops to actually flying? How gruelling was the transfer?

------------------
live to fly

JB007
4th Jan 2000, 20:48
Hi JJ,

I work in Crewing / Ops at STN. Been at it 10 bloody years now....

I'm sure with Forces flight Ops experiance under your belt you would walk into a civil airline with ease. Good crewing/ops staff are not easy to find these days.

Pay will depend on who and where you work, but as a ballpark expect about £15000 if you've got some experiance.

No exams - all based on experiance and knowledge.

But if you want to fly shouldn't you consider a civil job if your too old for the RAF ?
I'm studying ATPL's at the moment and hope to fly for my present airline - an ops.assist with us starts his B737 course in March.

Hope this helps - e-mail me if you want more info.

Cheers

------------------
The World is not Enough

Daifly
4th Jan 2000, 23:31
The forces are definately one way in - depending on wot area you want to get into.

In Bizjets (like wot I have got...) then there's a lot of ex-RAF (Royal Squadron and Northolt) people around - most earning a good amount of money in Ops Mgt.

There's more money (I think I'm right in saying) in Corporate Ops rather than Airlines - though I'm not sure which is harder to get into, as I've only done this side.

Hope that helps - enjoy working for Her Maj.

Anjinsan
4th Jan 2000, 23:55
The only problem is that if you come from the forces to an airline you have to start as an assistant and the money might not what
you expect as 007 says. The younger you come the better as your expectations may not be so high.
007 when you become Nigel 007 make sure you
put out a message so I can take the train

Anjin

-------------------------------------------

I will do as Commercial tell me

jet jones
5th Jan 2000, 14:39
Thanks guys for the replies.

How does one get started in Ops then.
I have been out of university a year and I have had some marketing experiece. Any chance?

------------------
live to fly

Daifly
5th Jan 2000, 23:26
I went straight from Uni to a handling agent - starting as a controller. From there, promotion - bit of company switching, before getting my job now as a Senior Ops Controller.

An interest in aviation, good memory, like working horrid hours, contientious, switched on cookie, you know that sort of thing! Bear in mind at the end of the day although it is slightly different it is still a desk job. If flying's what you really, really want to do, pull out all the stops and go for it.
Ops in an airline probably isn't the place to get hours in, a flying school is.

Good luck.

Christopher Smith
6th Jan 2000, 02:41
I will be leaving school in June with a PPL and I intend starting my commercial training in the not too distant future. However I will probably have a gap in between leaving school and starting training and was considering working on the ground with one of the agents or airlines up here in Aberdeen. I was wondering if I should think about applying to be a Dispatcher (ideally with BA or Servisair).

How long does the training last and is there any age requirements etc etc... I thought that it would look quite good on the old CV.

I know a fair bit about weight & balance loadsheets that are used for the airlines and since I have done work experience with BA, 6 months ago it has encouraged me to seriously think about it!!

Any Ideas?

Regards & All the best!

------------------
Man Land Visual....

Daifly
6th Jan 2000, 17:15
Despatching is more of a long term career than simply giving it a year - you won't find an employer who will let you become a full despatcher within 12 months.

If you want to fly, I'd go and do that if you can afford it or try and find work in Ops at a commercial school where you can get reduced rates.

As for your CV, when you're applying for a flying job it's just that, the flying, that counts - honestly not the background "padding".

You might be able to, if you've got the contacts from your work ex, get an assistant job with BA at ABZ.

I might know of a vacancy up there in pax handling shortly if you're interested.

Christopher Smith
6th Jan 2000, 20:49
Daifly, thanks for your info. I thought that I was setting my heights a bit high!!!! Nothing wrong with aiming high, is there?

Since I only think that I would be working for a year (or maybe a little bit more at most) the Pax Handling job seems to be the better option, before I start my commercial training. I had great fun in the Pax Handling area with BA. I would love to spend some time in that field of work again. I finish school in June so I would probably be ready to start during late August. I am interested to find out more about the possible vacancy you mentioned. Can I ask what company it is with????

Kind Regards!!!!!

------------------
Man Land Visual....

opschap
8th Jan 2000, 19:46
Warning to all potential OPS STAFF!!

1.Be prepared to work long unsociable hours
2.get hassle all day long
3.develop a drinking habit
4.develop ulcers
5.get paid ..not a lot
6.receive no thanks from management

but having said that it still gives you a buzz after years of enduring hassle..grief and robbing the kids moneybank to pay the motgage!!!