PDA

View Full Version : PPL waiver for ATPL studies

Trolle
25th Sep 2007, 22:41
Can I get a waiver for the PPL requirement for beginning ATPL studies?

I have FAA CPL, CFI, MEI and am getting different answers. Getting quoted near 7000 to take a PPL course...they must be joking. While others say I can get a waiver because I have a CPL.

Anyone able to quote me a reg?

PAPI-74
25th Sep 2007, 22:52
Best to ring the CAA.
If is a case of converting your CPL FAA to a JAA UK Frozen ATPL, you will need to do all of the ground school then do a 15hr Conversion course (check, it may be less). The IR is a different matter and will need at least 15 more like 30hrs to convert (if you have an FAA IR).
If it is a PPL you want, it is just .....I think, Air Law and RT then enough training to satisfy the Instructor that you know the airspace and airport procedures.

IRISHPILOT
25th Sep 2007, 22:57
That really depends on under which regs you want to do it. - I assume it's not FARs, under JAR's you need an ICAO PPL, so you probably did an
FAA ICAO PPL before the CPL, however, a CPL is higher, so that's fine. The FI ratings do not help.

Any training provider of ATPLs should be able to quote the relevant regs for you.

regards, IP

IRISHPILOT
25th Sep 2007, 23:04
Oh, and when the time comes for the IR, this, as a rating, not a license, can be done under any JAA member state and be added to any JAA license. So an Irish rating with a UK CAA authorized examiner (the IAA had authorized some UK examiners a while back when I was there - not sure if still possible) in Florida can be added to a UK CAA license, whereas the same examiner cannot do the same check for the UK CAA.
Or do it in Spain or Slovenia. All goes straight on the same license. Also possible in Thailand, not sure where else outside Europe...

good luck! IP

Hour Builder
26th Sep 2007, 20:01
Come on people dont any of you know air law?

Requirement to start JAR ATPL theory course for modular pilots is to hold at least and ICAO PPL. Obviously an ICAO CPL supersedes that.....therefore no need to go do a UK JAR PPL (A) :ugh:

go to www.srg.caa.co.uk and downloand LASORS 2007, read section D1.

The conversion requirements are all 14 ATPL theory exams, discretional CPL training (not 15 hours as mentioned above) and pass the CPL skill test. The IR conversion is a bit more complex, and you can read is for yourself in section E1 for ICAO IR conversion requirements.

HB