PDA

View Full Version : What to do, Where to go ?

Jet A1
27th Dec 1999, 19:51
I have recently finished a CAP509 course and since the job market has gone a little backwards since DEB and AB demise I cannot see a firm job on the horizion just yet......In the meantime I am looking to get as much scope into the whole operation of an airline and especially the Ops and despatching side............Call it work experience or voluntary work or whatever........Who is based in LPL or MAN or LBA who can let me come in and see the other side of the airline ! Any advice ?

Daifly
29th Dec 1999, 02:22
Sorry to put a damper on you idea.

We never touch pilots for work - we need people who will stay around for a while, and we all know you'd bugger off to fly despite what you might say! (God, who wouldn't!!)

As for work ex - it's too busy in the department to give you any "quality time" and you'd leave not knowing a great deal more than you started with.

Concentrate on the flying! Good luck.

thuthegate
3rd Jan 2000, 02:39
test

------------------
only open debate......

thuthegate
3rd Jan 2000, 02:48
genuine answer
JETA1...Try this one if it ain't below ya
Spend six days a week lolading a/c by hand.
Lug 15-20 tons of N/papers off the wagon into the a/c on a 12 hour night.Go back into the office and help out.That is how I started,it did me no harm.You build respect and knowledge on the ground....
We will help those who help themselves....
PS jet....Remember National........Don't make smart comments, you dont know SQUAT

Whooaahh
3rd Jan 2000, 16:04
I have to agree with "thuthegate".

I started emptying toilets, cabin cleaning and loading night-mail freighters. Bloody hard work, but an excellent grounding. Moved after a year into Crewing, and it was another year before I got a look at Ops.

No-one in their right mind would let someone into the "nerve-centre" with zero experience, paper certificates or not.

Risky.Flyer
3rd Jan 2000, 21:16
Jet A1,
Go for it!
If you can gain any kind of operational experience before getting a flying job, you will benefit from it. As mentioned earlier in the thread you will find it difficult to persuade an Ops manager to take on someone who could be gone tomorrow. 10 years ago someone took a risk on me, and it was the best move I ever made. I can only suggest that you write to every chief pilot, explain your position, and ask if you could spend a week as "work experience". Certainly most chief pilots would be impressed with your attitude.

ALTSELGREEN
5th Jan 2000, 21:22
Been a crewing assistant, crewing officer, rostering officer, baggage loader, ops assistant, despatcher and jetty driver....
now a wide body co -pilot...Did me a lot of good. You certainly can appreciate things from all angles...

Daifly
5th Jan 2000, 23:18
Sorry, didn't want to sound like an ar*e back there, but was only trying to tell the truth - there's no point in letting you dream that you'll get a job in Ops, just cos you've got a ticket. Myself? Handling - Senior - Operations - Senior. Never emptied a toilet thankfully, but done everything else.

Jet A1
6th Jan 2000, 23:06
Cheers for all your replies.........I have just finished writing to most UK airlines to get some famil flights under my belt but I will certainly approach them with regards to joining them for 'Work Experiecnce' and take it from there !