PDA

View Full Version : Why do the job?

CREWSLAPPER
20th Dec 1999, 23:58
Having seen and read all the griping on the crew commitee thread...its begs a question....If we dont like the job then shouldn't we pack it in?! If we can't handle the heat then get out of the kitchen.....Im inclined to agree with the pilots...and Ive done crewing,rostering and establishment planning for 20 years.....

JB007
21st Dec 1999, 11:41
I don't recall anyone posting they don't like their job or not been able to handle it.

The original posting was suggestions to try and make a difficult situation, for both parties concerned, work.

It short - keep lurking and wind your neck in !!!!!

------------------
The World is not Enough

Wind Swept
21st Dec 1999, 12:26
I agree with JB, we do a difficult job at the best of times, and do it very well. Why make things more difficult for us by having commitees turning round after the rosters have been published, and saying 'I don't want to do this, take them of that, etc.' I have been in the industry for 15 years, been with this airline for a while, and have never known so much tosh to come out of one company before. As for you, having done crewing, rostering etc for 20 years, b*******ks to promotion, why did you leave crewing? Obviously you couldn't handle the job.....
Why wasn't this posted on the original posting. Frightened you might disappear back into the dark smelly stuff you crawled from.
Lurk in peace in the season of good will. Bah Humbug.............

cj
21st Dec 1999, 14:45
So who rattled your cage. Are you on commission from the pilots for supporting them?
They are more than capable of looking after themselves :)

If you bothered to actually read the posts, and you will clearly see who do all the 'belly aching'. Those that took great exception to my points of view, didn't offer much alternative suggestions for making committees work.

------------------
know the truth, speak the truth, but above all live the truth.

[This message has been edited by cj (edited 21 December 1999).]

Anjinsan
22nd Dec 1999, 01:13
Crewslapper

There's a chance you might not be living in the real world, if your into establishment planning then your a big boy, the rest of us do it off the back of a fag packet..!
JB's right in saying that its just all grief these days - thats because the Pilots are in a strong poistion and socially things have changed quiet a lot.

JB is that the Giggler?

Rgds Anjinsan

JB007
22nd Dec 1999, 03:56
Hey Anjin....

How's it goin ?!!!!
All the best to the gang at home for Christmas.

See you soon.
007/Gigg.

------------------
The World is not Enough

Merlin_The_Magician
24th Dec 1999, 03:42
Having just joined the fray I thought I'd offer my two-penny-worth...Having worked in Crewing and Rostering for a number of Airlines I have run across 'Aircrew Rostering Commitee's' in various guises. They do come up with some good suggestions as individuals but as soon as they get together ther cant seem to agree, because they are individuals with differing needs. When one Crew member wants patterns with loads of night stops another will chirp up that they want to be home all the time etc. Thre only answer is to set a middle road and try and please as many as much of the time as you can. We do know that aircrew are human but so are we.

boredcounter
24th Dec 1999, 05:54
Cut the S##t
We all do the job coz we love it!!!!!
Rostering,Crew Control,Ops, its all the same.
WE GET A BUZZ outa doing an underated,underpayed job..................
Me,I do ops.I got great ideas to change the world........But employers do not run in fear of upsetting me,Ive rostered,crew controlled, and been made redundant,and I'm still here.
Itsa buzz.nothing more nothing less.
Whatever, GOOD LUCK,GOD SPEED AND A APPY XMAS
WITH YA ALL DEEP DOWN
BORED

------------------
Speak the truth,accept the truth.....and only use one handle

Al Timeter
24th Dec 1999, 23:12
JB, Anjinsan think I know who you are but
drop me an email to confirm, would be nice to compare notes

Sorry to have used this thread for this purpose but you scallywags dont give any email address.

[This message has been edited by Al Timeter (edited 09 January 2000).]

CREWSLAPPER
27th Dec 1999, 17:31
Well boredcounter, some love it more than others by the sound of it. I actually think some of these other guys would rather not do this job at all. To them its pure hassle...nothing else. I had a crewing manager say to me once Quote : 'Well who the hell wants to work in crewing anyway?' Suppose he had a point really.
We will never equate to other positions in this industry. Our worth is purely indicated by the poor salaries paid.

hopefull
6th Jan 2000, 06:49
Lets face it, crewing is one of the most demanding jobs around. I work in Ops and I wouldn't touch crewing with a barge pole. They hear every excuse in the book, get sworn at, lied to, spoken to in false voices and still get complaints from management as to why they couldn't crew a flt. Lets face it, there are never enough crew (even when they are rostered efficiently) and supporting an operation when it is suffering from tec/wx delays is almost impossible, especially when we ops boys keep asking the impossible. Yet somehow they manage to conjour up crews out of thin air! I take my hat off to the crewing department, they work with impossible resources yet still manage to keep them coming. The majority of crewing staff are excellent and have been in the job for years. How they manage to sort out crewing problems I'll never know. Yet some come and go on a regular basis because it is a stressful job, something which isn't always made clear when they apply. Then there is the financial rewards, or lack of them. Why put up with a poor wage when you could have an easier life earning the same wage, if not more? The answer, because we enjoy the challenges and variety that the job provides. How many other people can say that they made sure that several thousand people made it to the destination?

hopefull
6th Jan 2000, 07:18
Oh, and another thing....harping back to that other thread that turned into one almighty slagging-off session....when pilots join an airline do they not realise that their roster is subject to disruption? Every airline faces problems during the day and therefore plans have to change, and consequently so do the crew's roster. Its a fact of life. I do appreciate that its not much fun having your life run by rostering and crewing, but they choose to do the job. Are they told about the life of a crew member before they sign on the dotted line? Or are they just sold on the life of glamour?

ALTSELGREEN
7th Jan 2000, 14:03
Glamour? What Glamour??????

Off Blox
9th Jan 2000, 17:14
Crewing is like painting the Forth Bridge. A never ending struggle and always normally during bad weather does it get worse. Added to that the fact that the bean-counters of upstairs never give us 5 crews per a/c and nver enough girlies down the back we will all probably retire at the age of 40, grey haired with an endless abacus thrown into our coffins. Apart from that, Crewing is a delight !!