PDA

View Full Version : Lost baggage

DONTTELLTHEPAX
25th Sep 2007, 12:14
How many on here have had there baggage lost ?
Was it ever found ?
how long do they look for the bag ?

I have just got back from Toronto into Gatwick
with My Travel Airways / Canadian Affairs, one of my bags did not arrive on the belt, I went to the baggage desk and made a report,
I am so worried, it is full of gifts, my camcorder and camera, mobile phone, ipod and lots lots more.

Is there anything I can do to help the airline find my bag ???

PAXboy
25th Sep 2007, 12:47
At this stage, probably not. If the bag had good labels and an INTERNAL label, then that is all that can be done in advance. The internal label should be near the latch and have just your name and a phone number in international format (eg + 44 20 7nn nnnn for London).

Did you ensure that all previous routing labels were removed from the bag?
Was it securely fastened? Bags that are bursting open are invitations.

That said, most bags do turn up and it can take a couple of weeks. The statistics are numerous and no one really knows the whole picture as to how many bags go missing and what the cause is. Whilst you wait, check your insurance policy. :ouch:

groundhand
25th Sep 2007, 14:44
The number of bags that are acutally 'lost' as opposed to those that have either 'missed their connection' or been 'mis-loaded' is very, very low.

The vast majority make the 'next available flight' and are then distributed from the receiving airport; this can take anything from a couple of hours up to several days depending on the workload of the department at the time and whether or not the delivery is local or requires a further flight.

The advice of checking you insurance, keeping in touch with the airline or their handling agent (many now have on-line tracking systems) and try to be polite and courteous to the staff you talk to - they were not responsible for your bag not being there and will be much happier to re-unite you with it than for you to lose it completely. Notify your insurers if you have not had confirmation of where your bag is and that is it is enroute to you after 72 hours.

Hope you see it and all it's contents soon,
GH

DONTTELLTHEPAX
25th Sep 2007, 14:48
I dont know if the bag was labled but I think not as it was to be
hand baggage but got refused by security and I was sent back to
check-in, when I got to Gatwick the bag did not arrive and the tags that
I had matched the bags I got off the belt so I think it was not tagged by the checkin girl.
There was no name lable inside or outside the bag as it was intended
to go with me in the aircraft.

groundhand
25th Sep 2007, 14:58
When you took the bag back to the check-in did you get a baggage receipt?
A small sticky with a string of numbers? Sometimes stuck on your ticket wallet/back of passport.

If not, you will have problems should you need to claim on your insurance.

DONTTELLTHEPAX
25th Sep 2007, 15:22
Yes I think so would it be something like 2k626558 if so I cant see
the last number its might be an 8,9 or 0 its abit chewed up down
one side but this number is not on my receipt for the missing bag
called property irregularity report its just blank where it say tag number

All Ahead Full
26th Sep 2007, 10:58
My bags were lost last week, on a trip from oslo to Copenhagen, I got on a flight standby, but I had a confirmed seat on the last flight out, got to Copenhagen, no bags to be seen, so checked the other belts, with no joy. ANyway, reported bag as lost, and as I was staying at a Hotel at the airport, I cleared off to have a beer, after speaking to the bagage staff, would mentioned that it would probabaly be on the next flight.

So armed with my lost ticket receipt, returned to the airport, and the information desk will let you back through to baggage claim, (didn't know this bit) - and sure enought there was my bag.

Worthly of note, was that if I hadn't returned, my bag would not have been delivered until the following day.....

DONTTELLTHEPAX
29th Sep 2007, 12:07
Still no bag !
They have just taken a list of thing that are inside the bag
so maybe this will help. :(