PDA

View Full Version : "Please remain seated for landing"

mickjoebill
25th Sep 2007, 08:54
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/09/22/1189881835046.html
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-flbplane0922nbsep22,0,616530.story

A remarkable picture of a crash....

Mickjoebill

aces low
25th Sep 2007, 09:00
Not surprised he crashed if he ran out of steam. Maybe he neglected to check both bunkers were brimming before flight or that the poker and shovel were correctly stowed. As the railways discovered in the C19th, you need multi crew when stoking a complex piece of machinery like an aeroplane.

Oh when will we ever learn!

Jhieminga
25th Sep 2007, 10:55
Remarkable indeed!

As for the sensationalistic (is that a word?) write-up in the press, it never ceases to amaze me how far things can be blown up out of proportion. Personally I would have added some bits about how difficult it is to handle an emergency just after take-off, how he managed to find some open area to put the plane in and how he was sensible enough to stay in his seat until medical assistance was available.

Good job sir! :ok:

ajamieson
25th Sep 2007, 11:27
As for the sensationalistic (is that a word?) write-up in the press, it never ceases to amaze me how far things can be blown up out of proportion. Personally I would have added some bits about how difficult it is to handle an emergency just after take-off, how he managed to find some open area to put the plane in and how he was sensible enough to stay in his seat until medical assistance was available.
:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

No, it's not a word. And did you actually bother to read the articles?
Paul Slavin, president of Monarch Air Group, the charter firm that operated the plane, credited Robertson with averting disaster.
"He's extremely experienced," Slavin said of Robertson. "He saved a lot of lives with what he did."
His assistant, Jonathan Hart, agreed.
"Knowing Bob personally, I'm sure he was looking at his options and didn't want to injure anyone driving in a car," Hart said.
It also says passers-by were unable to extricate the pilot from his seat until emergency services arrived. Nothing to do with being sensible.

realistic
25th Sep 2007, 11:48
that guy should buy a lottery ticket~!

Jhieminga
25th Sep 2007, 12:29
Indeed I didn't read both of them, only the first one as my browser only showed the video part of the second article for some obscure reason. Without the text of the article in the Sun Sentinel the coverage appears overly sensational. Reading through the Sun article my comments are indeed not warranted, my apologies for that.

It is still a remarkable accident.

(English isn't my first language which explains the use of a, on reflection, non-English word :rolleyes: )

chop4485
25th Sep 2007, 12:35
absolutely crazy

StainesFS
25th Sep 2007, 13:44
Jhieminga: your English is excellent. ajamieson - the word is long-established, particularly in connection with some of the journalistic excesses so often criticised in Pprune. It's in my dictionary.

On the main point of the thread - excellent picture and happiness for the survival of the pilot.