PDA

View Full Version : Air Experience Trips....

75Jock
12th Aug 2000, 02:45
Just wondered if any of your companies do trips for Ops,crewing or Flight Planning employees so they can see what goes on?? Our company gives us a tour of these departments before we get to fly for them so I wondered if the "Favour"!!ever gets returned....It would be good- so you can share the frustration being down route waiting for new slots or re-routes!!

BONDMAN
12th Aug 2000, 04:25
Our company gives quite a comprehensive induction to all aspects of the airline.So far I have found myself on jumpseat trips / observing handling agents / telesales / courses at CFMU/EPIC/LATCC etc... took me about 3 weeks before I finally got into the Ops room for the first time.

JBravo
12th Aug 2000, 04:47
Unfortunatly at my company it isn't done anymore. They used to do it, but for some mysterious reason, they decided it cost to much money. Oh well, now I'll just have to wait untill they hire me as a pilot, someday..

------------------
Fokker ruled

OCC
13th Aug 2000, 05:22
It is part of the training requirements of our Ops Manual that all Ops staff go on a jumpseat at least once per year.

OCC

fcit
13th Aug 2000, 06:41
Part of my previous job was the odd jumseat ride to our headquarters. Since this went Trans-Atlantic it was always very interesting.
Also had the chance to fly cockpit on a Trans-Pacific and -Siberian flight (one in a B772).
Also, we ran through a yearly re-qualification, which compromised weather, systems and OPSPECS. I certainly do agree that this is a vital part of anybody doing OPS (but get this across to the beancounters http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif ).
Under FARs these are somewhat mandatory re-training requirements, if you have a license. With JAR's I suppose they just wait for the first couple of incidents/accidents, before they decide to part from the philosophy to just demand 'adequate training' by the company (i.e. go and watch, what the other fellows do).
Personally, I find the JARs very disappointing in respect of Flight OPS Officer qualifications and hope that they revert to mandatory licensing at some stage.

Cheers
fcit