PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions

bryris
24th Sep 2007, 00:13
I have been having an awfully tough time trying to decide what I want to do when I grow up. I have a degree in accounting and 2 years of experience under my belt. At the turn of 2007, I decided I wanted to fly professionally, so I got a job at a flight school and built some hours then got hired by a regional airline flying the ERJ-145 and just got off IOE a few days ago. The problem is that it isn't as satifying as I thought it would be. I am so used to going up in an airplane and just enjoying aviation, some steeps turns, some practice approaches, etc. Flying the jet doesn't even seem like flying to me really - sort of a compromise between a desk job and flying. And after the takeoff, all we really do is program the flight director/ autopilot until about 1000 feet above TDZE, then land. That really isn't piloting to me. I'd rather have a stick in my hand and actually FLY the airplane.

Couple that with the prospect of being away from my wife and home so often and living out of a crash pad, and dealing with reserve and nasty schedules and working every weekend when my wife is off and it just doesn't seem like something I want to do anymore.

I've been thinking of going back to school to get my CPA (an accounting credential) and working hard on running my own business. In 5-8 years I can create my own schedule, more or less work from home, be my own boss, etc and not have to deal with being a pawn on the airline's chess board.

I would flight instruct on the side just to keep the urge to fly satisfied because I thoroughly enjoy flight instructing and at the earilest time I could afford it would buy my own airplane to work on and enjoy without the demands of the airline world and schedules weighing down on me.

I think about when I have kids how tough it is going to be to disappear on a trip for 4 or 5 days and miss all the little league games and stuff.

Flying the jet is pretty cool, but I feel like I am trading my life in return and depriving my wife of her husband and ultimately my kids of their dad.

Owning my own business in 5 or so years and controlling my own destiny starts to sound pretty damn good.....

Thoughts?

realistic
24th Sep 2007, 05:50
Follow through with your accounting. :ok:

R T Jones
24th Sep 2007, 10:45
From reading your post it seems like you have already made your mind up! The prospect of making your own schedule and being your boss sure does sound appealing. What I am starting to accept that as a pilot you are always going to be the pawn, all you are to the airline is an expense! Of course not every management team will believe that but I'd take a guess a fair few do! I've yet to start my training, (CP55 in Nov). I know it’s not going to be an easy and glamorous life but I'm going into it knowing that. You don’t need to justify your decision to anyone on here, make it and be confident that is the one you wanted.

redsnail
24th Sep 2007, 11:25
bryris,
It's all about perspective. You'll have the best of both worlds. The efforts you put in will have a direct benefit to yourself and your family. Also, you'll be able to chose when you fly and in what weather. You'll also be there for your family which will give you the greatest enjoyment and fulfilment.

There's nothing stopping you from combining your accountancy talents with aviation. Plenty of pilots need good financial advice and you'll know first hand exactly what they need.

Good onya. :ok: