PDA

View Full Version : Biggles, you’re a crashing bore.........

BRL
23rd Sep 2007, 20:44
Jeremy Clarkson at it again!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/jeremy_clarkson/article2510713.ece

Last weekend, a friend of mine was killed when his helicopter crashed in Scotland. And then, just hours later, another friend was lucky to walk away when his chopper flipped onto its side while making an emergency landing in Essex.

Strangely, however, it’s not a fear of dying that puts me off the idea of private aviation. It’s the surefire knowledge that nothing in all the world is likely to be quite so boring and pointless.

The idea of piloting your own helicopter or light aircraft, among the clouds and the linnets, far above the jams and the pressure, is an appealing prospect for anyone who doesn’t know what to do with his money.

Better still, you might imagine that you could enliven your journey by swooping underneath low bridges, divebombing fields of cattle, looping the loop over friends’ houses and landing for the hell of it in beauty spots and bird sanctuaries.

Only last month, I flew down the Okavango River in Botswana in a twin-engined light aircraft; following the waterway’s endless twists and turns just 6ft up, at 150mph. It was a joyous and brilliant thing to do. But unfortunately, if you tried that at home, skimming the Don in Sheffield, for instance, a man with adenoids and a clipboard would come round and take your licence away.

In fact, the whole process of learning to fly, it seems to me, is designed specifically to weed out those who might want a plane or a helicopter for fun.

When you want a driving licence, all you have to do is demonstrate to a man in beige trousers that you can reverse round a corner. But when you want a licence to fly, you must demonstrate to the entire Civil Aviation Authority that you are prepared to spend several months with your nose in various text books on meteorology and aerodynamics. Plainly, it only wants pedants up there.

Then you have to spend more months learning how to use a radio. Why? I know already. You just stab away at various buttons until someone comes over the speaker. Then you tell him what you want.

Oh no you don’t. You have to talk in a stupid code, saying “over” when you’ve finished speaking for the moment and “out” when you’ve finished altogether. Why? When I ring the plumber or the local Indian restaurant, I am able to convey the nature of my request perfectly well using English. So why when I’m in a plane do I have to talk in gibberish?

“Hello, it’s Jeremy. Is it all right to land?” is a much easier way of saying, “Weston Tower, this is Charlie Victor Tango on 8453.113 requesting a westerly approach to runway 27.”

But private pilots love all this sort of stuff. They love doing utterly pointless preflight checks, tapping dials and making sure that a bunch of goblins didn’t come in the night and chew through all the wires.

They never think: “I bought this plane to make my life more convenient but in the time I’ve spent checking it, I could have driven to Leeds.” And nor do they ever think: “If these checks are so foolproof, how come that in the western United States, more small planes fall out of the sky than rain drops.”

No really. In America, more than one person a day is killed in private plane crashes. Light aircraft, over there, are known as “dentist killers”.

And try this for size. You don’t have to check your plane if you leave it alone for a few hours in the day. But you do if it’s been left alone at night. Why? Do the plane goblins only come out when it’s dark? No. Will a comprehensive preflight check keep your plane in the air? No. The fact is that pilots love checking things. They love details.

I know this from glancing at the magazines they read. Boat magazines are full of boats skimming the waves with naked girls on the foredeck. But plane magazines are filled with lists of serial numbers and adverts for stuff that no one could conceivably ever want to buy. Quarter-scale cockpit models, for instance. And hideous pictures of Lancasters, at sunset, over Dresden.

Just last night, I spent some time in the company of two private plane enthusiasts who never once talked about the speed of their machines or the convenience, or the sheer, unbridled fun of skimming the treetops at 150mph. Instead, they talked for hours about parking and refuelling. I bet they think the best bit of sex is unwrapping the condom.

Certainly, they seem to have a weird love for the medical, which they must take every 15 minutes. I can’t see why this is necessary because medicals cannot predict a heart attack, which is about the only thing that will affect someone’s ability to fly a plane.

And you know what. Hardly anyone with a plane ever uses it to go somewhere useful. Instead, they take “the old kite” from their flying club headquarters to another flying club headquarters where they have some cheese and Branston pickle. And then they fly home again. What’s that all about?

And while they’re flying around, spoiling the peace and quiet for everyone on the ground, they are having absolutely no fun whatsoever. This is because they are at 3,000ft, where 100mph feels like you’re standing still. And they can’t come down low for fear of the man with adenoids.

So, the recipe for flying then. You drive to an airfield, check your plane for two hours, take off, sit still, speak gibberish into a radio, land, eat cheese and then sit still again till you’re home again. Repeat until one day you hear a loud bang . . .

Contacttower
23rd Sep 2007, 20:47
No really. In America, more than one person a day is killed in private plane crashes.

Is that really true?

gcolyer
23rd Sep 2007, 20:52
Quote:
No really. In America, more than one person a day is killed in private plane crashes.
Is that really true?

I reckon if you average the number of deaths over the days of the year then it could be.

Example:

89 C172 go down with 4 on board, that averages 1 person a day. Things like Barons are much more popular in the states than the UK. Get one of them go down fully loaded a nd the 6 people gone.

Caudillo
23rd Sep 2007, 20:52
Priceless, you've got to hand it to him, he's a sharp guy..! :D

Contacttower
23rd Sep 2007, 21:15
You have to talk in a stupid code, saying “over” when you’ve finished speaking for the moment and “out” when you’ve finished altogether.

Well it was obviously a very well researched article...

I don't lump Clarkson with other journalists though...there is a lot of truth actually in that article, although his views may be rather tainted by knowing James May. :p

Davaar
23rd Sep 2007, 21:23
Ummmmmmmmmmmm. Roger, Over and Out. As they say.

tegwin
23rd Sep 2007, 21:24
Thats classic clarkson commedy.....

He does have a point though....Not that its going to stop me..I happen to like Cheese and Pickle sandwiches thankyou very bloodywell much!:D

stickandrudderman
23rd Sep 2007, 21:27
He is of course, dead right.
Except that he hasn't really got a clue what he's talking about.
His great skill is in making everything sound dull and trite, even when the listener knows it isn't.
He's not so much a journalist as a comedian; one that I find very entertaining.
Well, that is when I'm not having my teeth extracted by an overweight sweaty Bulgarian wrestler who's wife hasn't allowed him near her for twenty years.
Anyway.....

stiknruda
23rd Sep 2007, 22:53
Pitts 2112, a contributor here, once offered Jeremy a ride in a Pitts. Jeremy's mum, sorry I mean his office, said absoloutely no way, he get's terribly travel sick.

Over and Out

Golf - Sierra Tango India Kilo

POBJOY
23rd Sep 2007, 23:06
He needs to go for a banner tow out of a 400m strip !!!

englishal
24th Sep 2007, 00:19
He's quite correct in a lot of what he says ;) I think he must have read Pprune before writing that article (particularly the thread about "pre flight checks" ;))

Sideslipper
24th Sep 2007, 06:45
Sounds as if he had a trial lesson and realised he wouldn't be able to hack it for real.:)
"Those who can, fly; those who can't, drive";)
Shouldn't take J too seriously. Articles of that nature are meant to entertain, not inform.

IO540
24th Sep 2007, 07:06
A lot of truth in what he says.

I wrote in to point out that it isn't the whole truth, of course...

High Wing Drifter
24th Sep 2007, 07:25
I read that and thought of BoseX :}

Whirlybird
24th Sep 2007, 07:39
Has no-one told him that if you want the sheer, unbridled fun of skimming the treetops at 150mph. you should fly a helicopter. No "man with adenoids" will object so long as you're about to land. This is "normal aviation practice" for whirly-things.

Seriously though, made me chuckle....and not much on this forum does that these days. :{ Not 100% accurate (who says over or out) but who cares? A lot of truth there too.

snapper41
24th Sep 2007, 07:57
I recall seeing Jezza flying in an F-15 and a P-51 during his 'Extreme Machines' series. I suspect he didn't laugh at the pilots for doing a full walk-round then? Oh - and wasn't he violently ill during both flights??:rolleyes:

Spruit
24th Sep 2007, 08:13
He's a funny man, loved the article, I like Jeremy, he's very opinionated and good on him for it!

and wasn't he violently ill during both flights

I almost cried with laughter watching that, Jezza in the back of an F15 ejecting his brekkie into a barf bag! This from "your quintecential mans man, tyre squealing and taking the p*** out of his camera men when he makes them i'll during his "driving"" Priceless! :}

S-Works
24th Sep 2007, 08:27
It was one of the funniest things I have read in ages and totally bang on. The guy has an amazing sense of humour and an ability to graze close to the knuckle.

Those who are offended should like inside and see why........ :p

gasax
24th Sep 2007, 08:39
I'm right with Jezzer. I read it and thought he had nailed the vast majority of things that are wrong with flying here. OK there's is a little comical effect but show me anything that is factually incorrect - then browse the threads here and elsewhere and spot the pedants.

Remember the 'why do people give up flying' thread - I think Jezzer got most of it in that article.

Of course I shall not give up because I enjoy doodling about and operating mainly clear of flying clubs and the like I'm largely clear of the people who would make me want to give up (or throttle them). And I ration the time I spend here!

Genghis the Engineer
24th Sep 2007, 08:47
Ah yes, Mr Clarkson. Let's face it, he makes a good living out of expressing views loudly and contentiously - and entertains the rest of us very well in the process.

That many of the "facts" behind those views are somewhat erroneous should be neither here nor there - it's entertainment, not serious journalism. I doubt that JC himself would ever deny that.

G

flyingphil1
24th Sep 2007, 08:48
Have you seen Mr. Clarkson driving? Thank God he wont takeflying up as a hobby and ...... what the hell does "pedants" mean and why would the CAA want them up there? ... (Plainly, it only wants pedants up there) Over!

petes1s
24th Sep 2007, 10:27
Very funny article, how true
The two people :
"two private plane enthusiasts who never once talked about the speed of their machines or the convenience, or the sheer, unbridled fun of skimming the treetops at 150mph. Instead, they talked for hours about parking and refuelling. "
are probably James May and Colin Goodwin (Autocar) who share a Luscombe at White Waltham.

To be fair, in a Luscombe of limited oomph all you can do is "check your plane for two hours, take off, sit still, speak gibberish into a radio, land, eat cheese and then sit still again till you’re home again."

IO540
24th Sep 2007, 11:02
Regarding Clarkson's wholly accurate comment about boats and naked women, I think boating (of the kind that will attract women, never mind naked ones) is potentially a lot more hassle than flying. Serious boating, as far as I can see, tends to be done by people who are obviously working at most very part-time, and have funds which only a TBM700 owner would match in aviation terms. One has no chance at all of pulling a bird with the sort of boat one would get with a PA28 type of budget. And the utility value of a boat, even the fastest one, is close to zero unless you live in say the Greek islands or Croatia.

He could have written an essentially similar article about any pastime you care to name

That's very true too, but GA is the one pastime which really needs a better image with the public.

High Wing Drifter
24th Sep 2007, 11:05
WR,

Quite so, I would have liked to seen a similar argument on sports cars. Made me laugh though :D

slim_slag
24th Sep 2007, 11:07
Pulled the Mrs when I didn't even own a car. Admittedly she now considers she made a terrible mistake, but wit and repartee will always pull a better class of chick than a spamcan.

high-hopes
24th Sep 2007, 11:35
It's all well easy to judge other people's hobbies when you're well overpaid to try sports cars and make a bit of humorous banter for a living.

I found his books (never bought one, but from what I've read by the shelf at WHS) rather boring and useless.

He reminds me of Chris Moyles, very opinionated pontificator, but still the funniest/most interesting parts of their shows is when their sidekicks speak.

But hey, he's entitled to his opinion just like we are entitled not to listen to / read what he has to say.

snapper41
24th Sep 2007, 11:48
He reminds me of Chris Moyles, very opinionated pontificator, but still the funniest/most interesting parts of their shows is when their sidekicks speak.

And Steve Wright! Why doesn't anyone tell him he's not funny any more? (Was he ever?)

youngskywalker
24th Sep 2007, 12:00
Steve Wright, now thats a man who loves the sound of his own voice! Boring as f@#k!

Clarkson loves to be controversial, I quite like his non pc attitude in this day and age, I wouldnt take what he says too seriously!

IO540
24th Sep 2007, 13:47
Was James May the presenter who "flew" that Cessna from Cannes to the UK, only to get "beaten" by a car?

scooter boy
24th Sep 2007, 14:44
"Was James May the presenter who "flew" that Cessna from Cannes to the UK, only to get "beaten" by a car?"

Absolutely, and if they had used an aircraft of equal value to the Bugatti Veyron, say a malibu meridian, even with the penalty of the first hour on mopeds they would have been back in the UK before JC had made his 15th fuel stop somewhere near Dijon.

Funny how the car always wins.

Personally I almost always use aircraft to go somewhere (work related) and funnily enough they save me a heck of a lot of time and stress.

Best not tell that to JC though.

SB

Knight Paladin
24th Sep 2007, 15:24
Am loving how many people here have got their knickers in a twist about this. Nice work, Mr Clarkson!

helicopter-redeye
24th Sep 2007, 15:29
But unfortunately, if you tried that at home, skimming the Don in Sheffield, for instance, a man with adenoids and a clipboard would come round and take your licence away.

http://www.helicopter-redeye.com/XX%20RAF%20Sea%20King%20Low%20Over%20River%20Don%20Sheffield .jpg

Sea King from the Romeo Alpha Foxtrot skimming the River Delta Oscar November (Don) in Sheffield (I see no adenoids..)

Hotel-Romeo Out.

NB Library Picture from the Bravo Bravo Charlie

Fly Stimulator
24th Sep 2007, 16:09
Since we're on the subject of Clarkson and we're hardly ever off the subject of GPS, here's a story (http://newsbiscuit.com/article/halfords-launch-tourettes-sat-nav-190) that features both...

Saturday's Telegraph featured a much more sympathetic article involving private flying from the ever-excellent Michael Wright - here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/main.jhtml?xml=/property/2007/09/22/pfolie122.xml).

foxmoth
24th Sep 2007, 17:03
The car vs aircraft race was a bit of a farce, if they had not set of at a time that JM was going to run out of daylight then it would have been a whitewash the other way round. And if he thinks flying is boring I think Clarkson should come down to UH and try the Top Gun profile in the Extra.:ooh:

alvin-sfc
24th Sep 2007, 18:31
I love witty people,the more absurd the better but in my own humble opinion,I find JC a bigheaded git and he just bores me to distraction.I especially,"liked" his comment about light a/c noise disturbing peoples peace.I suppose its different when he roars down the street in his Ferrari,posing in his shades and looking around to see if anybodys looking.
T....R. :rolleyes:

Cusco
24th Sep 2007, 21:43
I thought the article was a hoot...........

I've never seen so many knickers in twists than I've seen here and on the other side in the last 24 hours.

C'mon Gen aviators, lighten up.

Cusco:rolleyes:

Tim Dawson
24th Sep 2007, 21:45
Also if May had gotten his night rating it would have been different. Although I don't think he would have tried to land at London City somehow.

alvin-sfc
25th Sep 2007, 18:32
Sorry. Knickers slowly beginning to unwind as we speak.:hmm:http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/icons/umph.gif

shortstripper
25th Sep 2007, 19:03
You've got to giggle! :D lol

S-Works
25th Sep 2007, 19:46
I don't know what has made me laugh more the original article or the indignant posts from the anoraks defending themselves!!!!!

:p

Shaggy Sheep Driver
25th Sep 2007, 20:26
"Biggles, you're a crashing bore!"

"Clarkson, you're jealous!"

SSD

MSP Aviation
26th Sep 2007, 02:04
Light aircraft, over there, are known as “dentist killers”.

Never heard that one. V-Tail Bonanzas are, however, known as "doctor killers."

Dan Winterland
26th Sep 2007, 02:40
Well, a more meaningful flight in Jeremy's book would to be flying 30 minutes of aeros in something like a Yak 52. However, if offered he would probably decline - because he suffers from airsickness!

Yak indeed!