PDA

View Full Version : Carry on luggage

Hufty
23rd Sep 2007, 11:41
I am trying to buy the largest bag or case that you can carry on i.e. 56cm x 45cm x 25cm.

I would have though that manufacturers would jump at the chance to produce bags to this exact size but I can only find ones that are either smaller or larger overall in one or two of the three dimensions.

Has anybody managed to track the "optimum" case or bag down?

BTW I'm in the market for the world's cheapest piece of luggage too.

A2QFI
23rd Sep 2007, 13:24
I have a Samsonite roller case with retractable handle that fits the gauges at the airports and holds a useful 10kg. Ref Nos on label inside include 293209155 and 348 105 15. Argos also do a nylon flight case size carry on at £19.99 I have one and it is cheap and cheerful but does the job.

X_class
23rd Sep 2007, 14:53
Rimowa do various 56x45x25 Multiwheel cases in the Limbo and Tango ranges. Their web site has the dimensions as exactly 56x45x25 so I would suggest you check that the handle, wheels, locks etc are included in that. I have one of their larger cases and am very happy so far.

Also not the inexpensive end of the market :).

Final 3 Greens
23rd Sep 2007, 15:15
I have 2 of the Rimowa cases.

they are excellent, bujt not suitable for cheapskates :}

Shanwick Shanwick
23rd Sep 2007, 16:03
I use one of these by Tumi:

http://www.tumi.com/travel_luggage/carry_ons_wheeled/category_search/west_broadway_51cm_20_wheeled_carry_on_convertible_backpack/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=66898

It fits in all gauges other than those ridiculous ones that Jet 2 use. Up to a 3 night trip it's fine. Any more and I take the Delsey. I think it was $295 in the U.S.

Nyquist77
26th Sep 2007, 13:45
John Lewis on Oxford St have a wooden box representing cabin baggage maximums. I spent a fun 15 mins trying to squeeze a variety of different bags in to the box. in the end i settled for quite a big black samsonite which i didnt think would fit but somehow did. the wheels are tucked in well and dont pretrude.

Definitely worth going down to the store to check it out. I think it's on the 4th or 5th floor travel section. My advice is ignore the staff as they dont know what actually fits in the box anyway and were surprised when my bag did.

I love travelling hand luggage only

Itswindyout
28th Sep 2007, 15:08
Each airline has its own idea of the correct size, for example if you arrived on BA, and then continued on Sleezy, your BA approved bag would be too big for Sleezy.
And also your two peices of carry on from India on BA would be limited to one on the Sleezy.

U have been warned.

PAXboy
28th Sep 2007, 16:56
Samsonite. I bought one in Germany that had 'LH cabin approved' stickers on it and have used it for the past seven years. I agree that the frames at airports can be suspect and any shop that has a correct frame is obviously trying to do the right thing. The luggage shop at Selfridges in Oxford Street is a travellers chistmas grotto!