PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair 180deg turns, mid-runway

MrSoft
23rd Sep 2007, 09:06
I am a regular (for my sins) on Ryanair Leeds Bradford to Dublin.

I noticed that often when returning to LBA, the crew don't proceed to the turning point at the end of the runway, but slam on the brakes and do a 180deg pirouette on the main runway.

The effect is quite spectacular (especially if you're sitting over the wings) - akin to being rotated in an office chair. As we all know our friends in FR don't hang about.

My question is, does this not place a strain on the main gear and/or tyres? Especially at LBA it seems to be literally grinding a hole on the spot. Equipment is standard Ryanair 737-800 with winglets.

Just curious. Any engineers out there who would care to comment?

toolowtoofast
23rd Sep 2007, 09:50
73 has single axle bogey and will rotate about the inboard gear. as long as the brakes aren't locked, the steering limits are not exceeded, and the airport operator is happy, what's the problem?

Gassy
23rd Sep 2007, 17:00
Dont think if he was asking if there was a problem?!?! More just curious to the effects (if any) on the plane.

MrSoft
24th Sep 2007, 06:49
Yeah no problem, just checking my fun wasn't a problem for the aircraft.

Well, a/c may be designed to do this safely, but (in my experience) most of them don't. Describing a wider turn (I assume) reduces wear and tear; otherwise wouldn't everyone just do a 180 on the spot?