PDA

View Full Version : SACAA turning to JAR?

Captain_djaffar
23rd Sep 2007, 05:32
South African Civil Aviation Authorities are turning the aviation licenses up to the JAR standard as from january 2008.:rolleyes:
Actually only the syllabus are going to change into JAR examination wise ground exams,and it seems licenses will keep being certified under SACAA.
Anybody got more precise information about this particular changeover?
cheers.:O

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Sep 2007, 06:09
Pretty much what you said. SACAA will follow the JAR syllabus but will continue to operate independently of JAR. Your SACAA license will not be transferable to a JAR license without undergoing the actual JAR certification process.

rags
23rd Sep 2007, 12:12
Plane4sale quote that the new system will be implemented towards the end of 2008 and as I see it those who started and have credits on 1st Jan 2008 is OK Now what is going to happen between 1 st Jan and the " towards end of year" No exams can be written or what? No sylabus no exams

Just asking?:\

Captain_djaffar
23rd Sep 2007, 14:09
So...can someone actually explain to me then what will be the difference between someone who holds a real JAR license and someone who sat for his SACAA licenses after 2008 with simply the new jar syllabus implemented?

I mean if SACAA adopts the JAR syllabus...how and on what aspects the actual JAR license and the new 'regulated' (after 2008) SA license shall differ?Flying?laws?etc...
thanks.

GgW
23rd Sep 2007, 21:49
Why is it that SACAA wants to copy the Jar model for obtaining a cpl or atpl. The practical training that South African pilots receive does not really stand back for any Jar school, that is a proof of the so many Brits that goes to 43' , Progress, Aptrac etc and has absolutely no problem to convert their licenses in minimum time. Is it perhaps that the massive amount of theory that you must study , for example how a cold war airplane's aircon system work, or how to spent hours and hours how to track a f-word NDB. The only really thing that makes sense is that you can do the 14 exams with ppl in hand. Jar is Europe,FAA is the states, what works for them does not necesary works in another country.

DropTheDunlops
24th Sep 2007, 08:05
GgW wrote:

Is it perhaps that the massive amount of theory that you must study , for example how a cold war airplane's aircon system work, or how to spent hours and hours how to track a f-word NDB.

That is why I think it's great that the SACAA are adopting the JAR syllabus for exams. The old CAA way of thinking is really antiquated and what you have to learn is useless in day to day operations. The JAR syllabus is practical and more relevant to modern day aviation. Learning about Autoflight systems and FMC/FMS/GPS operation is way more practical than understanding doppler radar!!!!

Well done on moving forward CAA, it's about time.

DropTheDunlops
24th Sep 2007, 09:10
It also includes polar tracks, North Atlatic minimum navigation performance etc. South Africa is not even RVSM yet.

I agree with your statement Suitecaseman. But do South African pilots only fly in SA? Granted, most South African pilots might not do a North Atlantic MNPS crossing everyday but does that mean they don't need to know about it? Isn't RVSM going to be implemented in SA soon and what about guys on contract in North Africa/ or corporate pilots flying into European airspace.

South Africa needs to keep moving forward and it needs to "keep up with the times". We dont need to only know what is applicable in SA as surely the majority of Comm pilots will be operating in Africa for their first 1000 hrs anyway ( DME Arc App's etc.)

The CAA has an enormous task to reach JAA/JAR standards - I doubt they'll ever achieve it. I'm only glad they have reviewed the mostly 'useless' exam syllabus and added something more relevant.

birdlady
24th Sep 2007, 15:43
This may seem like a silly question so just bear with me please. :O:O

By implementing the JAA system does this mean that we can do our ATP theory exams with a PPL? And then unfreeze so to speak once we have the required hours. :confused::confused:

rags
1st Oct 2007, 11:01
Poooooorrrr allllll you sukkers with frozen ATP's. To get it unfrozen you will need big hours on certified 2 crew aircraft above a certain weight (if we do it as per JAR OPS) (and the last I saw part 61 it is in) and those airies will only be available to those who are lucky enough to get into airlines B190 B200 etc is out

You will also need a minimum of 40 hrs sim and another 20 hours on a sim to train in 2 crew. I also stand to be corrected by our more learnered friends.

You will only have 2 aircraft on your licence and if it expires you need to reconvert

Part 61 will close RSA flying down and sory to be negative.

Se maar net :ugh:

GOOD LUCK

fuzzy.duck
17th Jan 2008, 11:44
Please can someone help me understand and exccuse me for being a retard but what happens to us folk who have a SACAA commercial licence and now want to come back to South Africa to fly there..? Is this licence now invalid..? Is there a possibility of converting to JAR or does that mean, everything all over again..? (Please no)

dynamite dean
20th Jan 2008, 21:50
Well I read with interest;I did my SA ATPL (ALTP depending which trail of thought) to a british frozen ATPL and I can tell you its a long expensive process whether its easier or difficult depends which one you did first!:}

I remember the UK CAA all I can get for my SA ATPL is a PPL:( well two years have passed and safe to say that its a distant memory - thankfully. DD

Pixi
21st Jan 2008, 08:02
So does that mean that if you have a SA Comm you can't go and write the JAA ATPL directly but first have to re-do the JAA Comm? We will be immigrating to the UK within the next year or two and obviously this will have a big influence on job opportunities.:bored:

Gooneybird
21st Jan 2008, 08:16
JAR is a mess designed to make aviation unapproachable to anyone but rich kids.

FAA is a better system to follow. Nothing wrong with redesigning the SA ATP exams but to follow JAR.... France at one time wouldn't accept Swiss JAR licenses so all this commonality argument is also spurious. UK went back to it's own PPL syllabus. and the ability to issue IMC ratings to private pilots.

SA should go it's own way, whatever is best for SA pilots and aviation not blindly follow a flawed European model.

Just my ranting opinion.

Gooneybird
21st Jan 2008, 08:19
So does that mean that if you have a SA Comm you can't go and write the JAA ATPL directly but first have to re-do the JAA Comm? We will be immigrating to the UK within the next year or two and obviously this will have a big influence on job opportunities.

You can write the JAR ATPL exams with a PPL, medical and 150 hours (with certain conditions). One of the better things about JAR is that the CPL and ATPL exams aren't separate issues.

GgW
21st Jan 2008, 09:47
Pixi you can go straight for the atpl's, YOu only need a valid ICAO ppl to sart them anyway.
Advise: Get you initial class 1 medical done at Gatwick before you do anything else.

JAR is a mess designed to make aviation unapproachable to anyone but rich kids.

Only if you go intergrated, poor bastards like myself did it the modular way.

Pixi
22nd Jan 2008, 06:57
Thanks GgW! Great news. :ok: Will also do the medical. Does one need to make a prior appointment with the UK JAA people if you want more information or can you just arrive there with all your documents and ask for help?

putt for dough
22nd Jan 2008, 07:33
You would have to phone and make an appointment.

GgW
22nd Jan 2008, 08:24
Pixi
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527

The link will give you the contact details. Like putt for dough said youwill need to phone them , When I did mine a few years ago, there was a waiting time of 2 months for the initial medical.