PDA

View Full Version : New protection for stranded passengers

dfish
23rd Sep 2007, 01:10
WASHINGTON - U.S. airlines and airports would have to come up with plans to provide passengers stranded by long delays with food, water and other basic amenities under an aviation bill approved by the House of Representatives Thursday.
The legislation also demands that plans be drawn up to allow passengers to deplane following excessive delays and makes clear that the Transportation Department can levy civil penalties against a carrier or airport that doesn't adhere to contingency arrangements.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20892236

Any thoughts?

Dave F.
CYYZ

dkaarma
23rd Sep 2007, 05:50
Notice how they don't define an 'excessive delay'...Nice fluffy policy with no substance...And it's a bit of a sick sad world when you have to legislate to get a buisniness to provide what I would think should be just good customer service.

PAXboy
23rd Sep 2007, 11:13
At a cynical guess ... this sounds like legislation aimed at the LoCos. We have seen similar things in Europe that smell as if they are pushed by those who do not like the new carriers. Despite new carriers stating their Terms of Carriage very clearly, people have come to expect various things.

If caught by circumstances on the a/c, then it is reasonable for the carrier to provide refreshment. If pax are caught by circumstances in the terminal, then it is reasonable for them to pay their own refreshments. Once again, if it is after normal operating hours and shops are closed, then the carrier must provide. All of these things are common sense but some carriers do not do them and, after a once in a lifetime bad experience, some pax start to claim the earth.

So, my guess is that the old school of airline is behind this, combined with legislators having demands from their voters. There is nothing on paper of course, but on paper, it looks like an easy fix - just tell the carriers to spend money. But it is actually about a change in the times and the way that business is conducted. It is prior expectations that, understandably, get people used to certain things but times have changed.

Please note that I have never worked for any airline and have no axe about LoCos, I am just a passenger.