PDA

View Full Version : Congo Immigration Visa penalty

Piloti
22nd Sep 2007, 18:41
I have been squeezed by Kalemie for a visa on a night/stop. I didn't pay in the end, but it took a visit from the #2 Immigration guy in town to come out to the airport. In Kindu there is no problem. Bukavu I only went to once and it was a turn-around, so I don't know for sure.
What's the deal? Anybody else arm-twisted?:confused:

Siguarda al fine
23rd Sep 2007, 08:13
I have been ragged bagged and sha**ed for the past twenty five years there. If you dont accept that THEY make up the rules as they go along dont visit this wonderous country.

Baron Von Mildred
24th Sep 2007, 15:08
I once stopped at Kamina, already in possession of a visa issued in Kinshasa, to be told I also needed one issued in Kamina. Could be be construed as treason! Katanga no longer part of DRC!....

I pretended I thought it was a very funny joke, and eventually escaped without having to buy in new visa!

mundele
7th Oct 2007, 05:53
I flew all over the DRC in 2005 and 2006. I left in March of this year so things may have changed.

We were told the DGM had no authority to levee fees, fines or taxes anywhere inside the country if you had a good visa. What the DGM guys do, is their best to bluff you into paying something. If you said no, no, no and were firm, polite and calm about it, they eventually gave up (you can give them a hard look while you are being firm, polite and calm.)

They did have the right to look at the passport and record numbers and even have you visit the office (that happened in Kasongo). But nothing beyond that. If they get stubborn about it, judge the situation and just snatch your passport back and walk away. I and others I know have done that.

I don't know if this is true but I had the feeling they put the word out on which pilots, and passengers, were easy marks and which were not. If the word gets out you won't pay, you don't generally get bothered.

When I was there Kananga was the worst place.

Again this was current as of March, 2007. I don't know the situation now.

wilford@global
7th Oct 2007, 09:39
dont forget that most of the guys working at the airports dont get salaries or if they do ,it is a very little.And certainly not on a regular basis.
They have to scrounge around, and do the best that they can, to make ends meet.