PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP or ICAO ATPL?

Springbok614
22nd Sep 2007, 16:30
I am looking to do an ATPL soon. My longterm goal is to fly in the East or Middle East for the well known airlines i.e. Qatar, Emirates, Cathay, Singapore, Dragonair. I am an South African citizen/ licensed CPL.

Would it be better to do a ICAO ATPL then or a FAA ATPL? Which one carries more weight? Does a FAA ATPL get regarded as a ICAO ATPL? Is the USA a ICAO country/aviation authority?

I am not looking for the perseived easy way out ATPL by doing the FAA ATPL, I just dont want to do double work as my long term goal is to base myself in an airline outside of the Africa permanently.

I look forward to responses from people "in the know"!

Bealzebub
22nd Sep 2007, 19:13
The ICAO does not issue pilots licences, only national or supranational aviation licensing authorities can do that. Most countries are accredited members of ICAO including the United states. It would be as well to decide where you are likely to be able to work and seek to aquire that countries licence either by training to that standard, or obtaining the necessary conversion requirements.

ICAO state that : ICAO does not issue any licences. Licences issued by ICAO Contracting States on the basis of Standards and Recommended Practices of Annex 1 – Personnel Licensing, are habitually called ICAO licences. This has led many to believe that there is a specific ICAO or international licence. The fact is that there is not one single international licence issued by ICAO or any other organization. States issue their own licences based on national regulations in conformity with Annex 1 specifications and validate licences issued by other Contracting States on the basis of bilateral or multilateral agreements or the fulfilment of nationally legislated requirements.

GgW
22nd Sep 2007, 19:19
FAA ATPL is issued by the USA, why do want a USA ATPL to fly in the Middle East. A South African ATPL is a ICAO ATPL , as is a JAA ATPL .( Read up in your airlaw manual the defenition of ICAO ) Do your subjects in SA, and do the flight test. Its going to be the easiest way to get a atp for you , If you are lucky and get a job with Qatar, they would most probably ask you to have your license validated.