PDA

View Full Version : Jetconnect to operate Dash's in NZ?

pointyendforward
21st Sep 2007, 20:14
I heard this the other day. Can anyone confirm it? What will they do for crewing and maintenence?

Cloud Cutter
21st Sep 2007, 22:54
If that's true, it will be the biggest shake up in NZ domestic aviation since Ansett NZ. Can't see why they haven't done it sooner.

#1AHRS
21st Sep 2007, 23:55
Well they had better be quick or there will be no one left to drive them. Still leaking like a sieve with five pilots resigning last week.

windytown
22nd Sep 2007, 01:51
Just supposing Jetconnect was to operate Dashs, would that imply a large reduction of 737s and an increase of A320 by J* eg Wgn Brisbane as J* and limited J* on NZ trunks eg fly ChCH Brisbane Wgn ChCH?

Arctaurus
22nd Sep 2007, 03:05
It does seem that as J* expands, JitConnict and the 737 operation has a question mark over it's longer term future.

If the cost is right, why wouldn't J* operate most or all of the existing 737 services when more A320's are available ?

So from that perspective, Dash's or something equivalent might be the only way Jitconnict will survive as an operating entity.

Bongo Bus Driver
22nd Sep 2007, 04:05
There will be no shortage of drivers. Especially if Air nsn pilot negotiations go the way their engineers negotiations went. Jet Connect if you want to be successful just pay a good wage and offer a good lifestyle oriented contract and you will be flooded with experienced type rated applicants.

cjam
22nd Sep 2007, 04:42
Man if JetC had a presence in the out stations (WB TG etc) and people could book all the way on the qantas website a lot of pax would be happy for having the choice and the JetC 737 ops would see a healthy increase in numbers. I know a lot of travellers who only go with Air NZ because they can book right through to their destination. Would definately be a shake-up.

conflict alert
22nd Sep 2007, 10:10
could book all the way on the qantas website a lot of pax would be happy for having the choice

Did that...never again. Flights cancelled, both ends, no customer service, lies and deceit ..absolute shambles..ALL the pax were pissed off (both times) and would never book through qantas again...so there ya go.

blow.n.gasket
22nd Sep 2007, 22:01
Is this the same mob who have allegedly almost flown into the side of a hill twice?
God help the travelling public!:bored:

WLGHilton
22nd Sep 2007, 22:14
True, but it was with your countrymen driving them. NZ has mountains and Aust has hills, explains it all really.

cjam
22nd Sep 2007, 23:55
Aye? Did they have a terrain egpws or something?

Going Boeing
23rd Sep 2007, 03:50
Dash8-Q400's... eek, shiver at the thought.

Have you firm info that they are going to be Q400's?

I suspect that they will be surplus Dash8-100's/200's from Eastern/Sunstate airlines which are currently experiencing a partial fleet replacement.

Capitaine72
23rd Sep 2007, 06:49
That will make the break-even point even more unattainable.

Captain Stoobing
23rd Sep 2007, 09:46
Jarse and Hoss,
What do you reckon fella's??
Will they need us to go to Inzid to C & T the Jitconnict crews on their ( our ) Dash's??
Think of the expenses.................
Stoobs. :hmm:

Chocks Away
23rd Sep 2007, 10:25
... well QF B737 crews are currently on very lucrative tours through there to fill in, so you may as well too!:ok:

#1AHRS
23rd Sep 2007, 21:41
Oops, better make that six..!

newsensation
23rd Sep 2007, 21:59
It's true Sunstate to open a base in Queenstown, after the success of the Canberra base....:D

hoss
24th Sep 2007, 03:52
haven't you heard about the sunstate ski club;). canberra to queenstown would be a promotion.

sorry Captain Stoobing, i just put in my resignation from QL a few hours ago i'm off to something a little bit redder.

:)

Going Boeing
24th Sep 2007, 05:57
All the best for the future Hoss.

PS. I hope you're not paying for your endo.

WynSock
24th Sep 2007, 11:09
That a boy Hoss, good luck in your new shiny aeroplane with wings on the bottom.

According to QL managers, there are plenty of guys with your experience just waiting to fill your position to fly their arses off for peanuts.

NOT!

SkySurfin
25th Sep 2007, 06:40
Jetconnect are suppose to be making an announcement end of this month, 30th I think............. 767s?

mattyj
25th Sep 2007, 10:01
Don't I remember a news story from late last year on how jetconnect are finally finishing with their Dash8 base in Christchurch..it showed pics of what looked like 100s in Qantas colours!!??

WLGHilton
25th Sep 2007, 22:04
You could PM the jetconnect Chief Pilot. Oh hang on that won't work anymore, he's just gone to Pac Blue.

#1AHRS
27th Sep 2007, 22:28
Make that seven now. Seven in the last 14 days!

Biggles747
27th Sep 2007, 23:06
You could PM the jetconnect Chief Pilot. Oh hang on that won't work anymore, he's just gone to Pac Blue

Out of the frying pan, into the fire. :confused:

cjam
27th Sep 2007, 23:31
Are all these people leaving because they are getting higher paid jobs with air nz and the likes or do they know something about the future of JC that jo public doesn't, or alternatively is there poor moral at JC?

horserun
28th Sep 2007, 02:18
Good question cjam. Whats going on aye?
Someone musk know?

threecombs
28th Sep 2007, 05:21
Horserun, watch this space. Borghetti is dispatching his 2Ic on the 8th of october to brief all Qantas NZ ( jetconnect ) staff on "quote" large expansion plans in the New Zealand domestic market to further increase our competetive edge.
There's just too many rumours out there to even speculate what these changes may be.
Seven resignations last week. Most to premier airlines, couple of Aussies going home etc. two to PB
My take on it is this - JC is a good place to be. It's not Air Nz and never will be, but it's got a great bunch of people, good route structure and probably the quickest proggresion the the left seat in the pacific rim. There"s no conditions in the contract ( at all ) but the renumeration is reasonable ( 95 - 100k ) for an f/o including allowances. You get to live in NZ and spend most nights at home. Sure beats the hell out living in Hong Kong, I'd say. Management is on the average side but the signs are there that things are improving. I worked 17 day's last month, not to bad.
anyway, enough said from my fine self, time to sit back and read the howls of indignation that someone dare say something good about this airline.

horserun
28th Sep 2007, 07:00
Nice one threecombs :ok::ok:

I would love to work there (as I have said in other posts). The guys I know who work at JC are all good sorts, and I think all would agree with what youy have said.

So the 8th of October aye!! Will keep an eye out in the news papers.

threecombs
28th Sep 2007, 22:05
propoganda, I can see why you think that. Let me explain the package.
66k base. 9k annual retention bonus. $4 for every hour your away from home ( adds up about $350 - 400 a fortnite ) Incentive pay of $85 for every hour flown over 65 total. This month I've been rostered to fly 83, do the maths. When u've acheived 500 hrs on type the base goes up to 72k.
Of course not everyone is going to earn the same, the wlg based guys doing tasmans all the time, earn more for example. At my interview I was shown the four most recent hires salary for the year. It reads like this
105k, 102k, 95k , 92k. (beats the hell out of earning a turboprop salary!!!)
Now if your sitting fat, stupid and happy at Virgin or QF I could see how you would think that's ****e, fair enough.
most of us (including the ones leaving) are generally happy enough with the cash (pac blue guys are taking a pay cut) it's just the conditions that now need improving

Chocks Away
29th Sep 2007, 05:44
Yeh, Pacific Blue pay has none of those benefits Jetcon recieve.
They're the lowest paid in the region, not keeping up with 4% inflation... and look to be about to work a whole lot harder on Domestic!
Why the jump across?

WLGHilton
29th Sep 2007, 07:07
Are all these people leaving because they are getting higher paid jobs with air nz and the likes or do they know something about the future of JC that jo public doesn't, or alternatively is there poor moral at JC?
Its a morale issue, but I guess you could call it a moral issue as well.

A lot have gone to Pac Blue, walked away from commands, taken a pay cut and have had to shift bases as a result. Loud and clear message there that the JC management just don't seem get. Its a spiraling situation that has almost gone past the critical stage. There are more with interviews as we speak.
With the current pilot shortage you can understand the turboprop operators getting raped and pillaged. A tragic thing really as many of them are good sound operations that pay fairly well. This is mainly because many aspire to fly jets. However the current pilot shortage is also revealing the 'below par' jet operators as people move on to seek better conditions.

Swanrider
29th Sep 2007, 07:45
...arh, so finally the shortage of experienced pilots has made it's way to N.Z.:rolleyes:
Lets see how many years it takes the management :ugh:down there to realise this and that New Zealand 'aint such a bargain place to move to now, on current wages, taxes, GST, Council charges, fuel price... I could go on.
(Do the sums, you'll be amazed)

1279shp
29th Sep 2007, 09:02
Heard "NZTG is to get another carrier", uttered yesterday. Was over beer, but source is impecable!:cool: But then beer based sources often are!:eek:

BTW a 70 seater with 5000hp a side, can't compete with a 70 seater with half the HP. Even if the lower powered one cruises at 2/3rds the rate of the higher!:p

distracted cockroach
30th Sep 2007, 23:17
Quote:"My take on it is this - JC is a good place to be. It's not Air Nz and never will be, but it's got a great bunch of people, good route structure and probably the quickest proggresion the the left seat in the pacific rim. There"s no conditions in the contract ( at all ) but the renumeration is reasonable ( 95 - 100k ) for an f/o including allowances. You get to live in NZ and spend most nights at home. Sure beats the hell out living in Hong Kong, I'd say. Management is on the average side but the signs are there that things are improving. I worked 17 day's last month, not to bad.
anyway, enough said from my fine self, time to sit back and read the howls of indignation that someone dare say something good about this airline"

Ahhh, sounds just like what we used to say about Ansett NZ. Good luck guys, hope it is an expansion and it works out well for you...I really do.

horserun
8th Oct 2007, 19:51
If you had asked me a year, or even two years ago I would have thought that Jetconnect would be replaced by Jetstar.
But judging by this I am obviously wrong!!....

Qantas is to return to free alcohol and food on domestic flights, adding to a major competitive shake-up over the next year.

The move follows a similar decision in August by Air New Zealand to bring back some free in-flight services, and more legroom for those who paid the highest fares.
Australian-owned budget airline Pacific Blue will also start flying domestically next month, targeting the leisure market.
It is understood that Qantas will launch a new brand, Cityflyer, and reintroduce complimentary wines, beers and beverages, as well as an enhanced food service.
Qantas flies on the main trunk routes and to Rotorua and Queenstown. It will also spend $3 million upgrading its domestic club lounges, and add electronic check-in kiosks at airports, which Air New Zealand has had since 2002.
Another aircraft will be added to the fleet of four Boeing 737 jets, which could potentially allow it to reinstate a Wellington to Christchurch link. Qantas pulled off that route in March after its fleet was spread too thin, resulting in lengthy delays when an aircraft needed repairs. House of Travel retail director Brent Thomas said the announcement signalled that Qantas was serious about the New Zealand market and would target the business traveller. Improved lounges, electronic check-in and better in-flight services were all needed to compete with Air New Zealand, he said

#1AHRS
8th Oct 2007, 21:03
Jetconnect will always survive because of the Qantas brand it flies under. Jetstar is another flashy low cost brand that kiwis won't identify with Qantas. However Jetconnect may fly the brand but its also much cheaper. This is easily viewed by their lack of staff retention. But all in all a reasonable place to work, but not forever.