PDA

View Full Version : FliteStar Aircraft Files

LoehnigJ
1st Aug 2000, 20:07
Who can help and provide a 747-400 aircraft file for Jeppesen's flight planner with valid and accurate W/B and Performance data?

Thanks in advance!

Joerg Loehnig
Hamm/Westf., Germany

mailto: [email protected]
or visit my homepage at: http://www.glideslope.de

Whooaahh
2nd Aug 2000, 18:40
Juerg,

Assumtions,
1. As you are providing a service free of charge in support of a commercially available PC application, you obviously have Jeppesen's permission to do so using FliteStar!
2. Again, as you seem to be providing the service free of charge, you would require the performance data free of charge as well...Right??

As someone, probably AeroWinx, is making hard currency from the sale of PS-1, how can you expect a qualified performance engineer to give up his personal time to develop a FliteStar compatible B747-400 performance database when you are obviously not already satisfied with the quality of Jeppesen's own data.

If you were considering suitable renumeration for my efforts, I may be able to assist!!

You know where to find me.

Whooaahh!!!

LoehnigJ
2nd Aug 2000, 19:08
Thanks for your efforts in reading and answering to this message in detail.

If all you can do is offering your help against $$$, sorry, I dared to ask.

It's my hobby and I am doing this for fun.

So, you definately won't do a business with me.

Joerg.

Whooaahh
2nd Aug 2000, 21:06
I fully appreciate you are only doing this as a hobby and I commend you for your actions but, AeroWinx is making good money from their product, so why shouldn't you make something as well considering the time and effort you are putting into supporting them.

I was serious about my "permission from Jepessen" comment. You may find you are breaking their "conditions of use" agreeement and as such they may have cause to issue procedings against you if they have not granted you specific authorisation to publish FliteStar generated and route specific FPL's for free on the public internet. I would certainly have called "foul" if you were doing this using our system.

On a "doing business" perpective, I agree I am in aviation for financial reward and have been for 16 years, but from my companies charter ( we are a non-profit cost-sharing co-operative society...so I'm sure you can work out who pay's my salary now, No??....You do everytime you fly on any airline. ) we would be charging at cost.

It is hardly "doing business", more like providing you with a service for the benefit of the aviation community.

Whooaahh!!!

LoehnigJ
2nd Aug 2000, 23:06
Re: Aerowinx

I can't see the relationship between my f.o.c service and the Aerowinx company's business.

As said before, I am doing this as a flight sim user, who is providing information and tools for like-minded users, not for Aerowinx.

Re: Licenses

I studied again the Software's License Agreement and specially the chapter 'what you may not do'.

As I am generating flight plans with a flight planning software for flight simulator use, and sharing these printed flight plans, not the software, with other flight sim users, I cannot agree with you, here.

What about tutorial documents I generate with a word processing software and publish the printed tutorials on my web site? Am I violating their License Agreements as well?

Thanks for your comments and explanations.

Joerg.

Whooaahh
3rd Aug 2000, 15:27
In the world of competive business, such as my ongoing fight to win sales from Jepessen do you not see the major benefit for me to have free access to Jepessen FliteStar generated FPL's.

An extract from the www.jeppesen.com (http://www.jeppesen.com) website FYI.

Jeppesen content may not be used in any form of publication, public display, advertising, broadcast, legal presentation, or reproduction without the express written consent of Jeppesen, which reserves all rights.

Anyone using Jeppesen content without such consent will be responsible for any liabilities or costs imposed on Jeppesen as a result of any unauthorized use. If you would like to obtain permission to use such content elsewhere, please call Jeppesen at 303-799-9090.
unquote

If this applies to publicly available information on their web site, then you can bet your ass it applies to commercially sensitive information such as the how well FliteStar calculates perfomance and fuel load figures for a B747-400.

You have been warned. JFYI, You are NOT providing the tools and information for other FlightSim users, Jeppesen is!

Whooaahh

[This message has been edited by Whooaahh (edited 03 August 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Whooaahh (edited 03 August 2000).]