PDA

View Full Version : AFTN Connection

2Donkeys
4th Dec 2001, 09:32
Based in the UK, how would I go about
obtaining a private connection to the AFTN.

A trawl of the web reveals many companies that will sell the software to drive my connection, but little inspiration as to where I would get my connection from in the first place.

I assume that the AFTN is still stuck in in the world of Telex or worse, and that an IP connection is a non-starter?

VP8
4th Dec 2001, 11:18
Are you wanting to link fron SITA or Private line??

VEEPS

2Donkeys
4th Dec 2001, 12:39
I was assuming that a direct connetion to AFTN was what I am after, but I don't know what I don't know. The link will primarily be for the processing of FPL messages of one sort and another.

In an ideal world the connection would be via IP (rather than direct interface to telex for example). SITA appears to provide that service, by contrast, I can find nothing online about AFTN connections

fcit
4th Dec 2001, 13:04
Not too sure how that would work in the U.K.. We had a dedicated computer with the software supplied by the German DFS. If you want to use it privately though, you might want to look for a cheaper solution, since this computer and the line wasn`t the cheapest endeavour.

Maybe you want to try your local AIS office.

Cheers
fcit

Daifly
4th Dec 2001, 14:07
For AFTN you need a Telex or Sita connection, which needs a physical line (to form part of the legal confirmation process which Telex serves).

Telex is a dedicated link into the BT private network and costs about £50 a month (I think - I don't have me numbers in front of me).

Sita can be through either a leased line or a dialup connection. Though you have to be a member of Sita - and that means a bank guarantee and a lot of money!!

There are ways of getting around it - such as using Jeppesen to file them through your -pc (www.jetplan.com).

But if you want AFTN, the cheapest is Telex.

FlightPlanMan
4th Dec 2001, 14:26
2Donkeys

If you're flying within ECAC (basically Europe) then you can file everything to Eurocontrol via SITA. Providing your message includes the AFTN addresses of any downroute, non-ECAC states, Eurocontrol will handle any further notification needed. Obviously, in this case, any AMD or REJ messages are responded to via SITA to your originator address.

If you're flying non-ECAC (or sometimes simply returning to ECAC states) you may need to file to the local tower/FIR of the departure airfield via AFTN. Your AFTN options are as follows:

1. Direct AFTN Connection provided by the CAA. This will be a leased line (running at max 9600). They provide/recommend the modem for your end and it can be connected to a PC and/or printer. With this option you'll have to provide some sort of receiving software that the CAA will want to vet.

2. 3rd Party Company provide the connection and software. There are a few of these around such as Copperchase, Stonefield Systems etc. They will provide an apparent AFTN connection but beware it's sometimes actually a telex line they're providing with switching onto the AFTN network.

3. Outbound AFTNs only. Assuming you've got a SITA connection, you can send outbound AFTNs via SITA. This involves sending a SITA message to a SITA/AFTN switch address which presents the message to AFTN for routing. The problem with this idea is that you don't get any incoming messages.

4. Telex. Both incoming and outgoing AFTNs can be routed via telex. Therefore if you've a telex line with appropriate software then it's technically possible to make it work.

I've not heard of an IP based AFTN solution yet but I'm sure it may be around or on the way soon. AFTN is still a necessary comm medium in many parts of the world and if you're flying to those places it really becomes a necessary evil. Also I think if your an operator, all air traffic message are free (but be careful with addresses starting with "H", they'll cost you an arm and a leg).

Hope the above helps....

FPM

VIKING9
4th Dec 2001, 16:22
Talk to NATS at LHR. You first have to obtain an AFTN address before using any method. You can transmit and receive AFTN via a SITA line. Take a look through the AIP for more info.

fcit
5th Dec 2001, 13:06
There is two means to file FPLs using SITA. What you can inside the IFPS Zone has already been described. For flights originating or terminating within the IFPZ you may use the AD line within the ICAO FPL and file everything with IFPS. The big advantage is that all amendments that you make to your FPL with IFPS following your filing will automatically communicated to all downline ATC units (refer to the IFPS Handbook for usage of the AD line). If your flight originates or terminates outside the IFPZ you can use a SITA/AFTN gateway address. There is a bunch of these gateways scattered around the globe. However, for flights outside the IFPZ I would strongly recommend to utilize your local AIS, since there is often need to include special addresses (apart from the usual ZQZX addresses), which only become obvious when you read through the AIP.

Cheers
fcit

Binary
5th Dec 2001, 13:35
It depends on what you mean by private. AFTN capacity is not great and even bona fide operators can find it difficult to get a connection sometimes. I think that CACC at Heathrow are probably the best first contact point but you will need some suitable software to handle the messages. There are a number of companies in the UK as already suggested, I think I would add Bytron to that list (www.bytron.com) they are very experienced in that field.