PDA

View Full Version : CX Shares suspended

Farman Biplane
21st Sep 2007, 07:25
Being a rumour network, any good ones about why CX shares were suspended from trading at 1430HKT today?

Frogman1484
21st Sep 2007, 08:14
Air China is looking or has bought a stake in China Eastern. They have done this to try to remove Singapore Airlines from the deal.

As Cx owns 17% of China Air they have to stop trading...if you look the news has been working in the background for a few days , look at the shares of CX over the last week.

HotDog
21st Sep 2007, 12:37
Frogman; As Cx owns 17% of China Air they have to stop trading...if you look the news has been working in the background for a few days , look at the shares of CX over the last week.
CX does not own 17% of China Airlines , which you refer to as China Air and which is Taiwan's national airline. Air China however, is the mainland carrier in which CX has a 17% stake.

Guava Tree
21st Sep 2007, 12:38
MARKET TALK: Cathay Pacific Halted; Announcement Soon
0645 GMT [Dow Jones] Cathay Pacific (0293.HK) shares suspended from trading,
no reasons given yet. Cathay spokesperson tells Dow Jones that company will
make announcement "soon" but declines to elaborate further. Stock soars 10.7%
to HK$22.70 before suspension, lifted by surging mainland airlines. Fact that
China Eastern Airlines (0670.HK), China Southern Airlines (1055.HK), Air China
(0753.HK) continue to trade may suggest suspension not related to M&As or
cooperation involving these airlines. (RLI)
Contact us in Hong Kong. 852 2802 7002;
[email protected]

ULRequalsSLEEP
21st Sep 2007, 17:20
You are taking the piss, right? If not you just gave Grumpy Old Men a bad reputation....you would have been a real pleasure to fly with....NOT!

HotDog
21st Sep 2007, 23:22
Sorry mate, what's your point? I merely made a slight correction of a mistaken statement.:confused:

Knutsford
22nd Sep 2007, 00:42
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/09/21/bcncathay121.xml

Busbert
22nd Sep 2007, 00:47
The Chine Eastern rumour is gathering momentum:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/09/21/bcncathay121.xml

Some mention was expected in the Friday Telex to quell a weekend of speculation, but I guess it will be at least Monday before anything is confirmed.

Shot Nancy
22nd Sep 2007, 01:40
Hot Dog is correct and merely pointing out an error.
If you are in an Air China aircraft try using a China Airlines callsign in China and see what happens.

DrunkenAir
22nd Sep 2007, 11:20
Shot Nancy

Been there - Done that. Was not helped by fact that tail had a Dragon on it.

DrunkenAir
Cheers (hic)
:}

Glass Half Empty
22nd Sep 2007, 17:22
Was told 6 years ago that Cathay Pacific would become the state owned airline of China within 20 years - well plans seem to be on track so far.

Just remember you heard it here first!!

More shares anyone;)

404 Titan
23rd Sep 2007, 00:38
I don’t think anything large will happen regarding the percentage of shares owned by Swire in CX in the medium term to long term. My guess, and it is only a guess is that Air China and Cathay are going to make a move on China Eastern to block Singapore airlines from buying the 24% stake they quoted recently they were going to aquire.

Mr. Bloggs
23rd Sep 2007, 12:29
I wish I had received tens of thousands of shares at $7.47. Now at over $20.00 that was a hell of a pay rise. :ok:

Now if they can figure a way to keep A Scale after 55 it will benefit the ones that really need it, but that has nothing to do with CX shares being suspended.:(

ACMS
23rd Sep 2007, 12:59
In your opinion which ones really need it, A or B?

I know what I think:(

BusyB
23rd Sep 2007, 14:08
Bloggs,

You do talk a load of old ******s. The shares did not compensate for a 25+% paycut. Can you afford to put 25% of your salary into dubious shares for the next 8 years? They certainly did not appreciate as the DFO used in his calculations.

We're all in the same boat trying to get anything out of CX. Your divisive claptrap only helps the company:ugh:

Dan Winterland
23rd Sep 2007, 15:23
Quote DrunkenAir: 'Been there - Done that. Was not helped by fact that tail had a Dragon on it'.

Me too. ATC just ignore you, but it's a very heavy silence. And it costs you a lot of abuse and beers from/to the other pilot. But when he gets on the PA and welcomes everyone on board the China Airlines flight to ........... :uhoh:

Mr. Bloggs
24th Sep 2007, 00:40
BusyB, Just give me your shares then. :)

At least you got something. Yes I did get something; letters on my P-file and a big fat “Unsuitable for Command” letter.:mad:

If your group didn’t sign the Critical Mass letter so quickly you most likely wouldn’t have a pay cut. You didn’t have to sign but you did out of fear. That is not my problem but yours. You had a contract with the stated pay. You voluntarily signed. Do you really think they would have fired 500 pilots out of 900 back then?:eek:

Next time grow some balls and don’t accept the 25% pay cut. I was fighting for you in 99 and in the end YOU accepted the pay cut. What am I to do, hold your hand?:ugh:

Now go fly the freighter.:E

BTW, we are not in the same boat, most likely you make 40% more than I and have better benefits. If you like we can arrange to go sick again for you.:ok:

Mr. Bloggs
24th Sep 2007, 04:42
Cat B’d because of P-file not Training file. Yes I did sign my contract and No I will not be right behind him, buddie. :ok:

BusyB
24th Sep 2007, 07:41
Bloggs,

I always felt Cat B was a gesture of respect. A lot of us have been there for p files.
Don't understand why you want someones elses shares instead of getting enough money from your emoloyer to buy tyour own. You did of course sign for your pay too.:confused:

Guava Tree
24th Sep 2007, 08:16
Cathay Pacific (293) is going to launch a hostile bid to buy a US$4bn stake in the PRC
airline with the help of Air China (753) and parent China National Aviation Corp.
"Another possibility we believe to be more likely is the idea that Cathay will transfer
10 cargo planes worth HK$10bn in exchange for a 49% stake in an airfreight JV with Air
China - a deal positive for Cathay Pacific and Air China", CLSA's analyst Adrian Lowe said

Glass Half Empty
24th Sep 2007, 09:01
Well I guess we know which aircraft they are. It is just a case of when the classics will go. Sooner rather than later perhaps!!!

ALPHA FLOOR
24th Sep 2007, 16:55
Cabin crew resume normal duties!

The deal is off and SQ have won this round. ARGH!

Midnight Rambler
24th Sep 2007, 21:38
Smacks of a PC-driven deal on which the new order does not want to sign off.

Interesting times........... again.