PDA

View Full Version : Had Enough of Delta Connection Academy?

LowTimeFlyer
21st Sep 2007, 02:39
Has anyone ever tried leaving DCA and getting their money back? I've wanted to take several courses offered there but the school has not got their act together. My instructors who do their best seem overworked with too many students. I've been enrolled in programs that I can't take because they say I'm too big ... two of my friends were also turned away from the course as they too were told they were too big or tall or whatever. The say their working on a solution, but none has been seen by anyone I know. I know there's several of us who want out!
Is there anywhere else that offers training in modern glass cockpit aircraft and upset training in planes that can fly with a 198lb guy?

norton2005
21st Sep 2007, 09:28
I'm 196 pounds and I fly a C152 with an instructor who's 215 pounds so there should be no problems if your in a bigger aircraft.

CLD9AVATR
21st Sep 2007, 11:51
I am a student there as well, and he is not talking about the C-152...he is speaking about the Upset Recovery Spin program they teach. They are using and extra 200, and he is probably to big for that plane...guess what...so am I. I worked my but off in private and was all excited about getting into this class, so I go and see the people in that section and they tell me some BS..."well were really sorry but you won't fit in the plane, we are looking into the problem and working on a solution" That is a crap answer. How about trying this one..."uh we are idiots, got the wrong plane, but advertise the program to everyone anyway even though we know we can't fit everyone in it" Not sure what is the right size, I am only 5'11.5" and weigh in at a scant 210lbs.
I am pretty bitter and only been there a few months, but I have been handed from instructor to instructor to instructor over and over and over.
I may be joining that guy and looking elsewhere...

LowTimeFlyer
21st Sep 2007, 12:29
Exactly Clwd9. It was the so called "upset" course that I paid for but can't take because of both my height and weight. Its not like I'm some sort of fat ass. I'm average but when I sat in the plane they couldn't close the lid. My enrollment class was sold so much BS by these people on how amazing this course would be by the course instructor/manager and that it was part of my curriculum of which I borrowed money towards and have paid for. I was told I'd train in glass cockpit aircraft at some point, just like the jets I'd fly when at the airline. When will that be? When I take the few hour jet transition course ... certainly not during instrument. A few friends flew in the Cirrus and loved the cockpit ... I want as much time in that layout as I can get. I've had five buddies take upset training in the Extra and said it completely changed their outlook and comfort in flying for the better.
The airlines are in a hiring phase that won't last forever. I don't plan on being at DCA very long and just want a) what I was promised, and b) the best training I can get for my money. I know I can pay less elsewhere. Air Orlando has a Cirrus Fleet up and running and upset training in a Decathlon. I'm calling them and Regional today. I don't have time or the money to deal with DCA's shortcomings or problems and BS on these websites. I just want my the training and equipment I bought in to ... and to move on.

Frank Furillo
21st Sep 2007, 12:39
Guys, that excuse sounds very lame to me. I visited Delta when I was a lowly PPL during hour building and obtained my RT licence there.

I am over 6 foot tall and approx 220 lbs (too many sweets and not enough exercise) I have done many spins in a Slingsby 69A firefly with an instructor who was similar build and height to myself, it was a tight fit but okay.
In fact I flew a C150 in the US with a passenger/instructor and we both were a bit big for it but had no problems.
If weight is such a big deal then leave a few gallons of gas out!!!!!!
I am afraid that this smells rotten folks.
FF

LowTimeFlyer
21st Sep 2007, 13:58
It sure does stink FF. A Slingsby for upset/spin training. I wish DCA had thought of that. DCA is sitting on my $3k and I just want the training or to get my money back. I don't know anything about the useful load of the Extra 200 and thats not my call. I did get to sit in it and the canopy would barely close so I'd likely break my neck or put a hole in it if we hit a bump in the road.

I've called around this morning and found Air Orlando offers training in a Decathlon. I also found that RAA (Regional Airline Academy) is getting two new Extra 300's and basing them at Sanford and Deland for upset recovery training. Has anyone else heard this? Is the 300 bigger/better than the 200?

This is just a small part of bigger problems at DCA. I just want a good experience. I study, put in the effort and want to enjoy my training. I'm an adult and a customer. Give me what you sold DCA ... its what I paid for.

CLD9AVATR
21st Sep 2007, 16:25
No offense Frank F., but we are not talking about a few spins, we could do a few spins in a c-172 if that is what they offered. It is also not as simple as leaving some gas behind, it is not a MTOW problem, it is a fit in the cockpit issue. I appreciate your input, but you would actually have to see this to understand, or be familiar with the Extra 200 and how small the front seat is.The problem I have is this, they told me I would be getting this great upset recovery program that consists of 5 hours of flight time, and groundschool. I get called in a few weeks ago to get test fit in the aircraft, and guess what I do not FIT...my head actually hits the canopy, so it can not even close, and when the instructor moved the stick it hit my legs...Now I know I am knew to the pilot thing, but I am sure they could have thought about this before they sold the program or maybe bought the right airplane. I really want this course, I have a friend who is an instructor now and finished the course and said it was awesome...they felt they got a lot from the training. I paid for it, I want it...that simple.

Frank Furillo
22nd Sep 2007, 10:44
and no offense taken, Sorry to hear that you do not even fit in the cockpit, thats a bit rough. For information I did the AOPA Aerobatic Flight Certificate Course, which is a little more than a few spins;)
I have no idea how much room is in the Extra, the Slingsby and I were a very tight fit although i don't think I had any problem with the canopy although I can relate to the stick hitting you leg as I had that happen once or twice.
Oh well I always wanted to have a go in and Extra, they have a bit more poke than a Slingsby (it's only 100bhp)

Crazy Fokker
22nd Sep 2007, 17:16
Sorry to learn of the problems you guys are having. It certainly would appear to be a bit of a duff call on the choice of aircraft really. I hope this get's resolved somehow.

I was actually going to be paying a visit to DCA sometime this fall, problem is I'm only in the States for a week, and this would be a 500 mile round trip roughly....and now with the stuff I'm hearing/have heard about DCA, I'm wondering if there's anypoint at all...plus the guy in contact with me keeps getting my name wrong, and it's in the actual email address LOL

Would you say DCA is worth me visiting, bearing in mind the journey I'd have to do etc....I will be stayingin Miami.

Thanks.:ok:

LostAndFound
22nd Sep 2007, 17:48
Would you say DCA is worth me visiting, bearing in mind the journey I'd have to do etc....I will be stayingin Miami.

flight safety in vero beach is worth visiting if you will be staying in miami:ok:

Crazy Fokker
22nd Sep 2007, 18:16
Hey thanks, I'll check the place out....would be awesome to have a little hour's lesson while I'm there too....:):ok: