PDA

View Full Version : Iceland Air comment and Question

amf1966
20th Sep 2007, 19:43
I flew Iceland Air LHR-KEF return in August as SLF, and I'd like to say what a pleasure and ask a couple of questions.

For reference it was FI451 on 25-Aug LHR-KEF and FI454 on 29-Aug KEF-LHR.

First time with Iceland Air, and it reminded me a little of "the old days". Excellent service that wasn't just "what I have to do", plesent polite staff and a wonderfully executed flight.

Before the flame-throwers start up - bear the following in mind. I have flown some 200+ commercial flights on many of the "big" airlines (don't do lo-co), have followed aviation for 30 years, and have flown planes a little for fun. I also have a maths degree with many hours spent studying fluid dynamics, worked for BAE for a while etc - and I am not saying other airlines aren't any of the above, it just struck me that Iceland Air gave more than I was accustomed to.

My questions:
1) Are Iceland Air considered "good payers", Good employers - is this why the staff are a little more relaxed and customer oriented? Have less on their minds? Are treated respectfully by their company?

2) What are SOPs regarding AP as aposed to manual flying.

Reason for question two, is that my (uninformed) opinion from sitting "out back" is that I believe much of the flying to have been manual and to a VERY high standard indeed - my justification, there was just too much finesse and smoothness about the climb and turn plus approach and landing - it was fantastic to experience. Or do SOPs not enter into it, and the pilots those days decided to fly much of the initial and landing phases manually?

Again, bear in mind I've flown in B757s all over the place with at least 11 other airlines (BA, UAL, A2000.....) and the smoothness and shear accuracy un-fussiness has never struck me quick so much before.

So, maybe I'm talking complete cr*p, but the fact remains, this was a blast from the past for me, feeling just a little special and enjoying a flight as I haven't in years.

Whatever the answers to the above, even assuming I get any, I want to say "takk fyrir" (thank you) and bless (good bye)!!!! (tried to learn a few phrases on my holiday with the family).

Great stuff you guys, keep it up!

FlyerFoto
20th Sep 2007, 20:20
I get the impression they are also pretty good on time-keeping too, from what I've heard from one or two others who've flown with them.

http://paulcoulthread.fotopic.net/p43487078.html

amf1966
20th Sep 2007, 20:42
Well, peversely, my outbound was delayed. But it really mattered, it would seem.

We were all on-board, belted in etc, ready to go ahead of schedule, then "we're going to be delayed due to congestion...." - well it was Heathrow!

Thing was, there was periodic announcements from the flightdeck, not over the top, just nicely timed, giving updates and latest estimates - really professional and customer focussed.

As you can tell, I'm impressed, and that doesn't happen too often.

Even prior to "cabin crew, seats for take off please" we were told "ok we're now 3rd in line and will be on our way very soon - we have favourable winds and will make every effort....."

Yeah, darn good.

oceancrosser
20th Sep 2007, 20:44
Paul wrote:
My questions:
1) Are Iceland Air considered "good payers", Good employers - is this why the staff are a little more relaxed and customer oriented? Have less on their minds? Are treated respectfully by their company?

2) What are SOPs regarding AP as aposed to manual flying.

Re question no 1, they pay moderately well, not near the top, but well away from the bottom.
Being good employers... they used to be. Management style is growing more greedy and less people oriented every year. Respect... gone I think. Unfortunately. :}

Manual flying is encouraged where workload allows, such as into KEF in favourable weather. Still. :D

Thanks for nice comments.

NudgingSteel
20th Sep 2007, 21:37
Some years back I did a fam flight with them up to KEF. Have to say, they were excellent - very friendly and interesting crew, took lots of time to explain things to me - both technical, and about their country. Very young looking F/O under training in the RHS who really knew his stuff!

Plus, and I'm sure this is of no relevance whatsoever, the CC member dealing with the flight deck was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life, which just added to the whole day!!:ok:

Rainboe
21st Sep 2007, 10:40
Steady on young man! She still gets horrendous PMT, nags and can't think in reverse. Come back to your senses!

(Phew!- Nearly lost another one there!)