PDA

View Full Version : Search Function

littco
20th Sep 2007, 19:04
No Idea where to post this but it seems like a good place here.

How the hell are you supposed to search for an item using the Search function when it only has 3 letters! My point in question is CTC, it returns saying it has to be more than 4 letters! Am I doing something wrong or do I need to get CTC to change their name so I can use the search function on Pprune. :confused:

I guess that all CTC posts are merged together anyway, but I was thinking more along the lines of posts with items like VFR, VMC, IR, IMC, ADF, NDB, etc need to be searched.. And as aviation is famous for its use of abbreviations just seems a bit odd.

scroggs
21st Sep 2007, 07:44
Simple: search uses an enormous amount of system resources at the server end. Pprune cannot afford to provide unlimited-power servers, so something has to give. In this case, it is the limitation that searches have to be words of four letters or more (not 'more than four letters').

You can usually get around the limitation ny some lateral thinking. For instance, CTC's courses are known as 'wings' courses. Search for 'wings' and see what turns up.

Alternatively, use Google's 'advanced search' option, search for 'CTC' and limit your search to www.pprune.org. Easy - and you get all the archive stuff as well.

Scroggs

littco
21st Sep 2007, 07:57
Thanks Scroggs. I did end up using Google, Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something glaringly obvious or a nifty trick to use it.