PDA

View Full Version : BALPA or IPA?

Crosswind Limits
20th Sep 2007, 10:59
Hi

Does anyone have any opinions as to which of these organisations might be better suited to a biz jet pilot? I know nothing about the IPA but was an instructor/pilot member of BALPA.

Cheers!

HS125
20th Sep 2007, 15:16
I know nothing of IPA either Im afraid. I have a similar background with BALPA.

I joined originally to help to lobby the CAA over the poor implimentation of JAR-FCL but since found them very usefull during the dark days after 9/11. Maggie Pecnik has always done excellent work with the employment opportunities conference.

I think their main thrust however is the airlines (as the name suggests) but Ive also heard the organisation refered to colloquialy as the British Airways Pilots Association.

As a corporate (and even a freelance) pilot I think this/these organisations have some worth e.g from the legal advice and protection point of view. But in the corporate/executive world, I think word of mouth As for pay and conditions..... If they wont play the game get vocal. There are enough nice people in the business not to work for :mad:s. And if sensible guys and galls are being treated like dirt, then soon enough those organisations will have serious recruitment problems and will have to think again.

Seriously, the market is very bouyant at the moment, If you have even some experience (which you do) and cant negotiate a position with reasonable pay and conditions now you never will and I know you can

(Sorry for any typos: Im using a contenental keyboard Im not used to)