PDA

View Full Version : Recent CX interview feedback assistance

kishna
20th Sep 2007, 09:14
I have an initial interview with CX (DEFO) coming up soon. Does anyone have any recent interview feedback - new questions, question styling etc.
Any help would be appreciated

LandLong
29th Nov 2007, 09:11
Went to an interview in Syd this month. Questions were all the same as in other posts, Captain XYZ etc.
Good Luck!!

sicilian
29th Nov 2007, 10:46
Hi LandLong,

Did you go for an SO or FO interview? Have mine next week in SYD and just trying to get some last minute goss.

Cheers and all the best.

flyboy007
29th Nov 2007, 16:17
Just done second interview for DEFO. As briefed, Capts XYZ. First interview =Some TCAS stuff, some V speed definitions, EGPWS basic principal, definition of service ceiling,
Very relaxed environment from, the minute I walked through the door. I was led into a quiet room to do a 30question multi guess tech quizz initially.From what I remember:
1. If EAS reduces what happens to induced drag?
2. What is EAS? eg a)tas corrected for density b)CAS corrected for.... etc
3. How do you reduce tendency to dutch roll? eg Larger fin etc
4.where are the meridians furtherest apart? euqator
5. shortest distance between two points? Great Circ
6. at higher speeds does total drag increase or decrease?
7. what happens in a venturi? eg air pressure decreases and kinetic energy increases.
8. a stable aircraft will....a)on being upset return to it equilibrium etc.
Interview again very chilled with 2 guys.
First was questions about myself etc. Career to date/why Cathay/why leaving current job?/have I applied to anyone else?/What happens if they offer something at same time as Cx?/Why is Cx so profitable? Is it profitable? How much profit last year?/ How did they do during SARS etc?/Why? When was it formed? what orders? which type on order?(777-300er) Where might they utilise these 777-300ers? (I said poss Hong Kong to East Coast USA)
Tech side of things was nothing too major.
A bit about my own aeroplane type.(including how many and what type are the fire extinugishers in the flightdeck/passenger cabin?) Limits/TO and Landing Mass/aircraft ceiling/
De rate TO? Why? When? (eg VMC limited to increase TO Mass)
Stab tanks in 744/airbus? Why? What other things change with CG shift? eg VMCA increases as CG moves aft..why? Stall speed decreases, why? longitudinal stability reduced.
Why rolls royce engines? Differences between twin spool and triple spool (RB211)?
typhoon formation. where? eg 5-15ish degrees latitude. taf decodes. what does 'rapid' mean in a taf?
Any other Qs send me a note. Sorry that's about all I remember at the mo. Rest assured though, it was a very relaxed experience regardless of what others may have posted on here. Very very chilled.
Good luck, all the best
PM for further if I can remember anything else.
All the best

Ah, remembered some more:
I didn't get asked too much detail about living in HK etc. Maybe they save this for the second?? They asked for instance, how Cathay was able to do well during the SARS era? Answer in short is huuuuuuggge cash reserves due to very conservative and savvy Swire group leadership. Also I believe Cathay pffered something like 10000 free seats to the region during the SARS crisis t keep people traveling there. Study a little up on Swire Group. Origins etc.
Profit for last year was ??(I think about 4.5billion HK from a turnover of 60B, but check the Cathay website as it's been a couple of weeks since I looked!). I didn't get asked what I used to study up I don't think, however I'm sure I will and intend to answer completely honestly. They know the materials that are available and at least it shows resourcefullness on your part.
Did get asked where they carry out the BCF (Boeing Converted Freighter) to convert pax 744 to cargo 744. I didn't know but apparently it's somewhere in China. Again, their website probably has the info. For info, only the pax fleet 744s have operational stab tanks, albeit the converted frieghters do too however it's disconnected.

Blogsey
29th Nov 2007, 21:42
Did get asked where they carry out the BCF (Boeing Converted Freighter) to convert pax 744 to cargo 744. I didn't know but apparently it's somewhere in China.
BCF's converted in Xiamen unless I am mistaken.

TheDrop
30th Nov 2007, 17:48
Xiamen is what I said in my interview, and they seemed to like that. All this studying and memorizing - amazing that I could remember something like that. Maybe because xiamen is also a CX destination :ugh: