PDA

View Full Version : Defect Rate on A320

Bava
19th Sep 2007, 22:11
Can anybody tell me what is the defect rate on an A320 aircraft?

Or does anybody know of a reference that compares defect rates amongst aircraft types?

Thank you.
Bava.

Wodrick
19th Sep 2007, 22:16
What do you mean by defect rate ?

Bava
19th Sep 2007, 22:18
I mean how many defects get logged in the techlog per hour, or per 1,000 hours.

Is there a better term for that?

theavionicsbloke
19th Sep 2007, 22:45
MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) is the correct technical term.

stankou
20th Sep 2007, 03:45
Hi,

It's very hard to have that kind of data because most of companies dislike to reveal them. The technicals departments of the liners compute differents reliability ratio:
The main ratio is punctuality means quantity of scheduled flights minus the delayed flights due to an technical event (per day or week or month)
The second ratio is the reliability of the fleet means scheduled flights minus canceled flights due to a technical event.
These two main calculations are requested by the authorities.
However, depending of the policy of the company, you can have a calculation per type of aircraft, per ATA, per ATA & subATA, and the MTBF per flight hour, per cycle per check interval, depending what you are looking for.
I hope my explanations are clear enough for you and I apologize for my english skill.:\

Bava
20th Sep 2007, 09:20
I'm not actually concerned with the dispatch reliability because often you would have a defect that wouldn't affect the dispatch of the aircraft because it could be deferred.

What I would like to know, on average, how many defects get logged per day on an A320?

Mr.Brown
20th Sep 2007, 15:22
In a lot of cases the defect rate is directly proportional to the age of the aircraft. An old A320 will probably have more defects than a new one although that is not always the case.
Alot of factors have to considered:
-Is the aircraft new?
-Was the aircraft in storage for any period of time?
-Aircraft's maintenance history?
-Is the aircraft used on short high frequency routes?
etc etc.

jettison valve
23rd Sep 2007, 09:11
Bava,

The two parameters that would bring you closest would be the PIREP and MAREP rates (PIlot REPort and MAintenance REPort). From those, you need to manually deduce the routine reports like "remaining fuel after r/u" etc, which are not driven by actual faults.

Another way: I suppose Airman will give the data you are looking for very easily... (including nuissance messages, though :\).

In terms of sharing data, the airlines and Airbus have started some programmes. Have a look at:
http://www.airbus.com/store/mm_repository/pdf/att00010361/media_object_file_fast_39_p27_34_maint_cost_pdf.pdf

IŽll have a look tomorrow at our A320s...

Cheers,
J.V.