PDA

View Full Version : Quetsions asked on CPL skills test.

bobster1
19th Sep 2007, 16:52
Hello to all who have been and done it, hoping to have CPL skills test next week, have been looking through the Air Law book:{ etc to gen up on license privilages, airspace, VFR flight rules that sort of stuff, as well as all the aircraft info, systems etc
Looking for a bit of feedback as to what to expect really, what sort of questions have been asked and how many, Im just trying to build up a general picture and an agenda in my mind as to how the whole thing will go.

Tried a search but it wont let me search for CPL and doesnt like the word on either :*

Thanks in advance..

horsebox
19th Sep 2007, 17:13
Most questions I got were related to the performance and M&B calcs before we got in the aircraft, nothing sneaky, just basic stuff to make sure I had some idea about what I was doing.

Where are you doing your test? Do you know which examiner it is?

Some will ask all sorts of things, others are happy to get on with the test without the small talk..

One piece of advice is not to bluff if you don't know. If you don't know - tell him where you might find the answer - it might get you off the hook.

bobster1
19th Sep 2007, 17:24
Cheers, test will be out of Halfpenny Green, the examiners used there are from Bristol, so could be choice from a few I think.

Callsign Kilo
19th Sep 2007, 18:05
Certainly M&B questions will come up along with those centred around the tech log, insurance certificate, acceptable defered defects and MEL. Well they did on mine.

I also got asked about speeds and asked when I would elect to fly a departure at Vx and a definition for Vy.

Some other questions about passenger comfort i.e flying at a higher level when there is turbulance and the safety brief came up (ie it is a legal requirement, so remember to provide one).

Nothing nasty and I've never known of too many nasty questions being asked. So don't fret too much

Goodluck :ok:

expedite08
19th Sep 2007, 21:05
Jessie05

What sort of problems have you been having on the cpl test? Are there any nasty tricks the pull ?? :ok:

pipergirl
19th Sep 2007, 21:11
As far as I can remember, I was asked about the M+B calculations, the route, what altitude I was going to fly at and why.
I was asked about general bits n bobs about the aircraft...how much fuel does it carry? fuel burn? what certain things on the aircraft were for e.g stall strips, aerials etc..

Can't remember anything especially strange that stands out at all.

Best of luck with the test :ok:

GgW
20th Sep 2007, 10:03
Do i think they are all testing to a uniform standard? Absolutely not. They allow some people significant mistakes

I agree with you 100% on that statement. On my cpl test the question's where 1.) anything in the notam's that wil affect us 2.) What is the Vx for the plane we are flying today. 3) He had a look at the performance graph's and wanted to know if we can make all the take off's and landing's.

With the Ir test I could not answer a very silly little question and was told to go and get the answer, so luckily for me a instructor was nearby and help me.

Savage_UK
20th Sep 2007, 10:53
Having just sat 2 CPL tests recently (failed the first, passed the second...phew), I think I managed to pick up a few of the old tricks. Managed to sail through the majority of the oral test of both with relative amount ease, except for one or two odd questions which had the opposite effect, undoing all my good work and immediately making me out to be a chump.

Agree totally with the previous posts: if you don't know the answer hold your hands up, say you're not sure and look it up in the flight manual or somewhere (and know where everything in there is too). As the saying goes: "better to keep your mouth shut and look a fool than to open it and remove all doubt". I had a few questions such as "what is the psi of the tyres?" and "if I was x feet over this town, would be be able to glide to x airfield?". Pedantic yes, but think it's just to show you know where you can look these things up if required.

As for the rest, the kind of things that initially threw me were the questions that were worded in such a way that the answer wasn't immediately obvious:

ie. You're flying in some moderate turbulence. A climb or descent is not available to you. What speed should you be flying at? Cue me reeling off every bullsh*t answer in the book except the one he wanted. ("Below Va" was what he was after).

The rest of the questions really related to air law, particuarly met minima and thing like carriage dangerous goods, operations over water etc. Oh, and alternate fuel/oil grades usually comes up. I was always advised here to give the legal answer and the practical answer (if your oil was REALLY that low would you want to be putting a different grade in instead of calling someone out with the correct grade?)

best of luck

neilia
20th Sep 2007, 12:51
I think the questions I got were all basic airspace questions pointing at the chart: what height can you fly here?; what would you do if you were approaching this bit of controlled airspace at such-and-such a height?; what does this symbol mean?

bobster1
20th Sep 2007, 16:04
Thanks everyone for the pointers, I guess a weekend with the head in the books is order.
From all your experiances it sounds like just about anything can be asked, tyre PSI, really? Of all the really important things applicable to the flight and you got asked this!!
Thanks again, all the info helps.:ok:

neilia
20th Sep 2007, 16:59
Good luck! I don't think you'd fail on the questions alone, but good to have a basic idea of what you're talking about, or know where to find the answers - be familiar with what's in the a/c manual, without necessarily learning it all in detail. Your school also probably has an idea of favourite questions from particular examiners, and I'd have thought you'd know specifically who the examiner is by now if you're testing next week?

Jessie05, where have you been training/testing and do you have plans to retest?

bobster1
6th Oct 2007, 09:00
Well after all the worry....lets see your license, log book tech log and m+b sheet..what speeds are you flying at on approach and finals..what would you do if you went IMC by mistake...
OK thats all fine, Right, lets go...
A couple of general questions when airborne, but mostly general chit chat.
Quite pleasant really, although I could not disguise the sweaty palms and tense feeling..

And that was it..
Wasnt pretty but it was a pass!:ok:

EpsilonVaz
6th Oct 2007, 11:21
Congratulations bobster1! Great to hear things are going well :ok: