PDA

View Full Version : Change in staff travel upgrade policy

ACMS
19th Sep 2007, 14:21
Well it's about damn time:
Reinstatement and Upgrading Policy
A review was carried out recently of CX’s policy for reinstating or upgrading passengers of all types, with inputs from Revenue, Airports, Cathay Loyalty Programmes & Personnel and endorsement from the senior management team.
As a result of the review, a revised, more streamlined policy has been put in place.
The review re-emphasised four key principles to ensure that we provided sensible and appropriate services to all of our passengers – including our staff travellers.
The key principles agreed are as follows:
Booked passengers should travel in their ticketed class where possible
Downgrading should be minimised
Passengers who are waitlisted in their ticketed class should be reinstated ahead of those buying upgrades using cash or Asia Miles
The scheme should be clear and consistent so it can be delivered in a clear and consistent manner by our Airport teams.
Staff travellers should be aware that their priority for acceptance has not changed. However, with this new policy, staff traveller’s chances of being involuntarily upgraded will be improved therefore it is a pre-requisite that staff meet all of the conditions for ID travel before they are considered for upgrading.
In particular please note the dress code will be enforced at the airport at the time of check-in/registration and our airport team will have the final say on what is or is not acceptable dress. If the standard dress is inappropriate for first and business class travel, staff will not be offered the privilege of upgrading.
We appreciate your co-operation with these arrangements and ask you to ensure that your nominees are aware of the changes.
Bob Nipperess
PM O& ES
18th September 2007

badairsucker
19th Sep 2007, 15:57
OK, so I rock up and I am listed in J class, but it is full, Y class has some seats and so does first class. Do they put me in Y class or first?

Busbert
19th Sep 2007, 16:13
I think in practice they would perhaps upgrade someone from J to F and slip you into J.
That way:
They get all your J fare (i.e. no refund for downgrade to Y), and they get a highroller J pax to experience F service and fly with CX in the future!

But back on planet earth, you would probably be busted into Y and F would be left with space avail!

Westcoastcapt
19th Sep 2007, 18:18
Actually, it makes perfect sense. If Y is oversold, CX is becoming more reluctant to upgrade Y pax who have paid the cheaper fares. It tends to downplay the C class product and makes the legitimate C and F pax angry. Therefore, as staff, if you are carrying the proper ID ticket and are dressed appropriately, you have a better chance of getting a seat in C class, or perhaps even F.
Don't read more into this than there really is. No, the sky isn't always falling.

Regards.

BMM389EC
20th Sep 2007, 01:00
So I turn up with J class and get upped to F class. What do I pay-J or F??

badairsucker
20th Sep 2007, 01:03
If they upgrade you, it's at no cost to yourself. Dare I say it's a free upgrade.

jtr
20th Sep 2007, 01:40
When this whole system was introduced with e-ticketing etc, one of the FAQ's Tony T'lier came out with was that they had the option of creating the software that would

A: Not billing you if you are bumped up a class carrying a lower class ticket, but also not billing you for a lower class if you were bumped down

or

B: Billing you for the class you flew in regardless of the ticket you presented

Tony (obviously looking after our best interest) said they chose option B

Number of times traveled on CX subload - Hundreds

Number of times bumped down to EY, J Seat, Crew Seat with a J/F ticket - Tens

Number of times bumped up a class - Zero

Having CX look out for staff - Priceless

Fenwicksgirl
20th Sep 2007, 01:45
As the term involintary is meant to mean, they up-grade you at their cost.
Cant wait for the check in staff at HKIA to apply this....yeah right...
By the way, our tickets have always been upgradable, involuntarily...however, you were more likely to end up in Y rather than F as was the intention. Some people even carried around the section from Vol 1 that showed this, never really helped them much though!!!

ACMS
20th Sep 2007, 04:03
I agree with all the above posts.

But one of our biggest problems has been the last minute upgrading of Y pax either paying cash at the check-in or using frequent flyer points. So if the flight showed 6 empty seats in J class 99% of the time you still got bumped down to Y.
This should stop that occurring don't you think? If you believe the letter it should not happen.

As to weather we get UPGRADED to F class? well? mmmm time will tell.

I think this is an improvement.

Don't you guys?

dragon501
20th Sep 2007, 08:03
Slightly off topic but... Can you CX boys and (Fenwicks-) girls get J class tickets on KA?

Us lot (the poor KA drivers) can not get the J class priveledges you guys have...

Just thought Id ask cos sitting stuffed down the back with 6'4" for 13 hours going home sometimes isn't my favourite thing..

Ta

Millstream
20th Sep 2007, 18:24
Couple of weeks ago, friend of mine was upgraded J to FCL, no extra cost.
This was going to Europe and happened at the CLK staff desk. :D

He nearly had a heart attack.

I believe this is a genuine improvement. How often it will be used, who knows. Apparently frequent flyers will still have priority, but still better than any old pax being ahead in the upgrade queue.

Milly

LapSap
20th Sep 2007, 21:43
one of our biggest problems has been the last minute upgrading of Y pax either paying cash

but still better than any old pax being ahead in the upgrade queue.

Sheeeesh!
Some of you guys have forgotten who's paying your wages and "generous" housing allowance. Get a grip.

Mr. Bloggs
21st Sep 2007, 00:43
Ya Think??? Think about who you are talking about!

In the past, your Free of Charge tickets( which by the way cost a $1000) were a higher priority than Asia Miles Upgrade, now if there is an Asia Miles upgrade you are behind them. If it is the last seat, it's in EY for you.

Think about it, would CX help an employee? You been here long enough to know better.:ugh:

ChairmanBoysClub
22nd Sep 2007, 07:16
LapSad,

Go sit in Y and say like a squeezed monkey :{ and dont forget to buy some peanuts on the way to the plane :ok:

ACMS
22nd Sep 2007, 09:38
LAPSAP.........second half of your name says it all.

You are either Management or just a naive fool.

Staff travel happens to be a huge part of our COS and if it didn't exist 99% of us wouldn't bother to come to this smoggy bog in the first place, remember Cx have to offer this to make us want to come.

Same goes for the other EXPAT allowances.

So back into your box sonny boy.

Oh and a payrise is well overdue too, I guess you think we are overpaid.

Numero Crunchero
23rd Sep 2007, 04:19
The big problem here is when benefits are whittled away. If you are given nothing you expect nothing. But CX has gradually and systematically degraded staff travel as a benefit.

When you become an expat CN you get a Pri4B FOC (that you pay for). In fact this FOC is a Pri4Y upgradeable to B as I found out last year. When I gave up my Pri4F FOC of the old travel scheme, no one told me that the new 'improved' travel scheme FOC was 'upgradeable' not guaranteed!

My housing here is inferior to what I could live in back in Australia. So how is the current housing allowance 'generous'? When I applied I was promised housing equivalent to what I could enjoy at home. Do you think it changes my 'experience' here whether it costs $39K(when I joined) or $70K+ that it costs now? How does it benefit me as a renter?

Many airlines guarantee at least one ticket a year for expats and mostly in first class (for CNs anyway). CX guarantees you EY, but upgradeable to C. That policy is indicative of their whole staff travel policy. Staff travel is seen almost as a curse on them, not a benefit to us.

So I think it is fair to vent and complain on one of our only 'benefits'. Does anyone here get excited at the thought of staff travel? All I know is that you can check FSS 4hours before your flight and see 10 spare seats in F/J that suddenly become full when you are at the airport! Somehow I don't think they are go-shows!

The Management
23rd Sep 2007, 04:41
My “Travel Fund” (over $100,000 per year) takes care of all my needs to go home once per year in First Class. I also receive a Priority 4 Business Class FOC ticket once per year.

Much better than a new hire which receives a Priority 4 Economy Class ticket and no travel fund?

If I don’t buy a full fare in First Class for that year, my travel fund pays for all my Cathay tickets.

Makes the whole trip bearable when I arrive home to drive my Bentley, the green one not the red one, the red one is for Sundays.

The Management

ACMS
23rd Sep 2007, 06:12
Hey look who's slithered in here again.

It's the Management snake, he must be an A scaler with that sort of travel fund.

Now slither off.

ChairmanBoysClub
23rd Sep 2007, 06:26
The management is my all time Pprune hero:D

missingblade
23rd Sep 2007, 08:22
Management is a prophet of reality. A beacon of reason. An expressor of truth. A conveyor of insight. An explanator of corporate policy.

His words do more to 'inspire' us than any other clown out here. I vote for him as president of the AOA, golf club and yacht club and would like him to be the captain on my next flight.