PDA

View Full Version : UV Filter in glasses?

Jump Complete
19th Sep 2007, 13:42
I am just about to go and get an new set of glasses as required in my class one medical. I already have an old, servicable but completely rubbish looking set of plain glasses in the right subscription which are in a bomb-proof case for the 'spare pair' for flying. Therefore I am going to buy a pair of plain glasses and a pair of subsciption sunglasses. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get a UV filter in the plain pair?(The sunglasses come with it automatically)
One reason I'm wondering was, during the winter when it isn't bright enough to be wearing sunglasses (ie, when not above the weather) would permantly wearing glasses with UV filters stop ones brain getting that critical dose of sunlight that you need mid-winter to stop feeling horrible and knackered.

Blues&twos
21st Sep 2007, 22:21
Shouldn't be a problem. The disorder you describe (SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder I think) isn't related to the amount of UV light entering the eye. It is related to the intensity of visible light entering the eye, so no problem filtering out harmful & invisible UV (esp. UVB).

Something to do with levels of neurotransmitters and all that....if my memory serves me well....

Jump Complete
26th Sep 2007, 14:02
Thanks, Blues&twos. Just ordered the glasses and the optitian said much the same thing. I also shelled out for the anti-reflection coating as I thought it might make the diference when tired at night, particually as I will shortly be flying an EFIS aircraft.
P.S. I meant of course perscription sunglasses, not subscription sunglasses in my first post!