PDA

View Full Version : Getting an ACK from IFPS, is it getting harder?

Pan
30th Oct 2001, 04:19
Over the last few months I have found that the changes in Europe's airways system have made getting a flight plan ACK'd more and more difficult. I know that using a certain flight planning software package doesn't help too much but when you call the IFPS help desk having spent hours folding, unfolding charts and they give up something must be wrong! You may have exceeded your SID/STAR limit, or you're not SRS compliant or the airway is unavailable FL245-999 or FL000-245! Even some of the help desk staff seem to bemused to how difficult it is to get anything ACK'd. You tend to find your aircraft held down or rerouting around half of Europe and it's no good being told by IFPS that when it gets airbourne you'll probably get more direct routings or higher levels you still need to cart around that extra fuel just in case! Am I the only person experiencing these problems at present? Have they got my card marked!

vincecrosbie
30th Oct 2001, 06:42
Nice to know we're not the only ones!!! - We've been finding the same problems. depending on who's on shift in IFPS, we've found that putting "re-route by IFPS accepted" in field 18 makes a big difference - to the point we just leave it there as standard, now we always get ACK msgs - well, so far so good anyway!!!

vincecrosbie
30th Oct 2001, 06:53
... meant to say, the "certain flight planning software" is, I agree hopeless in Europe for producing a decent acceptable route - but we've been flying down into West Africa into all sorts of weird and wonderful places, and it has to be said this system is perfect - not one problem whatsoever, and now we'd be lost without it. Not a great help if you only fly in Europe mind you!!!

Daifly
30th Oct 2001, 16:55
Within Europe I'm convinced it's getting more difficult, and is hampered by the Flight Planning Software not being able to pick up on CDR's and not seeming to understand one way airways...!

Outside of Europe it's far easier.

We have access to the IFPS internet application, which is great if you keep getting REJ's - you can look up the ACK'd route for something on a similar path and copy it.

All operators can get the access - see their website www.eurocontrol.be. (http://www.eurocontrol.be.)

GroupWatcher
30th Oct 2001, 21:39
Howdy cov,

not too many operators in EHRD. Is the aircraft operating in West Africa European built?

Cheers
GroupWatcher

vincecrosbie
30th Oct 2001, 23:37
Hi Groupwatcher,

Yep - European built, just started the African routes 3 weeks ago, before that it was all integrator stuff within Europe...

IFollowRoads
31st Oct 2001, 02:42
you might find the following link handy:
http://www.cfmu.eurocontrol.be/chmi_public/ciahome.jsp

you can put in your flight plan and it verifies if it will be accepted (without the slot checking unfortunately!)

GroupWatcher
31st Oct 2001, 12:10
cov,

guess we are working for the same company at different locations. Still have training documents for this "flight planning system" you are referring to. So if you want to have a copy let me know.

Though I was primarily working on Onsight before, I guess I can handle JAS O.K.. Are you using interactive mode or the windows shell? I sometimes find interactive better suited, since it appears that it does get you somewhere :)

Cheers
GroupWatcher

vincecrosbie
1st Nov 2001, 00:56
Groupwatcher,

I tend to use the interactive a lot more, but set up trip folders for most of the guys in the windows shell, as I haven't quite been able to find the time yet to run the complete training course... The notes you're talking about - those for PPS or JAS? - PPS would come in handy as I don't have any, JAS i"m okay with, done the instructors course last year...

vincecrosbie
1st Nov 2001, 01:03
Groupwatcher,

.. I take it you're in EDDK then?

GroupWatcher
1st Nov 2001, 16:03
The notes are about JAS. As for PPS, I do not have notes, though I think it's pretty easy to for flight planning (just the database entries are a little hard to achieve something.

No, not EDDK, LFSB.

Cheers
Sascha :D

Jim Cohen
1st Nov 2001, 20:29
What a ridiculos topic!

Your a fool if you think you can start to understand all the regulations concerning each country under the IFPS.

Lets be Serious. Anyone filing through France/Germany can expect to wait for an ACK.
Has anyone actually read the routing restrictions for Germany?

Good luck! :)

GroupWatcher
2nd Nov 2001, 14:40
EarWax,

what message are you refering to as "ridiculous" and foolish? Just wondering. Before calling somebody names in your first post ever, you should start supplying arguments rather than insults. I agree that the RAD isn`t easy to understand and that it is sometimes tricky to receive and ACK straight away.

As for my part, yes, I have been reading/using the "DFS Standart Routes" and I also tend to look up this and that in an AIP (this is part of my job). So, I don`t really see your point there. If this is about mine and cov`s discussion reference the flight planning system, let me answer you this way.

A flight planning system (no matter which) is only as good as the OPS officer that is using it. If you are just relying on the routes stored in your system, you`ll be falling on your nose sooner than you think. If it would just be pushing the button, the Dispatcher job could be performed by trained monkeys.

Cheers
GroupWatcher