PDA

View Full Version : pc auto shutdown

stalling attitude
19th Sep 2007, 09:31
Just wondered if any of you intelligent people out there can offer any advice before i take it to a shop.
My pc has XP and has recently begun to shut itself down. the time before it first shuts down does vary but after that when you restart it it will shutdown again after a couple of minutes. To me this indicates a possible overheating situation, do pc's have a thermal cutout built in? The fan is working.

Thanks

tony draper
19th Sep 2007, 09:46
Could be, depending on what Bios you have you can adjust the shutdown temperature in HWM (Hardware monitor) not sure if that's a good idea though.
Had mine shut down a few times since I installed a beast of a graphic card even though said card has its own fan,the corner the puter is in does not get much air plus it had a hundred watt desk light beside it,easy remedied I just removed the side of the case.
:rolleyes:

ORAC
19th Sep 2007, 11:31
do pc's have a thermal cutout Most motherboards have at least 1, if not 2 or 3 heat sensors soldered to the motherboard. The CPU sensor will be in the cutout in the middle of the CPU socket. Some also allow the temperature to be monitored and the cut out temperature to be adjusted by a supplied GUI utility.

Mini fan
19th Sep 2007, 11:35
Does sound like overheating, and if it's started happening recently, it's probably a build up of dust etc in the case. Check the temp on the BIOS and if it's running hot try cleaning out the case.

stalling attitude
19th Sep 2007, 13:00
thanks folks. i took the case off and the inside was furrier than my grans top lip so hopefully i have solved it. thanks for the info

Saab Dastard
19th Sep 2007, 14:09
furrier than my grans top lip

Thank goodness you said "top lip" - I was seriously worried for a moment!

I hope your problems are done and "dusted"!!

SD