PDA

View Full Version : SIC (Second in command) question

long final
19th Sep 2007, 09:24
I am researching the FAA SIC type-rating scheme. Is anyone able to explain the process simply? I would be looking to fly an N registered aircraft within the UK, Europe, Asia and Africa (possibly some US trips).

For operational reasons I don’t want to do the full type-rating at the moment.

Any help?

Chilli Monster
19th Sep 2007, 09:51
Get yourself a copy of FAR/AIM - the relevent section is 61.55.

Find an ATP (rated and current on type) who is prepared to examine you on the aircraft, with special regard to emergency procedures and aircraft systems.

Do 3 take-offs and landings with the ATP, during which you must be the sole manipulator of the controls. One of these must be assymetric.

Fill out the 8710 form, get him to countersign that and your logbook.

Make an appointment at a FSDO in the states (I have this from the IFO in New York, you can't do it over in Europe) and submit the paperwork through them. They will, if you've done it all right, issue you with a temporary certificate until your full one comes back to you.

Chippie Chappie
19th Sep 2007, 10:49
Hi Long Final,

You didn't mention who you'll be flying for nor the catagory of operation so forgive me if this is something you already know. For commercial ops in Europe, you'll need a full type rating to operate even a "N" registered aircraft. I'm not sure about private operations. What I'm getting at is it's worth investigating that you can get away with only a SIC check as others have fallen foul of this in the past.

Good luck

Chips

1Bingo
19th Sep 2007, 23:21
Chilli Monster's response is correct. I don't have FAR in front of me, but I thought it was 61.57. Anyway, it states that you can receive trainining on the laundry list of FAR training items from the Chief Pilot, or Chief of Training in a given organization. It's mostly a paperwork drill, but Chilli is also correct that you must present documentation to FSDO in the states.
Recommend you include a trainining letter from Chief Pilot/Training that all items accomplished - enhances the eyewash of the paperwork drill.

1 Bingo

1Bingo
19th Sep 2007, 23:23
PS - check pm's

Check 6
20th Sep 2007, 00:45
Here is 61.55 (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=a70984e2169b29276475c6fb59c7e2fe;rgn=div5;vie w=text;node=14%3A2.0.1.1.2;idno=14;cc=ecfr#14:2.0.1.1.2.1.1. 33). You don't have to buy the book.