PDA

View Full Version : UKOMA Ops Officer Course

AirScream
22nd Oct 2001, 02:00
Noticed on the UKOMA site (that JB007 linked to on this forum) that UKOMA offer a Ops Officer Course for those new to Ops. Anyone know anymore about this course and if it still runs?

Are there any other courses worth attending to enter this field ie Despatchers courses??

Cheers

TicketyBoo
23rd Oct 2001, 02:24
AirScream,

I believe it's run by the Ops Manager of Channel Express, who can be found via the UKOMA website, and runs 2 or 3 times a year subject to demand.

But are you sure you want to spend money training to enter an industry in economic freefall? It's a bit like someone in 1939 blowing their life savings on setting up a company offering tranquil walking holidays in the peaceful rural setting of western Poland!!!

TicketyBoo.

AirScream
23rd Oct 2001, 02:35
Thanks TicketyBoo
Yeah, know what you mean! But we must be near to the bottom of the curve?? It will pick up one day. Besides it's one of those industries that you just have to be a part of isn't it!?

The course seemed a good way to find out more. Have you attended the course?

The Groover
23rd Oct 2001, 17:35
I atended the course a good few years ago, when I could still fit behind a desk, great fun, learnt a lot, and also had some fantastic lash ups in Bournemouth.

Still often come across guys I was on the course with................bloody good value for money I say !

TG

-----------------------------------

That's the way its goin' down.......baby

TicketyBoo
23rd Oct 2001, 23:36
AirScream,

No, I've not done this course, but from perusing the syllabus it looks like it provides a pretty good grounding in the art and science of Flight Ops. If the Groover has taken the course then I'd go with his opinion that it's good value for money - it certainly beats the FAA dispatchers' course in, I seem to recall, Dallas, which was mentioned a few months ago on this forum and cost a good few thousand dollars.

As regards future economic prospects, it depends on your analysis of how bright Mr Bin Laden is:
A) he's a psychopath who likes killing lots of people, and once the present Unpleasantness is over we'll all return to business as normal, or
B) he's working to a clever strategy, of which we've only seen the opening shots, designed to topple the vulnerable points of a fragile, interlinked, global economic system, and allow the greed and short-termism which features so much in the Western economy to gradually implode the whole house of cards.

One hopes it's the former, but your guess is as good as mine! In any case, good luck if you go ahead with the course.

TicketyBoo.

(Edited for spelling)

[ 23 October 2001: Message edited by: TicketyBoo ]

Ballymoss
28th Oct 2001, 01:20
I think a house of cards would topple rather than implode.

TicketyBoo
28th Oct 2001, 01:12
No, it would implode, but only after the vulnerable points had toppled. I marshal my clichés like a china in a bullshop!

TicketyBoo.

Slotdesk
28th Oct 2001, 07:15
Did my UKOMA ops course back in '94. Holiday Inn , LGW...Very good course..even better nightlife.
One overiding memory was taking the "crucial" final exam on the last day and being very pleasantly surprised that we could use all of our course notes for reference !! No wonder the average pass mark was 98% !!
Wonder what ever did happen to Jerry from Jersey European??

peterc
28th Oct 2001, 11:58
SLOT DESK.
EX JEA IS NOW OPS MANAGER FOR EAAC.AND HE S THE *****,WHO S JUST MADE ME REDUNDANT.HEY HO LIFE GOES ON.

Edited to remove name!

[ 28 October 2001: Message edited by: JB007 ]

Ops1
29th Oct 2001, 07:23
UKOMA OPS COURSE IS GOOD FOR PEOPLE HOW HAVE NOT WORKED IN A OPS DEPT BEFORE BUT FOR THOSE WHO HAVE IT JUST ONE BIG **** UP!
I ENJOYED THE COURSE BUT I HAVE WORKED IN A OPS DEPT BEFORE SO THE COURSE WAS A BIT LONG. ALSO IT DEPENDS ON WHO IS RUNNING IT AND IF A CERTAIN OPS MANGER FROM MON IS ON IT YOU MIGHT WANT TO AVOID THAT COURSE.
BUT OTHER THAN THAT IT IS A GREAT COURSE, LOTS OF FUN AND YOU LEARN A LOT IF YOU ARE NEW TO OPERATIONS FROM SOME OF THE BEST IN THE GAME. ONE OF THE BEST DAYS ON THE COURSE WAS PHIL SMALLWOODS CREWING COURSE HE IS VERY GOOD.
HOPE THIS HELPS

no sig
30th Oct 2001, 02:20
Ops1 - The UKOMA course is an introductory course and of course is aimed at newish starts. And before commenting about any of the Ops managers who make this course possible in such a disparaging manner, you should aware that there are a number out there who have worked consistently on our industry's behalf to keep this course running since 1988, at virtually no cost to the airlines or students.

Hundreds of Ops bods have been through this course over the years and enjoyed it, as you seem to have done, but only because of the dedication of those Ops Managers who give and have given their time to support it. Show a little gratitude!

AirScream

The UKOMA course is an introduction to Operations and, although a great start, there is only so much you can do with a week. You will need to continue your studies after this course, it is not a subsitute for the likes of the FAA or ICAO Flt Ops courses.

[ 29 October 2001: Message edited by: no sig ]

Pan
30th Oct 2001, 03:56
The UKOMA course has a tough task of being something for everyone. Over the years it has, and continues, to evolve to being a very good grounding to those starting out or transfering between departments. It also gives people an insight to others roles within their own company. Most importantly it is a great place to make contacts. We are a very small profession and the people you meet there will move up through the industry with you. Even though we are all competing with each other in these tough times we all help one another when the need arises. This course I felt fosters this. This is very important in such a complex and highly regulated industry.

AirScream
30th Oct 2001, 16:37
Thanks Chaps
The UKOMA course sounds like a great grounding in Ops and what seems a very good point is that it is run by the very people that are practisicing the art in airlines. Member airlines providing staff to lecture on current topics - better than a retiree telling you how it used to be!!

no sig:
You mentioned FAA or ICAO Flt Ops courses, can you give me a steer toward course providers?

Thanks all

no sig
31st Oct 2001, 03:46
AirScream

Search the web for the FAA Dispatchers courses, re ICAO, FOO course Bolton Street College Dublin is the nearest I know of. There are moves afoot within the CAA to adopt the ICAO course as the UK standards for airline ops training(see FODCOM 9/2001 on the CAA SRG website. The only other option is the AVTECH City and Guild course.

vincecrosbie
31st Oct 2001, 04:51
Airscream
www.dispatcher.org (http://www.dispatcher.org)

This has a list of approved schools for FAA course - one that's recommended is www.airlinedispatcher.com (http://www.airlinedispatcher.com) - FAA it's still very much the US or nothing, although a company is rumoured to be setting it via the internet followed by the 6 day written / oral exam in the states only....

Mad-Air
15th Nov 2001, 09:44
BOH has been the place where the UKOMA courses have been held for the last few years. Anyone I know who's attended has had a good time. It's also a good place to meet other Ops/Crewing bods from other companies.
The "bloke from MON" runs the course (and is a bloody nice bloke when you actually get to know him!). There is a course currently running this week down at EAC. There is supposed to be be a course next month, but maybe canx'd due to lack of numbers (I know this as a mate of mine is supposed to be on it).
It's well worth the money......
:p :p